Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 25 March 2019 - How to learn a language in one hour a day

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article which explained the benefits of learning a language, and why it's best to learn it one hour a day:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190219-how-to-learn-a-language-in-an-hour-a-day

Vocabulary Top 10:

slog - a long period of hard work or effort

stave off - to keep (someone or something) away usually for a short time

tool kit - a set of tools; a personal set of resources, abilities, or skills

tier - a row or layer of things that is above another row or layer; a particular level in a group, organization, etc.

juggling - to do (several things) at the same time

suppress - to slow or stop the growth, development, or normal functioning of (something)

stamina - great physical or mental strength that allows you to continue doing something for a long time

gibberish - foolish, confused, or meaningless words

sporadic - happening often but not regularly : not constant or steady

blitz - a fast and powerful effort

What are your techniques to learn a language?
Do you think it's better to practice a little every day, or to have long sessions sporadically?

@april @taghried @Ezîza @Bassa @Shiny03 @gam01hr @aladdin @Reem @Just-Learn

Comments

• gam01hrgam01hr Posts: 105 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course I agree that smaller doses are better for the learning process and the brain has enough time to adjust. The motivation for learning foreign language was mentioned in the article. For me it was the need for improvement at my work. I think the learners should also learn how to find right motivation and positive attitude for learning.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    My rephrasing for a part of this article...
    To be bilingual isn't slog as many thought that you are going to face a loop of grammatical structure and many academic or slang words.
    It's possible to make progress in your learning through dedicating just one hour every day.
    There is a correlation between acquiring a new language and intelligence.It means you can achieve a higher score in your academic life/stuff, your IQ will be high as well.
    It's better if we focus on one source rather than many sources and confused ourselves or wasted our time.
    Although learning a new language for many means you'll cope with embarrassment in a way that makes us intimidate.but it deserves for our brain because it makes our brain more flexible to receive any new information, make multitasking, suppress irrelevant information and rearrange the priorities.
    If you decided to embark on a new language it's better to choose one without a lower difficulty to shun the mixing of words.
    Learning the basic of any language isn't hard.there are so many applications can help you to know the casual conversation by simple phrases and greetings
    Before you go too far while you learning you should know why are you need this language?! and it's important to have your personal motivations.