Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Tuesday Night Owls - 26 March 2019 - Can AI help stop bullying?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,172 Teacher
edited March 2019 in Technology and Games
We read about the advances in artificial intelligence that could help stop bullying online:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190207-how-artificial-intelligence-can-help-stop-bullying

Vocabulary Top 10:

withdraw - to stop spending time with other people : to spend more time alone and gradually stop talking to other people

overdose - an amount of a drug or medicine that is too much and usually dangerous

sarcastic - using words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny

stamp out - to stop or destroy (something bad)

deploy - to organize and send out (people or things) to be used for a particular purpose

pinpoint - to find or locate the exact position of (something)

rip into (someone) - to criticize (someone or something) in a very harsh or angry way

turn on (someone) - to attack or criticize (someone or something) in a sudden or unexpected way

unguarded - speaking carelessly without thinking about what you are saying : direct and honest especially when you should be cautious;

time-stamped - record of the day and time when something happened

Do you think that bullying online is just as serious as bullying in person?
What other techniques do you know to stop or prevent bullying?

@april @Shiny03 @Rema @Ezîza @filauzio @Mohamedgamal

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,163 mod
    Bullying online could be worse than bullying in person.
    The bullies don't need to know you, they could write anything they want (anonymous if necessary) and it will reach more people in the world and it's difficult to get rid of it.
    Bullying in person, at school or at work, could be prevented by going to the supervisor and try to solve the problem.
    Not always works of course, especially for school children when bullies threaten the victim to not saying anything to anyone.
    If you are bullied by unknown on the street, like what often happens to a lot of young or old WOMEN, you could try to ignore that person, as long as it is only verbal bullying.
    There will be less witnesses about the humiliation you have undergone at that moment, only people on that street, who sometimes don't care to try to help you. :(

About this sexual harassment on the street towards women, recently there was an experiment to change the role.
    A couple of women on the street, played by actresses, shouted at men, commenting about how they look like, their backside, their beard, their nose and saying nasty words which mostly shouted at women.
    The result, as you can expect, some men had the opinion that women shouldn't do that, because it was not polite.
    Doing sexual harassment is apparently more typical men and women have the role to undergo that. :o

Anyway, bullying is an "illness" which is difficult to cure especially if they are in a group, but we don't have to accept it.
    Anything that can help is welcome and I hope someday AI will be succesful to really punish the bullies and cure them from this illness.

Let's bully the bullies!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what @april wrote:

' Bullying online could be worse than bullying in person.
    The bullies don't need to know you, they could write anything they want (anonymous if necessary) and it will reach more people in the world and it's difficult to get rid of it... '

That's the point: bullying online could reach a much larger audience, potentially an universal one, that's why its consequences could be lethal.

Then there's the problem of age: adolescents are very mentally fragile: they are undergoing a physical process of growth where their gender identity gradually set along with their morphology, where hormones play a key role.

They begin feeling attraction to the other sex, but in a very turbulent, stormy way: to the point at their age you can also literally make up your mind to die for love.

Friendships tighten and competitiveness is what you constantly tackle with.

You join your peers and form a group and start to enjoy sharing experience of life; your life has definitely turned more gregarious, sociable.

In the case of male adolescents, though, joining a group equal to joining a pack of wolves; like with wolves a leader must be chosen; unfortunately, though, most often the dominant male turns out to be the most ruthless bully too.

His exclusive prerogative then, dictated by its winner role, is to continually challenging the shyest, shrinking members of the company, the most clumsy, the most unfit to any sports or exercise, in a word the doomed losers.

For their part, the victims can suffer deeply by being the invariable target of the leader together with his coward accomplices: to the point so that it's no surprise they could also think of taking their own life.

I think when you're an adolescent, the purpose of committing suicide can pass and linger much more easily in your mind than when you've passed that age.

That early age in your existence, your soul is like an extremely sensitive photographic film where any insults, offences, abuse, especially if felt as unfair and undeserved, get indelibly impressed.

It remains as a painful scar, something you feel like a stigma, an umbearable shame you can't absolutely put up with:

your adolescent's mind's eyes magnify anything even when wholly unworthy.

You get a close-up of any frames of the abuse and they keep haunting you relentlessly.

I myself recall once being fallen victim of a collective mockery by my company and the girl I had fallen for, without being reciprocated, if only with a smile which actually could suffice the sixteen-aged me.

As a consequence of such ' bullying ' I recall withdrawing from my friends while spending all summer afternoon sitting on a wall and brooding over the terrible episode;

I really felt helpless, couldn't find a way out and even thought of the best way, perhaps even spectacular way to take my life.

That's why any means are welcomed to combat this hateful behaviour, especially when perpetraded as a routine and online too.

Artificial intelligence powered machine learning algorithms can certainly help:

other than quickly performing the detection and stopping the abusive comments, they could maybe also operate as though they were the real victims reacting boldly to their bullies.

I'd like if the artificial intelligence could take on the appearances of the victim and perform a digital haka in front of any bullies to show them you don't fear them anymore.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !