Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

An interesting song for Italian learners

TeachTeach Your TeacherHomePosts: 10,310 mod

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahahah, @Teach, this is difficult to me too, even though I'm Italian, this is Sicilian dialect.

You know there are 20 regions in Italy and each one has got a dialect which can't be understood from people outside the region itself.

Therefore I would rather say they are authentic different language from one another, and, in turn, absolutely different from the mother language Italian.

I coud only grasp a few words:

' O' mammà, mi voglio marità ' translates into ' Oh mum, I want to get married '

' Pisce fritt'e baccalà ' translates into ' fried fish and baccalà ', this latter is the common name of salted cod's fillet, we also have as a traditional food in Liguria.

' Dammi nua uagliotta che mi voglio marità ' ' Give me a girl that I want to get married '

' Figghia mia a cu te dari ' ' my daughter whom I'm going to give you ( as a bride ) ? '

' Mamma mia pensaci tu ' ' Mum, you have to think about that '

' Si ci pigghia la fantasia ' ' if he gets the whim, the sudden caprice '

The rest of the song's lyrics is quite obscure, it takes... an Italian to translate LOL

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,310 mod
    Thanks @filauzio .

You just gave away a huge clue in the "Where in the world" challenge. :D I wonder if anyone will notice. ;)

I found a translation online - see the link under the video, but I am not sure if it is accurate or not. However, it is a funny song.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭✭
    :blush: