Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday & Thursday Night Owls - 9 April 2019 - The people who eat the same meal everyday

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article about people who eat the same meal for lunch everyday!

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2019/03/eating-the-same-thing-lunch-meal/584347/

Vocabulary Top 10:

accompaniment - something that is added to another thing to make it better or more appealing;

proclivity - a strong natural liking for something that is usually bad : a tendency to do something that is usually bad

purveyor - a person or business that sells or provides something

rut - a situation or way of behaving that does not change which is boring

quirk - an unusual habit or way of behaving

indictment - an expression or statement of strong disapproval

drive - a strong desire for success; a strong natural need or desire

streak - a period of repeated success or failure

regimen - a plan or set of rules about food, exercise, etc., to make someone become or stay healthy

attire - clothing

Do you always eat the same lunch, or do you change it every day?
Would you be able to eat the same thing every day? If so, what would you eat?

@Shiny03 @Acha @taghried @april @Ezîza @Rema @filauzio @hocon @Reem @Maatuq @julianobastos

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    edited April 2019
    No, I always have a different lunch every day.
    One day I eat sandwich with cheese, then sandwich with ham, another day I eat pancakes or pizza or omelette or noodles or hamburger or hot dog or ... nothing if I have no inspiration anymore.
    Sometimes I eat the same for two days, but never for years that's for sure.
    A lot of variety, isn't it?
    I'm the lucky one but remember, I don't have to work so I have the possibility to do this.
    To be honest, even with these lot of choices there is always a day that I think: "I have enough with all these meals! Always the same meal!"
    No, I don't think I would be able to eat the same lunch every day, although I give my grandson the same breakfast every morning; oatmeal porridge. :)
    I'm waiting until he can complain and says:"Grandma, I have enough with this oats breakfast!" :smile:

Let me tell you a joke about this "eating the same lunch every day".
    Four builders are having lunch.
    They are sitting on the roof of the building where they are working.
    Builder A is British, builder B is German, builder C is Dutch and builder D is Belgian.
    Builder A says: "Let's see what we have for lunch."
    Builder B opens his lunch box, looks inside and says:" My wife makes my lunch. It's always the same every day; sandwich with wurst! For many years already! I'm really fed up with it. I can't take it anymore. I don't want to live anymore!" and he jumps down and dead.
    Builder C, he too, opens his lunch box, looks inside and says: "My wife makes my lunch too. Every day she gives me sandwich with cheese! Me too, I'm fed up. My life is finish now!" and he jumps off the roof and dead.
    Builder D opens his lunch box, takes out a sandwich with jam and starts to eat and he says: "Don't look at me! I'm not going to jump! I make my sandwich myself every day!"

Post edited by april on
  • hoconhocon Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I consider myself that eating meals is art of my life so my meals are different day by day if I have time to prepare. I am so busy with my work but I always try to make more colourful accompaniments. For the meal base I can keep the same for 3 lunches in a row such as pasta or rice, and I need to have added food for each day. There can be combination of rice and chicken or rice and beef. The decoration for meal is the most important thing of my meal, the main ingredients is carrot or green vegetables that makes my meal looking good and luxury.
    I have different main meals but the same breakfast every second week. I spend more time for sleeping so the breakfast should be shorter. I always eat oatmeal porridge and dark bread with cheese. I really want to change this rut that I need to go to bed on time and wake up on next day earlier then I have more time to prepare the breakfast better.
    Thanks for the sections bringing this topic to discuss. I will not feel alone if some days I get lazy and eat the same food everyday.
    Cheer,
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    @april you brought up a very important point - you are able to make different things because you don't have to go to work. I think taking the same thing every day can be a lot easier for people who don't have that flexibility, or don't have the time to prepare different things to take with them to work.

I think that if your grandson gets tired of eating oats, you won't have to wait for him to start talking; he will probably start throwing them around the room instead of eating them! :#

I have heard this joke before @april , but with a slightly different ending. All of the builders jumped, and at the end, the wives were talking. Most of them said 'I wish he had told me, I would have made something different' except for the last wife, who said 'But he made his own lunch!'
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    @hocon it's definitely important to enjoy what you are eating! And I think you have found a good balance, keeping some elements in your meal the same, but changing some parts so you always have something new and delicious to eat.

Breakfast is the meal that I think most people don't change very often. I think our brains don't work so well very early in the morning, so it's easier just to eat the same thing! But it's nice on the days when you wake up early, or you have some extra time, to make something a little different. Maybe some others here on the forum can give you some ideas for different breakfasts to try!
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you be able to eat the same thing every day? If so, what would you eat?
    My answer is rice. I remember Manu said, 'but you have to eat it with other dishes!'. I think he might think that rice is plain and tasteless (considering its color), however, Japanese rice is different. I know it's hard to believe. I can just eat plain rice but can't just eat noodle and pasta without sauce or other ingredients or rice from the other countries. Moreover, if I don't eat rice once a day, I feel like I didn't eat any meal a day.
    Besides, believe it or not, this is happening not a long time ago, we give our children rice ball as after school snacks.

Of course, we have varieties of onigiri these days.

So cute. This is genius.

Do I successfully whet your appetite for rice ball @filauzio ? :smiley:
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definetly yes, you did @Shiny03, thank you for wonderful comment. ;)

It's been just a week since I first went to a restaurant and tasted the kind of rice preparation you displayed in the second picture from above Shiny.

You call them onigiri , I thought I should call them little cakes of sushi: I found them tasty and delicious.

I'm not sure of their exact ingredients though, because it was a buffet restaurant and had to serve myself to many different unlabelled trays full of delicacies.

You wrote:

' ... I remember Manu said, 'but you have to eat it with other dishes!'. I think he might think that rice is plain and tasteless (considering its color), however, Japanese rice is different. I know it's hard to believe. I can just eat plain rice but can't just eat noodle and pasta without sauce or other ingredients or rice from the other countries ... '

You have a point: in my country they mostly sell locally grown rice, whose most popular and high quality varieties are called arborio and carnaroli.

I usually eat rice boiled or steamed; I prefer the second way because the rice remain more healthy and nutritious though; also vitamins are retained and not lost in cooking water.

Then, when boiling, you risk the rice to end up overdone and tasteless.

Then, you know, we eat it as the first serving of a meal: the so-called risotto.

It is a hot dish made of boiled rice with an added accompaniment at choice among meat, molluscs clamps ( kind of shell-fish ), vegetables, cheese and whatever else: the sky it's the limit, you just have to exert your creativity to invent ever new couplings and culinary creations.

To cite but a few, you can have:

risotto ai 4 formaggi ( boiled rice with a choice of four cheeses, for instance Parmesan, gorgonzola, stracchino and so on ).

risotto agli asparagi ( boiled rice with asparagus )

risotto alla Milanese ( Milan-style risotto, with saffron spice, where the rice assume an intense orange-yellow colour and it's very tasty ).

red chicory risotto ( with accompaniment of a chopped red bitter salad originating from Treviso, a Veneto region town ).

However, I could never think to eat plain rice, unless I added a bit olive oil or butter and sprinkled it with ground sage leaves.

I wish I could taste Japanese rice then, one day, maybe also as a cold meal to go. It would be my best choice for a workplace lunch break.

I definetly don't care so much about what kind of meal I'm going to eat day by day though.

There's a saying that I've adopted as my slogan: I don't live to eat, I eat to live.

But there's some food I couldn't do without: milk, eggs, cheese, rye bread, chicken and turkey meat, peppers and aubergine.. oohh I love aubergines cooked with tomatoes sauce and mozzarella. B)

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • bfluentmanishbfluentmanish Posts: 328 Inactive
    Hello,everyone.
    For me it's really difficult to repeat same meal everyday. I am from north India so eat 'chapati' (Chapati is a Indian cuisine in Europe you can compare with wheat bread) daily, but in my home my spouse change vegetables and pulses everyday so our food remains interesting whole week and month.
    Here are some dishes name from North Indian cuisine.
    Barbecue Wheat Bread.
    Butter Dal.
    Awadhi Biryani.
    Chole Bhature.
    Naan/Rumali Roti.
    Litti Chokha.
    Baigan Bharta.
    Kashmiri Dum Aloo.
    Alu Gobi. Alu Gobi is a dry dish made with potatoes (aloo), cauliflower (gobi) and Indian spices.
    Curry Pakoda
    Corn flour bread.
    Mustard leaves Vegetable (Sarso ka Saag)
    Tandoori Chicken.
    Malai Kofta.
    All dishes are mouthwatering and contains very nice aroma.
    I am unable to post any images of these items to explain better as i don't know how to paste images on the post.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @hocon - Happy forumversary:-

I consider eating well part of my life, so my meals are different every day, if I have the time to prepare them, but I am so busy with work. However, I always try to make more colourful accompaniments. I tend to eat the same staple 3 lunches in a row, such as pasta or rice, and then I add a different accompaniment each day. This can be a combination of rice and chicken, or rice and beef. The decoration of the meal is the most important thing for me, the main ingredients for this are carrots or green vegetables, which makes my meal look nice and luxurious.

I vary my main meal, but I eat the same breakfast every second week. I prefer to spend more time sleeping, so my breakfast has to be quick and easy. I always eat porridge and dark bread with cheese. I think I am in a rut, and really want to change this, but I need to go to bed on time and wake up earlier so that I have more time to prepare breakfast.

Thanks for these sections, and for creating this topic to discuss. I will not feel so alone if some days I am lazy and eat the same food every day.

Cheers.