Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

A milkman's child

HermineHermine Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭✭
Our local radio channel offers discussions of various subjects. The whole state is encouraged to give statements.

This weekend a new topic was given. If you are pregnant, would you tell your husband the truth that the future father isn't him?

Let me tell you first what it means to be ' A milkman's child'. Your parents are married to each other and your mother is pregnant with you, but not from your future father. The father mustn't be the milkman it could be any other man where she had s.e.x. with.
Shall she tell her husband the truth or not?

What do you think about such a situation, would you tell and what could the consequents on by not telling.

In Austria, so they say, each tenth child is a milkman's. If a schoolclass has got 20 pupils then there sit two.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,393 ✭✭✭✭
    @Hermine they use the same analogy in the UK especially if a child doesn't look anything like the parents.

I have the feeling that in the majority of cases, the husband would have every right to want to walk out and get a divorce for such a betrayal.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    >To say nothing would be the easiest way, for the moment. But there could occur things where the lie has no chance to stay upright.
    If I were a man and would learn the truth after years, it will distroy me.

Not only the man is cheated also the child.
    It could always have been the postman if it wasn't the milkman @Hermine. They often get blamed too.
    We say 'peekapoo's childˋ. It's better so I think, non of them can be accused. I've read the Americans use to say postman and in England it's the milkman.

We never had a milkman, we always had to buy our milk at shops or directly from the farmers.
    There seems to be a come-back for milkmen delivering milk to the front door in a few places (especially using glass bottles) @hermine. Up until the 1990s it was still very common.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29327881

Isn't it strange. When I hear the paperboy delievering the newspaper to every singl household I just switch on my computer and read the news in e-paper style, without leaving bed.

We never got the possibility to get the milk to the house. But I'd like somebody does my errands, or just the shoppings. It's not common here but some shops offer a delievering by buying from a certain sum. I'll keep on an eye when I'm getting older.
    I never did a paper round @Hermine. I know that hardcopy newspapers still get sold, but I wonder for how long. Most in the UK have started to charge you for access on the internet, which is fair enough. The Guardian relies on voluntary contributions, though I don't know how long it will survive in this way.

I have noticed how most supermarkets these days offer free delivery for orders over 50€ and at Carrefour I think it is easy to order everything online and have it all delivered. I'm sure the day will come when I will be very glad to avail myself of this service.
    For the use of e-paper we've had to subcribe the local newspaper. My husband uses to read the hardcopy version, I only got a few papes at a time to read.
    Now it is 40 min. after midnight and the newspaper is ready to read. So I've already read the today's news through. (onine)
    Three mounteneers are allegedly came under an avalanche in Canada. One of the man's name is David Lama (28). I'm not 100 percent sure, he is from Nepal.
    I will have a look for this news item @Hermine or maybe you can fill us in at today's session. I have a Nepali friend in Canada but he's an engineer and his name is Sherpa.
    mheredge said:

I will have a look for this news item @Hermine or maybe you can fill us in at today's session. I have a Nepali friend in Canada but he's an engineer and his name is Sherpa.

mheredge said:

I made a big mistake in one of my privious posts here. It's not a peekaboo's child (that is a children's play) I meant 'cuckooˋ. Sorry about that. And sorry about the copies I just did before.
    There's a long list of synonyms to the milkman's child @Hermine. Some I have never heard of too!

bar sinister
    bastard
    bastard child
    bend sinister
    by-blow
    child born without benefit of clergy
    love child
    nullius filius
    out-of-wedlock child
    whoreson

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/illegitimate child

Sunday child and miracle baby are ones I have heard of. There is an even longer list here, but no milkman's child.

http://dare.wisc.edu/survey-results/1965-1970/family-relationships/z11b
    There should be a contest between postmen and milkmen @Hermine. I'm not sure who would win.

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/dna-tests-prove-retired-postman-has-over-1300-illegimitate-children/

“I have nothing to be ashamed of. The 60s were the good old days and I did a great Johnny Cash impression which played out real good with the ladies,” he explained.
    I always found the name bastard is so what of brutal. It should be taken from any language.

It belongs to human rights that this word shouldn't be allowed.
    Perhaps the father (a swine) had his pleasure and was never found again. The innocent child has to live a hard life.
    I know a famous former German cancellour who suffered a life-time-long of this situation.
    Whereas love-child is good.
    You might like Dave Allen's jokes on the subject @Hermine. (Religion and seduction were often the subject of his gags).