Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

luxury or budget?

ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
would you consider giving an extra and a good amount of money just to avail luxury, specifically when travelling?

for me I'd prefer the saving money unless the conditions are very harsh, I was being persuaded into a decision to travel by an air conditioner enabled train whose fare nearly costed three times that of a normal sleeper class, but some people prefer luxury and only luxury, which I don't like. Unless there is a great need average conditions will do fine for me, what do you think?
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,096 ✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha I like your question @ech0pandit as people often ask me this too. Though having experienced India trains.... I know how comfortable the AC compartments are compared to the 2nd class ones, full of screaming kids and fans that clank noisily through the night if they work at all.

Also it depends how long your journey is. If it is quite short, then roughing it should not be too hard. I still think I'd probably go for the cheaper berth and to be honest, I have travelled many times long distance this way and only a few times have had journeys that were not good.

I prefer to travel a lot and could never afford to do it so much if I travelled in style!
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited April 20
    It is really close to what you described, how much annoying trains in India can be but I love them, and most of the times I get seats with an old couple, I get into conversation with them and then the travel is more easy. I got offered tea many times because they tend to bring thermos flask with them, I'd easily know when the farms are in the surrounding while travelling because of the smell of manure, it is really unique now days even though it is a foul smell but seems to complete my part of journey, the beggars and then some train hawkers with a good jolly nature, playing cards with them is really fun, and the unexpected stop that delays the train's arrival is the best time to get out on the platform and stretch your legs, it is best in the morning because of the feeling of the cold mist with sharp sun on the skin can be described like sugar with some salt like a caramel !! and not to forget the sight of people fighting over a seat or the ticket checker rebuking someone. these all things give me a kind of satisfaction that an air conditioned berth can't.especially the stretching bit is best part because it makes me feel the nature.
    You bring back happy memories of many long train journeys in India @ech0pandit. The few AC journeys I have taken have never been at all memorable and though my bum may have been a bit more comfortable, they were very boring. Go second class!
    The only way I could book a seat on a train that I have to catch next week was to go first class. However the fare was still very cheap. Second class it would have been give away.
    I am travelling this week back to my home and it is a sleeper class train the weather might not be so kind but I think the journey will be awesome.
    I have travelled only a couple of time in AC sleeper class on trains in India and I remember it was very comfortable @ech0pandit. Normally I have been in second class where it's hit or miss, depending on how crowded the train is. One time I woke to feel a weight on my legs. I nearly kicked it off, but fortunately looked to see what it was. Someone had put their baby on my legs! The train had become packed during the night, I'm sure too that most of the additional passengers didn't even have tickets and had just all crowded in to the train along the way.
    edited June 2
    hahaha I think it is fine people don't understand here the word patience or what's right, I've come across an experience which depicts that we Indians in some way or other, will have this thinking that what's no one's is ours and some people do not wish to challenge or repel this kind of attitude that is why I think it is growing, so kicking the baby was right I guess LOL hahaha either way you weren't conscious back then so no fault in that.Today my friend went back home just because someone had hurt his ego/pride pardon me for confusing those two, he just went for a journey of 19 hours long without getting a reservation.
    The metro in Calcutta was the worst I've been on as it was almost impossible to get out of the carriage. Everyone was trying to push to get on without letting passengers get off first.

In Singapore and Japan people wait in line, to one side of the doors and let everyone alight before getting in, without pushing.