Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

The Earth needs help! (Earth day 2019) ~ Dora.

DoraDora Teacher's PetPosts: 5,394 mod
Different countries (having people) with totally different cultures, customs and traditions have one thing in common. They share the same planet i.e, the Earth. The Earth is the only planet in our solar system that sustains life. No matter what our differences are, being Earthians, it's our responsibility to keep our motherland safe.

The question then arises is: How can we save the Earth? Good question. But most importantly: Why do we need to save it? (and from what?)
First things first.

>> Why do we need to save our planet?

You may have heard of the term Greenhouse Effect. But do you know what it is? Just like a greenhouse, our Earth has a natural warming system called greenhouse effect. It works the same as the greenhouse (a glasshouse; used for the protection of tender plants). During daytime the Earth's surface warms up; the gases like carbon dioxide in our atmosphere traps the heat from the Sun just like the glass roof of the greenhouse and thus are known as heat-trapping gases or greenhouse gases. At night, when the Earth's surface is cooler, this trapped heat comes in handy to keep our atmosphere warm and cozy.
During recent years, the level of the greenhouse gases in our atmosphere has increased, due to human activity. This has resulted in more absorption of heat from the atmosphere thus causing global warming. Not only that, this change has affected the Earth's climate overall, as some places are actually getting way cooler than before.

Now,

>> How can we save the Earth?

Following are some simple steps:

=> Start from yourself. You should be aware of the things that are harmful to the planet. When you have enough knowledge, you can also educate others about its aspects.
=> Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Remember the three R's? Follow them to conserve the natural resources.
=> Plant a tree. Trees provide food and oxygen. They help save energy, clean the air, and help combat climate change.
=> Using energy efficient light bulbs reduce the emission of greenhouse gases!

Today (April 22nd, 2019) is the 49th Earth's Day. The theme for Earth Day 2019 is: Protect Our Species, which attempts to draw attention to the rapid extinction of species around the world.
As per Earth Day Network,
The Earth Day Network, responsible for running Earth Day, says 40 percent of the world's 11,000 bird species are in decline and 75 percent of the world's coral reefs are under stress.

We need to remember that together we can change the world.
“Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.”

- Ryunosuke Satoro

---
I look forward to your feedbacks. Thank you!!
"Like rain, I fell for you."

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    I was never aware of Earth Day until I was living in Nepal (I have a few friends working at WWF). I am pleased that at last more and more people seem to be better aware of the damage humans are causing to our planet. Better late than never. However it is not going to be easy to stop the huge amounts of waste and pollution that is threatening our planet.

I am trying to do my bit by avoiding using plastic whenever I can, by buying things loose, taking my own cloth shopping bag to avoid plastic wrapping and plastic bags. I learned how to conserve water by living in Kathmandu where every drop counts, so I still continue the good habits I got into there (and electricity).

Well done @Dora for drawing attention to such an important issue.

Maybe other members would like to comment on what they are trying to do to help save our planet. @Hermine, @april, @practical_severard, @Vok, @ech0pandit, @filauzio, @reem, @shiny03, @walter?
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22
    I am always conscious of how much of a resource I am using, be it water, air fuel etc, and moreover I am using public vehicles whenever I can or I just rent a bike, most of all I spread happiness and not hatred, sometimes I hug the sweepers and I say to them you are doing great work and there smile is priceless. I am controlling my habit of throwing the plastic wrappers . I planted a mango tree and I will be planting some banyan and peepal trees specifically because of there special properties. I will write more as the things come to my consciousness because there is nothing more that I can remember.
    @ech0pandit you are taking the words out of my mouth! I always try to say 'good morning' to the road sweeper and dustmen as they do such an important job, but most people walk past and ignore them. And that you are conscious of not throwing litter on the pavement fills me with hope for India, where I know it is only starting to be something people realise they can't continue to do. I have told off so many people on the trains for throwing their rubbish out the window. They always just laugh and say 'everyone does it.' To which I always respond 'if everyone in India (over a billion inhabitants) keeps throwing their rubbish out it won't take long to be buried in it!'

I have only ever planted one tree and I can say proudly that it was in India too!
    haha yes @mheredge it is very true and that is mostly because of lack of education or some corrupt minded people leading the others into doing miserable things to the nature.
    Teachers are often poor examples @ech0pandit yet if they really wanted to, they could make a huge difference by teaching children about the environment and not to throw rubbish everywhere. In a few place where I have seen teachers set a good example, the kids are teaching their parents @ech0pandit!
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 8,016 mod
    It's not easy to avoid plastic litter. Everything is multiple wrapped in plastic.

After paying the clothes the sales assistant will ask you if you want a plastic bag and it would cost some small coins.

In all of my bags is another bag in case I buy more than one bag could hold. In my handbag there is a tiny ball and by opening the zip a big bag approaches.
    I don't let my husband go for shopping without giving him a bag from home.

I'm more a practical person and don't need much to wear and so is my houshold.
    that is a great thing to do @Hermine, that is initial and very hard step to follow because people forget these small things and then they pile up to be humongous, like the plastic is now in the seas and ground.
    I do the same @Hermine. I always carry spare bags wherever I go. Many are cloth bags too, but I usually take a few plastic ones to wrap messy things or cold things from the fridge if I'm food shopping. They are always very useful.

I never knew the history behind Earth Day until this morning, when I saw this article. Apparently it goes way back to the 1960s following what was then the worst oil spill disaster ever, off the Californian beaches of Santa Barbara. The usual problem, the oil drillers were taking short-cuts that led to the blow-out which then led to what is still counted as the third worst oil spill.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-oil-spill-50-years-ago-inspired-first-earth-day-180972007/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190422-daily-responsive&spMailingID=39499900&spUserID=NTAwNzI1NjkzMDcwS0&spJobID=1501932578&spReportId=MTUwMTkzMjU3OAS2

• VokVok Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't say I'm an ardent tree hungger, but I do my bit to make sure my footprint is reduced to minimum. I've cut to the bone the amount of clothes I buy long ago. I try not to throw away food. I don't use a car when it's possible and walk instead. I'm not sure it helps much. I've heard that in order to make a really big difference we should stop eating meat and, thus preventing further deforestation. As our crave for meat increases more and more area is needed for the cattle and pastures.
    edited April 23
    Great turn of phrase @Vok. I always chuckle at the thought of tree huggers wrapping their arms around trees.

"As our craving for meat increases, more area is needed for the cattle and pastures."

I don't think I will ever give up meat, but I tend to crave it less and less. I wonder whether meat production is in fact rising these days.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,157 mod
    @Dora - Here is your bonus correction:-

Different countries, even those with totally different cultures, customs and traditions, have one thing in common, they share the same planet: The Earth. Earth is the only planet in our solar system that sustains life. No matter what our differences are, being "Earthians", it's our responsibility to keep our home liveable.

The question then arises: How can we save the Earth? Good question. But most importantly: Why do we need to save it (and from what)?

First things first.
    >> Why do we need to save our planet?
    You may have heard of the term 'the greenhouse effect'. But do you know what it is? Just like a greenhouse, our Earth has a natural warming system called the greenhouse effect. It works in the same way as a greenhouse (a glasshouse; used for the protection of tender plants). During the daytime the Earth's surface warms up; gases, like carbon dioxide in our atmosphere, trap the heat from the Sun just like the glass roof of a greenhouse, and thus are known as heat-trapping gases or greenhouse gases. At night, when the Earth's surface cools, this trapped heat comes in handy to keep our atmosphere warm and cozy.

In recent years, the level of greenhouse gases in our atmosphere has increased, due to human activity. This has resulted in more absorption of heat from the atmosphere, thus creating global warming. Not only that, this change has affected the Earth's climate overall, as some places are actually getting way cooler than before.

Now,
    >> How can we save the Earth?

Here are some simple steps:

=> Start with yourself. You should be aware of the things that are harmful to the planet. When you have enough knowledge, you can also educate others about these aspects.
    => Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Remember the three R's? Follow them to conserve natural resources.
    => Plant a tree. Trees provide food and oxygen. They help save energy, clean the air, and help combat climate change.
    => Using energy efficient light bulbs reduces the emission of greenhouse gases!

Today (April 22nd, 2019) is the 49th Earth Day. The theme for Earth Day 2019 is: Protect Our Species, which attempts to draw attention to the rapid extinction of species around the world.
    According to the Earth Day Network, the organisation responsible for organising Earth Day: 40 percent of the world's 11,000 bird species are in decline and 75 percent of the world's coral reefs are under stress.

We need to be aware that together we can change the world.
    “Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.”

- Ryunosuke Satoro
  • DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 5,394 mod
    Thank you, @Teach. :smiley: Thank you very much.

I have some confusion here.
    Different countries, even those with totally different cultures, customs and traditions, ....

Talking about the correction. In the part above, the words that I've highlighted, I don't think I mean it. I just wanted to tell that how different all the states are from each other. The phrase 'even those' emphasize on some of them, while every other country has its own culture. Can I write something like this instead?
    Different countries having/with totally different.......

Can you please explain this to me?
    Vok said:

I've heard that in order to make a really big difference we should stop eating meat and, thus preventing further deforestation. As our crave for meat increases more and more area is needed for the cattle and pastures.

I'm bewildered, @Vok. How come our craving for meat relates to deforestation?
    mheredge said:

I was never aware of Earth Day until I was living in Nepal (I have a few friends working at WWF). I am pleased that at last more and more people seem to be better aware of the damage humans are causing to our planet. Better late than never. However it is not going to be easy to stop the huge amounts of waste and pollution that is threatening our planet.

I am trying to do my bit by avoiding using plastic whenever I can, by buying things loose, taking my own cloth shopping bag to avoid plastic wrapping and plastic bags. I learned how to conserve water by living in Kathmandu where every drop counts, so I still continue the good habits I got into there (and electricity).

Well done @Dora for drawing attention to such an important issue.

Thank you, @mheredge. April 22nd has been marked as the Earth Day since the first one in 1970.

I'm glad that you're doing your part. Great going! Sometimes, we give up on our good habits thinking that we can't change the world alone. But that's not true. We should keep trying, shouldn't we?

.... most of all I spread happiness and not hatred, sometimes I hug the sweepers and I say to them you are doing great work and there smile is priceless. I am controlling my habit of throwing the plastic wrappers. I planted a mango tree and I will be planting some banyan and peepal trees specifically because of their special properties.....

Great going @ech0pandit! Where have you been plating the trees? :)
  • VokVok Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭
    @Dora very simple. The more we eat meat, the more cattle must be kept to produce this meat. As a result we need more grazing area for herding cattle leading to cutting forests down to meet the need.
    @Vok- Ah, okay. Now I get it. :) Thanks! So, I am doing my part because I'm a vegetarian (not a pure one though).
    @Dora on Saturday there is a cleanup festival in my city. I am very proud to be part of this. Best of all is that the local politicians are being convinced to join in too and get their hands dirty for a change. The more of this sort of thing, the better.

https://www.facebook.com/events/328156907854717/

https://www.facebook.com/everyday.earth.page/videos/1032527046948587/?t=2

Years ago I was really inspired by The Ugly Indian in Bangalore where the local inhabitants used to actively promote and go around cleaning up their city. They are still going but now in many more cities in India.

According to the data, global warming has decreased the wealth of individuals in the world’s poorest countries by 17 to 31 percent. Meanwhile, the world’s richest countries, which are responsible for pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, have benefitted from temperature increase. Most wealthy nations became roughly 10 percent richer over the same time period. Overall, the gap between Earth’s wealthiest and poorest nations is 25 percent larger than it would be without warming.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/climate-change-has-worsened-income-inequality-over-last-50-years-180972021/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190423-daily-responsive&spMailingID=39510579&spUserID=NTAwNzI1NjkzMDcwS0&spJobID=1502024244&spReportId=MTUwMjAyNDI0NAS2

and that is why people are getting angrier than the earlier times, every other person is hot headed now days, People do not understand patience, honesty .
    This article is asking how tourism can help celebrate Earth Day.

https://news.wtm.com/how-should-tourism-mark-earth-day-2019/
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

I am always conscious of how much of a resource I am using, be it water, air fuel etc, and moreover I am using public vehicles whenever I can or I just rent a bike, most of all I spread happiness and not hatred, sometimes I hug the sweepers and I say to them you are doing great work and there smile is priceless. I am controlling my habit of throwing the plastic wrappers . I planted a mango tree and I will be planting some banyan and peepal trees specifically because of there special properties. I will write more as the things come to my consciousness because there is nothing more that I can remember.

It's good to be conscious about things like that. If everyone else had the same attitude as you, I think that the planet would be in a much better state than it is at the moment.
    It will be interesting to see what the turnout will be at tomorrow's cleanup in Nice.
    Bon voyage, @mheredge. Looking forward to hear from you. :smiley:
    My friend who is teaching in Mongolia took this photo of her students cleaning up the surrounding area. Even there they found litter left by picnics and visitors.

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 8,016 mod
    Mucky pups are everywhere. I regularly collect butts around the house.

Great job, btw.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dora wrote:

' ... No matter what our differences are, being Earthians, it's our responsibility to keep our motherland safe. ... '

Me too ? I mean I am Earhtian too ? WOW, this is great news, thank you !!!
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    edited April 27
    filauzio said:

Me too ? I mean I am Earhtian too ? WOW, this is great news, thank you !!!

Were you doubtful, @filauzio? :smiley: I hope the Martian air hasn't affected you. ;)
    @Hermine I shouldn't have been surprised but cigarette butts were littered everywhere and probably made up about half of the total weight of all the garbage we collected in the streets of the town today. The town hall had a display of useful things that people can use including a container for cigarette butts which I'd never seen before. I think anyone who smokes should be required to use one and penalised if they just throw their butts on the ground and don't put them in the rubbish bin.