Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

The Earth needs help! (Earth day 2019) ~ Dora.

124

Comments

  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm much too lazy @Hermine.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I see that Britain is being reported as lagging behind on exploiting solar energy. I was also drawn to the comment Gemma made about how in the UK there is not much incentive given to homeowners to insulate their homes. I noticed today adverts in France for subsidies to even insulate garages and cellars.

    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/06/uk-risks-losing-out-europe-home-battery-boom-report-warns
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I see that Britain is being reported as lagging behind on exploiting solar energy. I was also drawn to the comment Gemma made about how in the UK there is not much incentive given to homeowners to insulate their homes. I noticed today adverts in France for subsidies to even insulate garages and cellars.

    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/06/uk-risks-losing-out-europe-home-battery-boom-report-warns

    We have solar panels on our roof and they are fantastic in the weather we have at the moment, as they bring our energy bills down a lot! I think more people should have them installed if they can.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could have solar panels. Unfortunately I doubt I would be able to persuade the dozens of residents in the block of flats I live in to make the investment.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I wish I could have solar panels. Unfortunately I doubt I would be able to persuade the dozens of residents in the block of flats I live in to make the investment.

    Are the flats owned by the same people people, or is there a management company? I used to live in a flat and the management company increased the service fee by £10 per month for a year for each flat, and that paid for panels, which cut our bills, so it was worth it (or would have been if I'd stayed there long enough, anyway).
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess it depends whether the management company can dictate how things are managed but I'm pretty sure that here there would have to be a vote on it and there's bound to be objections from one or two. I might try and suggest it though. But I'm not holding my breath. They were supposed to fit individual meters on the heating and water we use so that we can pay for what we actually use and not get charged a a fitted amount regardless of numbers living in the apartment. This would be much better for me as I tend to use very little heating and don't waste water.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Yes it's not fair to pay a fixed amount. I think metres are always a fair way to go about it, otherwise you are paying a share for other people who use a lot more than you.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I think when people know how much they are using and paying, they tend to be a lot less wasteful too.
  • SpinxSpinx Posts: 3
    edited August 10
    > @bfluentmanish said:
    > Hello, I am also keen to participate in this topic & want to express my views. Since I am from India & observing how people are wasting natural resources whose are very important player to maintain our Echo System i.e. Water, Tree , Land & Air.Country like India which has massive population required big needs of water & food to survive. Rivers in India used to be rich resources to fulfill the water requirement. These rivers are getting vanished, due to we have forgotten what kind of crop should be cultivate near to bank of river as trees are main resource in order to maintain a decent water level on the earth.
    > Isha Foundation has started a campaign Rally for Rivers which was a blueprint drafted by Sadhguru & handed over to Prime Minister Office of India for reviving of dead river for doing this government support is must. Participation from people is must.In this blueprint Isha foundation has suggested area wise crop that farmer's should grow. So my point for giving this example participation of people is must awareness,education & heavy financial penalty whose is wasting natural resources . Administration, NGO should run a program to make people aware & contribute to reduce carbon footprint on village,street,sector,town,city level for achieving excellence. " My personal aim is make earth green again."

    Yeah, Nice to meet you and thanks for your helpful story in your country. Wasting natural resources, pollution air.. these are a global enviroment. You told your story in your nation and this is my story.

    We currently have too much motorbikes that affected seriously to the air, and the noises were worst. Our goverment did so many solutions to solve this problem like retricting the vehicle go in to cities, improving public vehicles to reduce amount of vehicles... We educated the next generation about protecting their enviroment, and did more actions in school, universities.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    @Spinx I think many countries are starting to become a lot more aware of the danger of air pollution but the problem is how to solve it. Even by restricting traffic, it still isn't the solution.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Spinx said:

    > @bfluentmanish said:

    > Hello, I am also keen to participate in this topic & want to express my views. Since I am from India & observing how people are wasting natural resources whose are very important player to maintain our Echo System i.e. Water, Tree , Land & Air.Country like India which has massive population required big needs of water & food to survive. Rivers in India used to be rich resources to fulfill the water requirement. These rivers are getting vanished, due to we have forgotten what kind of crop should be cultivate near to bank of river as trees are main resource in order to maintain a decent water level on the earth.

    > Isha Foundation has started a campaign Rally for Rivers which was a blueprint drafted by Sadhguru & handed over to Prime Minister Office of India for reviving of dead river for doing this government support is must. Participation from people is must.In this blueprint Isha foundation has suggested area wise crop that farmer's should grow. So my point for giving this example participation of people is must awareness,education & heavy financial penalty whose is wasting natural resources . Administration, NGO should run a program to make people aware & contribute to reduce carbon footprint on village,street,sector,town,city level for achieving excellence. " My personal aim is make earth green again."



    Yeah, Nice to meet you and thanks for your helpful story in your country. Wasting natural resources, pollution air.. these are a global enviroment. You told your story in your nation and this is my story.



    We currently have too much motorbikes that affected seriously to the air, and the noises were worst. Our goverment did so many solutions to solve this problem like retricting the vehicle go in to cities, improving public vehicles to reduce amount of vehicles... We educated the next generation about protecting their enviroment, and did more actions in school, universities.

    A lot of young people where I live ride motorbikes around for fun, for no other reason, and I just wonder whether they realise how damaging it is to the planet.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm purposefully avoiding flying for shorter journeys and look forward to travelling back to Nice by train from Paris next week. It won't take much longer than flying and my carbon footprint will be a lot smaller.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I imagine it would be cheaper than flying, too, so that would be another great reason to take that option!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually flying tends to be cheaper than longer train journeys though buses are usually the cheapest. But they also take the longest time.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I don't have the patience to travel on buses for long journeys really, as I just want to get to where I need to be.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Since I like to travel a lot, I don't think I could easily afford to do so as much of I didn't travel on a budget. I don't mind long journeys as for me this is part of the reason I enjoy going away. I meet such interesting people and see so much.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭
    Last week I was told about a Moscow family which uses an indoors composter in a city flat. I hadn't even known that such things were on sale. They had said there hadn't been any bad odour, but the very idea baffled both the missus and the daughter due to its seeming poor hygiene. This device helps to keep the waste volume down, though. Does anyone use anything like this?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

    Last week I was told about a Moscow family which uses an indoors composter in a city flat. I hadn't even known that such things were on sale. They had said there hadn't been any bad odour, but the very idea baffled both the missus and the daughter due to its seeming poor hygiene. This device helps to keep the waste volume down, though. Does anyone use anything like this?

    I don't think composters need to be open, so perhaps there isn't any odour. I don't think I would like it in my house, though!
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭

    Last week I was told about a Moscow family which uses an indoors composter in a city flat. I hadn't even known that such things were on sale. They had said there hadn't been any bad odour, but the very idea baffled both the missus and the daughter due to its seeming poor hygiene. This device helps to keep the waste volume down, though. Does anyone use anything like this?

    I don't think composters need to be open, so perhaps there isn't any odour. I don't think I would like it in my house, though!
    Well, you have other options, because you live in a house, but they have only a flat. Most likely, one in a highrise.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard of small composters and I'd really like one to use on my terrace. I don't think they should smell. At least I don't recall the compost heap in our garden when I was growing up smelling bad. Though I suppose it must depend on what you put in it.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

    Last week I was told about a Moscow family which uses an indoors composter in a city flat. I hadn't even known that such things were on sale. They had said there hadn't been any bad odour, but the very idea baffled both the missus and the daughter due to its seeming poor hygiene. This device helps to keep the waste volume down, though. Does anyone use anything like this?

    I don't think composters need to be open, so perhaps there isn't any odour. I don't think I would like it in my house, though!
    Well, you have other options, because you live in a house, but they have only a flat. Most likely, one in a highrise.
    Yes, I have lived in flats before though, but having said that, even that had a balcony, so I could have put it on there.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭


    Yes, I have lived in flats before though, but having said that, even that had a balcony, so I could have put it on there.

    Yes, they keep it on a balcony, as I've been told.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to do three quite small washes unfortunately, as one was for whites, another for coloureds but with no risk of colours running, and the third wash was of red coloured items that I wasn't sure wouldn't run. Environmentally this was very wasteful as I probably used three times the electricity and water that putting it in one load would have used.

    It takes as much energy and water to wash a full load as it does a half load, unless the machine has special sensors or half-load setting options (which mine doesn't have ).
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod


    Yes, I have lived in flats before though, but having said that, even that had a balcony, so I could have put it on there.

    Yes, they keep it on a balcony, as I've been told.
    The only thing I would worry about there was anything spilling out and falling onto the balcony below, as I doubt the neighbours would be very impressed!
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭


    The only thing I would worry about there was anything spilling out and falling onto the balcony below, as I doubt the neighbours would be very impressed!

    Oh, yes, a sort of tray under the composter might be a good idea.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    More attention is being paid to flying and how we should try to reduce this to help to save the planet. This debate is very interesting. I'm not convinced by the travel agent's arguments. Increasingly the mass tourism that is experienced in many places is also proving to be a huge problem.

    There are alternatives to travelling by air.

    What do you think?

    https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/should-we-stop-flying/p07nh7g5
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Air pollution has got so bad in Delhi that the Indian capital has launched a car rationing system in the battle against hazardous levels of pollution.

    Private cars with even and odd number plates will only be allowed on roads on alternate days from 4 to 15 November, officials said.

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50285343


  • VokVok Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge I like the idea of allowing people use their car only a few days a week. If you want to drive your car over the limited time than you have to pay extra.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a fair way to limit driving too @Vok.

    Wiki even has name for this: road space rationing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_space_rationing) and odd-even rationing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd–even_rationing).

    Several cities seemed to try it and then abandon it (I don't know why), but it is used in Jakarta and a couple of months ago there was a police crack-down to ticket violators.

    https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2019/09/09/starting-monday-police-to-ticket-violators-of-odd-even-license-plate-policy.html



  • VokVok Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid for Jakarta it's just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Due to the climate change they now have a more major problem to worry about @mheredge .

    https://www.wired.com/story/jakarta-is-sinking/




Sign In or Register to comment.