Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

The Earth needs help! (Earth day 2019) ~ Dora.

1235»

Comments

• JanjardJanjard Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes think: Imagine that residents of other planets are watching the earth and decide to save the earth, maybe they will contact dolphins and after careful consideration they decide to destroy the most harmful specie on earth.

I wonder how much time it takes to restore the earth?
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I read this article with interest, not least because it refers to my old stamping ground, Epping Forest. (Also home of the famous nineteenth century highway man, Dick Turpin).
    It is about how illegal foraging for mushrooms is becoming big business, especially in forests like Epping Forest which is found close to London.
    It also explains how scavenging for mushrooms can harm the environment when done in the large scale seen nowadays. Plus ignorance means that the poachers for want of a better word, don't really know what they are doing.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/23/if-you-go-down-to-the-woods-today-dont-come-back-with-mushrooms-aoe?fbclid=IwAR299RY_C_56pfKUFILcvHd7E1V1cUfbkynZE3gvb_V4lVyP5gc5BBL_B2o
    Post edited by mheredge on
    Children across the UK plan go on strike to demand action on climate. Pupils are focusing on the polls next month. The events in Britain are part of a global climate strike by tens of thousands of people in more than 150 countries from Chile to Madrid in Spain, where next week’s UN climate summit will take place.December vote a ‘climate election’ as data highlights urgency of crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/29/children-across-the-uk-go-on-strike-to-demand-climate-change-action?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTE5MTEzMA==&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
    @filauzio you might like this idea. Delhi is tacking the problem of air pollution with these electric rickshaws.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200304-the-electric-vehicles-cutting-delhis-air-pollution-problem

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the years till current days, @mheredge, I have been finding and felt myself more and more outraged by the way carmakers had been trying to inculcate the masses with the idea that owning a car is a must, driving it a mandatory ritual, polluting the air an unquestionable right.

Cars over cars are continually invading our cities, encroaching over any remaining empty room, stealing the possibility for our elderly to walk, for our children to play.

I detest the absolute predominance of cars over anything else which legitimately should make up, build the landscape of a town; everything is devised, thought, ruminated, planned, put in practice in its favour, as a devotion to the divinity car: roads, parkings, highways, garages, flyovers, etc.

Cars, invariably, inexorably, hopelessly keep outnumber whatever else you could think of within an average western city space.

Everywhere there are rolled out asphalt stripes to allow cars to silently kite along, with the minimum of friction and maximum of grip; the need for children to run and play on green paths lined with trees is just confined to ever shrinking greyish patches, oxigen enclaves under siege from all sides from stifling exhaust fumes' puffs.

Cars should be banned from cities altogether, no compromises or exceptions can be allowed anymore: they have no right to citizenship, no more. They have already done enough damage to our right to collective wellbeing.

The Norwegian capital Oslo, has put such firm prohibition in place, becoming the first town to become car-free, at least in great part of the town center.

In this respect, I admire the effort Delhi citizens too are making to assure a more livable, sustainable future.

The last mile can well be operated by electric rickshaws, rather than by motor cabs. I think I would find it enjoyable to proceed at such slow pace yet proceeding, in such terrific traffic, well aware of be making up for the carbon-inefficiency of the previous legs of my journey.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    filauzio said:

Over the years (till current days), @mheredge, I have been finding and felt myself more and more outraged by the way carmakers have been trying to inculcate the masses with the idea that owning a car is a must, driving it a mandatory ritual, and polluting the air an unquestionable right. (By including 'till current days,' this suggests that maybe something has recently happened to make you change your mind. Otherwise this is a very well written statement.)

Cars upon cars are continually invading our cities, encroaching any remaining space, and stealing the possibility for our elderly to walk and for our children to play.

I detest the absolute predominance of cars over anything else which legitimately should make up and build the landscape of a town; everything is devised, thought about, ruminated, planned, and put in practice in its favour, as a devotion to the divinity 'car': roads, parking, highways, garages, flyovers, etc.

Cars, invariably, inexorably, hopelessly outnumber whatever else you could think of within an average western city space.

Everywhere there are rolled out asphalt strips to allow cars to silently glide along, with the minimum of friction and maximum of grip; the need for children to run and play on green paths lined with trees is just confined to ever shrinking greyish patches, oxygen enclaves under siege from all sides from stifling exhaust fumes.

Cars should be banned from cities altogether, no compromises or exceptions can be allowed anymore: they have no right to citizenship, no more. They have already done enough damage to our right to collective wellbeing.

The Norwegian capital Oslo, has put such firm prohibition in place, becoming the first town to become car-free, at least in great part of the town center.

In this respect, I admire the effort Delhi citizens are making to assure a more livable, sustainable future.

The last mile can well be operated by electric rickshaws, rather than by motor cabs. I think I would find it enjoyable to proceed at such slow pace yet proceeding, in such terrific traffic, well aware of be making up for the carbon-inefficiency of the previous legs of my journey.

I have seen electric cycle rickshaws too, when I visited Bangladesh a few years ago @filauzio. Nice is doing a good job in discouraging cars in many streets by widening the pavements to make the road all but pedestrianised. With such narrow one lane one-way systems, it make driving very slow, to encourage cars to park further out. The only complaint I have heard is that buses are also slowed down, because of course, there are always a few cars to cause congestion. It would be far better to ban them altogether.

But what about motor bikes?
    Thank you for correction, @mheredge, and useful tips as well.

I really think that, nowadays in most european cities the individually owned car isn't sustainable anymore: we lack any further either moving or stationary space.
    We must give citizens back their right to enjoy larger unpolluted and cleared stretches of city.
    I can't stand motor bikes or scooter either, especially when they come in such large anarchic, undisciplined swarms, what's more noisy to the point actually to drown your voices too, as it is in Genoa.
    I support the introduction of the trams, as a comfortable, enjoyable way to travel through our cities.
    They are speedy, efficient, glossy, colourful, streamlined and silent; besides, they don't need any dedicated raised platform anymore, they just wind along at ground level.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    I saw these trams last year, when I went to Bordeaux to attend my cousin's wedding @filauzio. The Bordelais are very proud of them, as are the Nicois and they are very similar to Nice's trams.

In a few stretches, there's even grass instead of concrete between the tracks.

But trams in Nice is not a new idea. I have a couple of photographs of the original tramway that started running in 1879, pulled by horses! By 1900 the lines were electrified and operated by single-car tramcars like in the picture below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Nice

But in 2007 the first tramway line returned, with the second (and third spur) opening in 2019. The new line is very useful as it links the airport with the rest of the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_tramway

I really can't think of any downsides when it comes to the tram lines, @mheredge, are there any ? Maybe the fares too are largely affordable by the masses or the majority of citizens at least.
    Diesel buses, on the contrary, are the most polluting vehicles ever conceived by a human mind, I'm afraid.

These days, it occurred to me to think of this rather bitter joke:

What's the difference between the coronavirus and the diesel pollution ?

The former is faster.
    Ah but pone good thing about the virus @filauzio, it is helping cut down on carbon emissions. Most flights around the world are now being cancelled!
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know How to protect earth it seems hardly to do that as you know the pollution including everything inthe Air and earth ,water.this topic need more time to talk abouT this topic but the first thing we need to grow planet around us to get clean air .we should to decrease pollution related to factories or build factories far from people to protect them.I will support to protect Earth but the man selfishness and do everything like live todayand do not care about tomorrow just myself.
    One of the few good things about the coronavirus and lockdowns has been the improvement in air quality, due to fewer vehicles.