Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Gender equality?

mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
We touched upon equal opportunities in our discussion yesterday (@reem, @Shiny03, @Hermine). This article today looks at how there is increasing awareness of the truth that there is a gender pay-gap. The evidence that men earn more than women is clear, yet there are still people who insists this is a myth.

In Britain it is found that women earn 10% less than men. However there are differences depending on age (regardless of sex), on type of work women are more likely to do, and an interesting idea of 'agreeableness' meaning that women are more likely to tolerate lower pay. Men are more likely than women to apply for jobs for which they are not quite qualified, and women being more likely to apply for jobs for which they are overqualified. Taking a career break to have children, or wanting to work part-time afterwards can create a pay gap.

What are your experiences? Do you see women doing what traditionally are thought of as 'men's' jobs? Do you think they can do them just as well? Do you think there will ever be gender equality? How do you think it can be achieved?

Watch out, the article is quite a challenging read!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/23/gender-pay-gap-alt-right?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA0MjQ=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I think we have come a long way, but there is still a way to go. I do think we are definitely heading in the right direction though!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    There's still a very long way to go @GemmaRowlands. Women are too used to accepting and not speaking out for themselves. This will take a long time to change.
  • bfluentmanishbfluentmanish Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Gender equality is something that we have strived for, for a long time. Be it in terms of gender roles, right to education. The times have changed tremendously, but much more needs to be done. Gender inequality acknowledges the fact that being of a different gender leads to difference in lived experiences. Key milestones in improving Gender Equality are:Education: Literacy rate goes up,Social reforms empowering women,Female representation in different professions,Problems in gender bias still need addressing,Violence against women and wage disparity at work place.

Gender equality is something that we have strived for, for a long time. Be it in terms of gender roles, right to education. The times have changed tremendously, but much more needs to be done. Gender inequality acknowledges the fact that being of a different gender leads to difference in lived experiences. Key milestones in improving Gender Equality are:Education: Literacy rate goes up,Social reforms empowering women,Female representation in different professions,Problems in gender bias still need addressing,Violence against women and wage disparity at work place.

I honestly think that in the UK you don't notice a huge amount of difference now if you are born female, but I know that this is not always the case in other places.
    I think Britain has become fairly good for women, in that though there isn't quite equality, it is still way better than most countries @GemmaRowlands. I think Scandinavia is the best place for women's rights.
    mheredge said:

I think Britain has become fairly good for women, in that though there isn't quite equality, it is still way better than most countries @GemmaRowlands. I think Scandinavia is the best place for women's rights.

The good thing is that people are actively taking steps towards it, but I think it is difficult to have exactly the same rights with the biological difference of the woman physically needing time off to have children, so perhaps it might not be as easy to climb the career ladder sometimes.
    I don't think that this should be a major barrier @GemmaRowlands as somehow Scandinavian countries make it much easier. Even in France, having creches that are subsidised by the government means it is much easier for mothers to return to work after a much shorter career break.
    mheredge said:

I don't think that this should be a major barrier @GemmaRowlands as somehow Scandinavian countries make it much easier. Even in France, having creches that are subsidised by the government means it is much easier for mothers to return to work after a much shorter career break.

I do think there are lots of workplaces that provide childcare now so we are definitely moving forward. But this costs companies money, and times are hard, so it is difficult to put things in place.
    Britain has always been very behind on this. This is why women have a tougher time there than in France to return to work.
    The men in Ukraine seem very gallant but women seem to have a fair amount of independence. It's difficult to know without more in depth understanding of the social set up here though.