Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Monday Night Owls - 6 May 2019 - Sibling rivalry

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,172 Teacher
We read an article about sibling rivalry and whether parents encourage this by treating their children differently:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2019/01/sibling-rivalries-history/580495/

Vocabulary Top 10:

combatant - a person, group, or country that fights in a war or battle

usurper - someone who takes and keeps (something, such as power) in a forceful or violent way and especially without the right to do so

grudge - a strong feeling of anger toward someone that lasts for a long time

nascent - beginning to exist : recently formed or developed

chomp - to chew or bite on something

littermate - one member of a pair or group of animals born in the same litter (litter = a group of animals born at a single time)

blatantly - very obvious and offensive

bicker - to argue in a way that is annoying about things that are not important

squabble - to argue loudly about things that are not important

whack - to hit (someone or something) with great force

How many siblings do you have?
Did you fight growing up? Do you still fight now?
Do you think your parents have a favourite child?

@aladdin @aza @Bassa @taghried @mahmoudox @Shiny03 @Just-Learn @Ezîza

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Gosh! After finishing reading the whole article, I just got two words, one advice, let go. :sweat_smile:
    Humans are more complicated than other animals. We fight our siblings for different reasons, but animals only have one purpose which is to survive and keep their species strong or they might go extinct. Hence, I don't like the way they said sibling rivalry is human nature. I mean it can be bad, it can be good all depending on us.
    In my humble opinion, if you want your children to love each other, parents have to show their attitude. I mean children learn from their parents. They sometimes imitate their parents' behaviour. If their father and mother always fight each other, how come they told their children not combat their siblings...

I think I posted the wrong link in Discord.:( I want to share it, but can't find it. Anyway, I have watched a documentary on the National Geographic channel. It said that scientists found human genes are designed to avoid incest (but it happens. Thus, they try to explain why and how), therefore, we feel disgusted with our brothers, especially in adolescence is normal...to be continued

Okay, I still couldn't find the original one, but I found a similar video. Here is the link from Discovery.
    https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/discovery-presents/videos/incestuous-instincts
  • bfluentmanishbfluentmanish Posts: 328 Inactive
    @Shiny03 well said by you good way to counter the article about sibling rivalry.
    I thought it start from parent's side,I feel when our parent's compare sibling with eac other and give appreciation to one and criticize to other then a real rivalry starts.
    When you pay attention to one way then the real problem start in any house.