Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Tuesday Night Owls - 14 May 2019 - Internet connected devices invading our homes

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,175 Teacher
We read an article which explained how appliances and devices connected to the internet, especially voice activated devices, are slowly taking over our houses - and the potential consequences of this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/09/amazon-is-invading-your-home-with-micro-convenience/571015/

Vocabulary Top 10:

steep - to put (something) in a liquid for a period of time

counter - a long, flat surface on which food is prepared in a kitchen

preposterous - very foolish or silly

to weigh in on something - to give your opinion about something

incremental - something that occurs in small amounts or very gradually

succor - something that you do or give to help someone who is suffering or in a difficult situation

barrage - a great amount of something that comes quickly and continuously

allaying - to make (something) less severe or strong

dubious - unsure or uncertain : feeling doubt about something

addled - unable to think clearly; confused

Do you use any of these types of devices?
Do you think all houses will have these in the future? Why or why not?
Are you worried about the privacy implications of these devices?

@Shiny03 @april @Bassa @mahmoudox @filauzio @Rema

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,165 mod
    No, I don't and won't use any of these voice activated devices.
    I don't think I'd like to communicate with Alexa every morning just to have my tea or coffee.
    Does she also answer me when I ask her to do something? Do I have to say "thank you, Alexa" every time?
    Do I need only one Alexa in house if I have different devices or does each device have another name?
    Is my neighbour's device also called Alexa if it comes from the same manufacturer?

I prefer to live without these gadgets, but I'm afraid that in the future we have to accept these all, willingly or unwillingly, because we will have no choice.
    For example, you won't find any old fashioned alarm clock anymore nowadays; the one which you have to wind up everyday in order to make it work.
    The only alarm clock you can buy works on battery, digital.
    That'll be also the changing for our lifestyle in the future.

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The writer exaggerates this thing too much, ' Internet connected devices invading our homes.' I realized that after watching a movie, The Upside. It's a movie about a super rich man with quadriplegia but hires an unqualified man with a criminal record as a live-in life auxiliary. There's a scene which is the super rich man saying, 'Alexa, lower the music', when the caretaker helps him to sit in a chair and to have breakfast. I mean we don't really need those devices. Sometimes it makes me think that we are just lazy or don't want to miss these trends. The writer uses these devices but thinking they're microconvience. I think for people who are disabled might have the other thought.

Anyway, have you heard Echo Silver with Alexa. I have a hilarious video to share with you. :grin:
  • BassaBassa Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT , to be onest I’m not a fan of this house’s robot assistants. I don’t have one and as well explained in the article I think they are simply useless; in the sense that humans has lived very good without it till now....
    But, come on ! if somebody tells us about smartphones, 20 years ago, maybe a lot of us would said: what ? I need the cell phone just to call and write text messages once out of home, for emergencies...and now? Probably calls and messages are functions we have almost forgotten because we use WhatsApp and we don’t care about them ... we care of photo camera , giga ecc... all superfluous things that market has made us believe as essentials...
    So, admitted and not granted that our privacy has already gone in the bin with this technology ... I suppose in the future all will have voice activated devices around home because people love comforts and because market will convince us we cannot live without them....
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,430 mod
    April makes a good point about saying thank you to your voice activated devices. (I do.) Ha ha ha. Yes, I speak to my GA, and I ask about the weather, the news, and I like it when it says, "Good morning Lynne".

I can't wait for bots that do this:
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,165 mod