Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Climate change

mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,437 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 29 in The weather
This topic was started to refer more specifically to climate refugees (people coming to Nice to escape the cold weather elsewhere in France and Europe. However, the article describes climate change refugees who have little choice but to move from their homes because of the impact of climate change. It is an interesting article: CLICK HERE

Despite the rain yesterday, this did not put off thousands of young supporters turning out to meet Greta Thunberg in Bristol. The popular teenage activist told a huge crowd: ‘We will not be silenced because we are the change’.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/28/greta-thunberg-bristol-schools-shut-students-join-climate-strike?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTIwMDIyOQ==&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK

What impacts of climate change can you see where you live? Is it just the weather that seems to have changed?

Some people do not believe it is a problem, especially city dwellers who do not see any of the effects of the changes in climate. Those who have seen the changes in the Himalayas, or the Alps however, have quite a different view. The glaciers are retreating, the ice floes in the Arctic and Antarctica are melting, with this the sea levels are rising. What are your thoughts on this problem?
Post edited by mheredge on

Comments

• bfluentmanishbfluentmanish Posts: 328 Inactive
    Yes, I see climate change where i stay it used to be a peaceful place about five years ago however due to urbanization temperature soars.
    I stay in Mohali.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I can tell that climate change is making a difference here, as summers are getting hotter and winters are getting colder.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,437 ✭✭✭✭
    Has this winter been cold in the UK? It was very mild in France though the temperature through spring W's a degree or so cooler than normal. But temperatures always fluctuate from year to year and even over decades and centuries, so it is more complicated than just comparing over a short period.
    mheredge said:

Has this winter been cold in the UK? It was very mild in France though the temperature through spring W's a degree or so cooler than normal. But temperatures always fluctuate from year to year and even over decades and centuries, so it is more complicated than just comparing over a short period.

This winter hasn't been too bad actually, but previous winters have been much colder than, say, 20 years ago.
    There uses to be snow most winters in Essex when I was a child but this rare nowadays suggesting the opposite. All the same, changes in temperature really can't be measured over shorter periods though. If you watch An Inconvenient Truth about climate change you see its cyclic over centuries rather than decades.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭✭
    It's true our glacier is shrinking. My husband has old maps where the glacier is far down to be seen.
    He's a passionate mounteneer and regrets the circumstances it leads to the fact that one day they all
    will have gone. @mheredge
    Hermine said:

It's true our glacier is shrinking. My husband has old maps where the glacier is far down to be seen.
    He's a passionate mounteneer and regrets the circumstances it leads to the fact that one day they all
    will have gone. @mheredge

It's very interesting if you are able to get hold of old maps, as it gives you the chance to see just how much things have changed over the years.
    If you want to see the movement of the glaciers in the Everest region, Alton Byers has produced a fine book with photographs recording them over the years. If you Google his name I'm sure you will find it.
    mheredge said:

If you want to see the movement of the glaciers in the Everest region, Alton Byers has produced a fine book with photographs recording them over the years. If you Google his name I'm sure you will find it.

That sounds great, I will certainly have a look for that. It's astonishing sometimes when you see the difference in the planet, and makes you wonder what will happen to it in the future.
    India is suffering a terrible heat wave. My friends in southern Nepal are experiencing the same hot weather.
    Famine, drought - these are turning people into climate change refugees.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/jul/29/guatemala-climate-crisis-migration-drought-famine
    My husband is very sad about the fact that the Glaciers around here are going back so fast.
    Yes I have been reading how dramatically the glaciers in the Alps are receding @Hermine.
    Hermine said:

My husband is very sad about the fact that the Glaciers around here are going back so fast.

It is affecting the world in many ways, and with so much extra water I fear that we are going to experience many more floods than we might have done in the past.
    Sea levels are rising in some places, but other areas are so dry that nothing can grow. It is a serious problem.
    I couldn't help but smile at this. I heard it was raining in the UK so this is quite appropriate.

How to cope in a heatwave when you live somewhere it drizzles 10 months of the year

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/how-to-cope-in-a-heatwave-when-you-live-somewhere-it-drizzles-10-months-of-the-year-20190724187680?fbclid=IwAR0BPn00uN1Fb3rBAbT_CCDKhhRsk1a83VTqzGGSxCSqJ0u0oYpDmwKa-1U

The following story in the same link comes under satire.

https://learnenglish.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6543/satire#latest
    mheredge said:

I couldn't help but smile at this. I heard it was raining in the UK so this is quite appropriate.

How to cope in a heatwave when you live somewhere it drizzles 10 months of the year

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/how-to-cope-in-a-heatwave-when-you-live-somewhere-it-drizzles-10-months-of-the-year-20190724187680?fbclid=IwAR0BPn00uN1Fb3rBAbT_CCDKhhRsk1a83VTqzGGSxCSqJ0u0oYpDmwKa-1U

The following story in the same link comes under satire.

https://learnenglish.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6543/satire#latest

Ha ha, I liked reading that. It's true though. We Brits beg for sun, then when it comes, we spend the whole time feeling uncomfortable and not really knowing what to do with ourselves!
    Everyone here was complaining when summer didn't seem to ever arrive, and the spring was a few degrees cooled than usual. However right now no one is complaining which is unusual. The weather is very pleasant as it is a few degrees cooler than it's been during the past few weeks and the heat is is very tolerable (about 28-30C).
    mheredge said:

Everyone here was complaining when summer didn't seem to ever arrive, and the spring was a few degrees cooled than usual. However right now no one is complaining which is unusual. The weather is very pleasant as it is a few degrees cooler than it's been during the past few weeks and the heat is is very tolerable (about 28-30C).

I think there's a very narrow range of weather conditions where nobody complains, although we are also in that range here at the moment, as it has cooled down a little bit.
    Yes no one is complaining about the weather in Nice right now. It's perfect.
    I am fortunately that my favourite form of transport is the train. Increasingly, people are starting to try to reduce their carbon footprint from flying.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200218-climate-change-how-to-cut-your-carbon-emissions-when-flying

• VokVok Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge last week, Luxemburg made all its public transport free, trains included. It's the first country where all public transport is free of charge. I hope that it proves to be an effective way of discouraging people from driving their car and other countries will follow suit.
    I saw this and hope that it will be copied elsewhere @Vok. At least where I am, train and bus fares are very cheap. I can travel by bus all over a very large area for just one euro. Train tickets in the same region are half price when you invest in a zou card, which is easily repaid by just a couple of journeys.

I have read that lots of flights are being cancelled due to a slump in ticket sales caused by people not wanting to travel due to the corona virus.
    My country is just too greedy in matter of free transporting.

They prefer rather the coach half full than to reduce the fare prices.
    That's a shame @Hermine. Flixbus fares are always different, adjusted to when there is less demand when the price drops, to encourage more people to travel. The budget airlines usually operate a similar way, only I think with the latest worries about travelling, even cheap prices is not enough to encourage people to fly to destinations where they are worried about the risk of catching the virus.
    Have we ever spoken about 'Orders Online'?

I've watched a report about a sport shop who does post their products online as well. The woman there was unpacking plenty of parcels who came back. Tonnes of cardboards were piling up. She says it is incredible how may items are getting back to de addressor. Some people like ordering because they are bored during weekends or in a sad mood or something else.....
    The shop owner finds it is so unsatisfying you send nice things away in the hope the customer likes it and then it comes back, because it doesn't please, although it is shown on the website very clearly.

Man, this behaviour is nonsense and causes so many rubbish. Please think when you order something. It costs: resources, human's energy.

€ 5 costs the delivering to the orderer and € 5 back to the addressor. This all has the shop owner to pay.
    From what I gather, home deliveries are very common in some places and help keep people indoors. I Know my friends in Kathmandu are able to take advantage of this, and also in some places in India. Here in France, I think it is only really available for elderly or people who are self-quarantined, who think they might have caught the virus and so cannot go out.

Yesterday I saw a queue outside the post office which I assume was for parcels or letters that have to be signed for that could not be delivered. I was surprised because I would have thought that the number of people being in when the postman calls must be far greater than normal. But then I know that my postman at my previous address was usually too lazy to ring my bell, as often he left a card for post that needed to be signed for while I was definitely in and could have done so without having to go to the post office a couple of days later.