Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Moving home.

amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 3,077 mod
I will be moving home soon, barring any further hiccups. So I thought I would share the experience.

I have lived in my current house for 31 years! My son was 5 when we moved in and my daughter 2. I know, I have now given away my age! :D

I have just started to sort out the loft, which was very tidy and clear according to the removal man who came round to give us a quote. The worst part so far is getting rid of all my music. My piano went to the daughter of a friend and is being used by her children so I am pleased.

I have put some things onto a site called Gumtree where you can advertise things to sell, but I have had no replies to anything yet so I think there will be many trips to the charity shops and the tip!

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭
    In the last three years I've moved house three times and if everything falls into place I'll do it again next year or the year after the next. I don't have much staff as I've never lived in a house just in a flat and still I feel stressed everytime I move. It must be a tenfold burden for you as I can imagine how much you've accumulated in 31 years @amatsuscribbler .
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the move @amatsuscribbler. I have moved several times since escaping from the UK 15 years ago, with time going past even faster since I left. I'm hoping that I have now found myself a place where I won't leave in any hurry. Moving seems to get harder and like @Vok, I find it incredibly stressful.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27

I will be moving home soon, barring any further hiccups. So I thought I would share the experience.

We have the saying that "two movings equal a fire", and your music has already fallen victim to the move...
    Have you considered hiring a so-called 'personal use warehouse' to buy some extra time for a sort-out? Are there businesses buying out used furniture in your place?
    I couldn't use any of these when I was in a similar situation. I had to empty my parents' flat for the buyers in a day or two. It was in another city, 4,000 km away, where I had flown for three days to finish the paperwork. Reading a legal contract after a sleepless night on the plane and a day of office work before that was not really easy, since at times I wasn't getting what I was reading.
    I found some students who had posted an ad on a local web-portal that they would take some furniture as a gift. They did. But I had to haul everything else, cutlery, clothes, etc. to the skip. My mother didn't need anything in her new flat neither did I, nor my brother. It seemed to be a smile of fortune to some of the neighbours.
    Post edited by Practical_Severard on
  • bfluentmanishbfluentmanish Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Hello @Vok @mheredge @Practical_Severard
    I have also moved my home four to five times in my life because of job change.
    It get difficult sometimes and adjusting the whole household luggage if you have small kids with you. My son is mischievous and he ask lot queries while unwrapping the house hold. Movers and packers however made this job some what easy and real problem arise when you come to know that your expensive appliance got damaged during in transit of luggage.
    It create lot of headache to fill the claim paper and fill in the detail in insurance form.
    I am very thankful for charity shops in Nice where it's possible to offload things like small household items and clothes. I had to pay a second hand shop to take away larger furniture that was surplus to requirements in one place, but was lucky some neighbours took things from another place, solving that problem. I only recouped half the price of the transport from the shop when they sold everything because they not only charged me to take it away but kept 40% of the sale price.
    My friend is trying to sell her car that she won't be able to take to the Philippines when she leaves Romania in a couple of weeks. She looked into the cost of shipping it and the tax they'd have to pay and it was prohibitive.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

I have lived in my current house for 31 years! My son was 5 when we moved in and my daughter 2. I know, I have now given away my age! :D

I have just started to sort out the loft, which was very tidy and clear according to the removal man who came round to give us a quote. The worst part so far is getting rid of all my music. My piano went to the daughter of a friend and is being used by her children so I am pleased.

I have put some things onto a site called Gumtree where you can advertise things to sell, but I have had no replies to anything yet so I think there will be many trips to the charity shops and the tip!

That is a long time to have been living in the same house for. Do you think you will miss the house, or are you just looking forward to the change?
    I find I can 'forget' quite quickly about the place I lived in as soon as I get settled in to the new place. But I never have felt homesick for anywhere either.
    mheredge said:

I find I can 'forget' quite quickly about the place I lived in as soon as I get settled in to the new place. But I never have felt homesick for anywhere either.

I wish I was a little more like that, as I often find that I am too tied to where I am now due to the feeling that I would miss it far too much.
    Everything is temporary and attachment to things is never a particularly good idea. But it's hard to remember this in practice.
    mheredge said:

Everything is temporary and attachment to things is never a particularly good idea. But it's hard to remember this in practice.

But a home is not temporary for everyone. There are many people who move into a house when they get married, and stay there for their whole lives, then their children move back to the home when it is passed down to them, and spend the rest of their lives in it, too. It's only really temporary if you choose for it to be so.
    The whole notion of permanence is what I'm questioning more here @GemmaRowlands. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong in settling down in one place, but I think it is good not to be too rigid and to be entrenched only in one place. That then can be very unhealthy.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 3,077 mod
    edited June 7
    Ah @mheredge and @GemmaRowlands . This attachment thing is hard.

I have so many random things that bring lovely poignant memories. It is very hard to get rid of any of it! And a part of me does not want to. If I do, I will forget those moments.

For example books. I have hundreds, many of which I read when I was a child/teen. They helped me become the person who survived, giving me wisdom and role models until I found who I really was. How can I throw them away?!

Then there are drawings by my children when they were small. And little random poems. And their first shoes. And my essays and compositions from my University days (which were very late in life) And a dress my mum made when I was 7......... Aaarrgghhhh!

What do I do guys? Help me! lol BTW this is only an issue because we are moving to a smaller house!
    Try to be Buddhist about it @amatsuscribbler. After a while you won't miss them. I've hundreds of books in my attic in London which are a nuisance more than anything. If I want to read any again, I know I can easily replace them.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 8,016 mod
    @amatsuscribbler, see it as a chance to start new in your life. After such a long time living in the same house there are things collected that you don't need them anymore.

Take each article and hold it to your heart, what does it say, do you don't want it to give away or does it say you can give it away? It's time is over.
    It won't last long and I have to do the same @amatsuscribbler then I can ask you about your experience.
    Moving is something that I don't want to do ever again if I can help it.
    I've never moved in my life.

I really hope for myself I don't have problems by transplanting.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭
    mheredge wrote: »

I don't feel nostalgic about the old place I left, unless the new one is much more worse.
    @amatsuscribbler, does it mean you're going to move in in a house where you grown up?
    I have absolutely no nostalgia for the house I grew up in. It was a 1940s semi detached in suburbia.
    edited June 9
    Each time when I entered my grannies house after she passed away I had some strange feelings - like lonliness. It was a part of my life although I'd never dwelled there unless slept over, but that is another story.

Was your grandmother lonely @Hermine?
    No, absolutley not. There were always people around her and when not sie walked to the cemetry where her husband my grand-dad was bured and there were someone to bump in. I was sometimes with her.
    At the front side of the house there was a bench and at that time people had time to stop for a short chat.
    She was a very positv and loving tiny woman always a smile on her lips.
    When you say you feel lonely when you go to her house @Hermine, you mean that you miss her? Surely you're not alone or lonely?
    I can't describe it properly, Marianne. Perhaps nostalgia came up. The house doesn't exist anymore.
    I think I know what you mean. Though I have never visited where I used to live, my parent's house probably would evoke a feeling of nostalgia for long summer holidays playing in the garden @Hermine.

Ah @mheredge and @GemmaRowlands . This attachment thing is hard.

I have so many random things that bring lovely poignant memories. It is very hard to get rid of any of it! And a part of me does not want to. If I do, I will forget those moments.

For example books. I have hundreds, many of which I read when I was a child/teen. They helped me become the person who survived, giving me wisdom and role models until I found who I really was. How can I throw them away?!

Then there are drawings by my children when they were small. And little random poems. And their first shoes. And my essays and compositions from my University days (which were very late in life) And a dress my mum made when I was 7......... Aaarrgghhhh!

What do I do guys? Help me! lol BTW this is only an issue because we are moving to a smaller house!

Yes it is very difficult to know what to get rid of, and I do believe that you should keep key items as they can bring back beautiful memories, but you need to choose perhaps a small box of things that are the most important, and then clear the rest out.
    That's a real good idea @GemmaRowlands.

Hermine said:

That's a real good idea @GemmaRowlands.

Or, could you take photos of some of the things you are fond of? That way you can remember them without them having to take up a lot of space.