Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 3 June 2019 - Five ways to improve your memory

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read about five different things you can do to improve your memory:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190329-five-ways-you-could-become-a-memory-champion

Vocabulary Top 9:

mnemonics - something (such as a word, a sentence, or a song) that helps people remember something (such as a rule or a list of names)

metronome - a device that makes a regular, repeated sound to show a musician how fast a piece of music should be played

intriguing - extremely interesting : fascinating

dementia - a mental illness that causes someone to be unable to think clearly or to understand what is real and what is not real

isotope - any one of various forms in which the atoms of a chemical element can occur

one-off - done or happening only once

bout - a short period of time during which something is done or happening

exertion - physical or mental effort

interval training - training in which an athlete alternates between two activities, typically requiring different rates of speed, degrees of effort, etc.

Do you have a good memory or a bad memory?
What other tips do you know to help you remember things?

@Shiny03 @taghried @Rema @starboat @mahmoudox

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a good memory or a bad memory?
    Absolutely not. If only I had a good memory, I would speak fluently, cleverly or rhetorically like Natasha.

What other tips do you know to help you remember things?
    Ummm, again if I had known some good tips, I wouldn't still struggle in speaking...

However, I do think the first trick mentioned in the article works. I mean when I get bored at reading something I'm learning, I read it from backwards (the last page or the last section) to forwards. How to say, even when I read the same thing, I feel refresh and see the whole thing more clearly. More importantly, I don't feel bored, so I can keep reading (learning).
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Well, I think it depends on the thing that you're memorising, if you're interested in it or not, and also the time that your brain recipient the information or other stuff.
    For example; if you are working and someone interrupts you to remind you to get something while you got back home,I think you will forget because your brain was busy for doing another thing, so maybe it's better to write down it.

An intriguing technique that I figured out that I do without knowing that this is a scientific technique (Do nothing) as @Shiny03 said in the discussion session it's about to (take a break.)

I have a small note to record things and i do it when i take a rest and discovered that things flow into my mind, so i immediate check my note to know if i recorded it or not.

**Actually, I reread this article with my grandmother because she has this interest in memory, she gave this(Wow emoji but in Arabic :D ...she didn't believe in the first Technique(walk forward&backward) despite she didn't convince on the experiment that the article mentioned but, she asked me to try it and I made two lists one in Arabic and another in English, she could recognize the Arabic words not all of it, and she remembered the last words on the list, but the English list she couldn't recognize any of it because she knows nothing in English :D ...BTW we spent a great time together and she thanks you and said(God bless you).

I told her that exercise does not provoke our memory,but she replied me that if you have this kind of lifestyle (exercise regularly) then you'll consider about your eating. There is special food will help you to boost your brain like fish, vegetables, seeds....

• NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    @Shiny03 It sounds like your brain likes working backwards, maybe it gets more stimulation that way. I wonder if you would find speaking easier if you practised speaking backwards, too? :D I have a feeling it might just make you more confused!

@taghried I definitely think it's easier to remember something if you are interested in it. Maybe that's because you are happy to think about it for longer?

It's great you were able to share this with your grandmother too! This is such a lovely story! And the fact that you tested the theory out with her is great, even if it didn't work for her :D

Maybe exercising regularly also means you would have a healthier lifestyle, which would then make it easier to remember things? For example, if you are sleeping well, you won't feel so tired, and it's usually easier to remember things when you aren't tired.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    I agree, Natasha, So, it makes all we have a strong memory because it's all about things that we are interested in.