Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Tuesday Night Owls - 25 June 2019 - The house the robots built

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,231 Teacher
We read an article (which includes some videos!) about how robots are changing the way we build houses:

http://www.bbc.com/future/bespoke/the-disruptors/the-house-the-robots-built/

Vocabulary Top 10:

disrupters - a person or thing that prevents something, especially a system, process, or event, from continuing as usual or as expected; something that drastically alters or destroys the structure of something

secrete - to produce and give off (a liquid)

to dust - to make (something) clean by brushing or wiping dirt and dust from the surface

ridges - raised parts or areas on the surface of something

weld - to join pieces of metal together by heating the edges until they begin to melt and then pressing them together

candidate - something that is being considered for a job, position, award, etc.; something that meets all the requirements for something

buzz - excited talk about something

a shovel-load - a lot of something

kit - a set of tools or supplies that a person uses for a particular purpose or activity

mounted - attached to something for support or use

Would you buy a house that was built by a robot?
What do you think will be the biggest changes we will see?

@aladdin @Shiny03 @april @Ezîza @taghried @efcjunior @filauzio

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,227 mod
    A house built by robots?
    Why not. I won't say "no" to buy such; especially if it is cheaper, quite artistic and fulfils the necessary comfort and security's conditions.

I don't think there will be a lot of changes in types of houses as long as we still have the last word about what we want and how it will be executed.
    The advantage is that it would be more secured and we would be able to use our whole imagination about our dream house. Robots won't say: "No it is impossible to do."

About a week ago, Professor Vedat Topsakal successfully placed a cochlear implantation on a patient using a robot that worked independently according to a plan which is made by the professor.
    The robot did the job more secure than what a surgeon can do, admitted the professor.
    That's why, I believe that robots too will built houses with enough perfection and security.

One thing I expect is that there will be also a robot which can help me with cleaning and do some chores on my house happily and with smile :) because nowadays it is difficult to find people who will like to do these jobs here.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,231 Teacher
    @april I agree that at first, the houses are going to look almost the same as they do now. After all, we still build houses in Australia with sloped roofs, even though the whole point of that shape roof is so that the snow falls off (not a very common problem in most parts of Australia :D )
    But maybe, after a while, we might get more creative, and start looking at other possibilities.

And I also hope these houses come with little mini robots that help with chores too! B)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,227 mod
    I can't wait for the mini robots! :)
    I need one already now. :)
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,231 Teacher
    The vacuum robots are a good start I guess @april ... but they are still a little expensive right now.