Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Amazing animals

mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,759 ✭✭✭✭
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    This picture shows the agility of the leopard in getting his prey.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

This picture shows the agility of the leopard in getting his prey.

Wow, that is amazing. Wildlife documentaries show this in fantastic detail, but I can't watch them because I hate seeing animals being killed, even though it's just the way of life.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,479 mod
    I am the same Gemma. Wildlife documentaries are worse than Game of Thrones.
    Teach said:

I am the same Gemma. Wildlife documentaries are worse than Game of Thrones.

Indeed - and that's saying something! I could never film anything like that, because I would just want to try and save the animal that was being stalked.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    It won't be the right way of a photographer to banish or even to kill the stronger animal. It's just hungy.

People kill animals because of their fur, horns, teeth or just for looking out of a photo proudly. That's crazy. That's a shame.
    I think that photographers and camera men have the view that they should never do more than observe and let nature take their course @GemmaRowlands. I have to agree with them.

Trophy hunters are awful @Hermine. Sometimes Facebook has its uses as these people are so unpopular and there is a tendency to name and shame them for their cruelty.
    Hermine said:

It won't be the right way of a photographer to banish or even to kill the stronger animal. It's just hungy.

People kill animals because of their fur, horns, teeth or just for looking out of a photo proudly. That's crazy. That's a shame.

I think it should be punishable if they are seen to post those kinds of photos. I have seen that kind of thing online. It's one thing to kill an animal for its meat, but trophy hunting is just horrific.
    I think those photos have helped in some places for authorities to take action. And certainly by shaming them, I would hope they wouldn't have the gall to continue in such a cruel practice. It would be good however, if governments made this sort of thing illegal.
    mheredge said:

I think those photos have helped in some places for authorities to take action. And certainly by shaming them, I would hope they wouldn't have the gall to continue in such a cruel practice. It would be good however, if governments made this sort of thing illegal.

I can't believe that there is anywhere that it isn't illegal, as it's just complete animal cruelty, so governments certainly need to take some responsibility about this.
    If anything a few countries have legalised it, suggesting that the animals have to be culled as there are too many. Culling is one thing but glorifying the killing of animals is something quite different.
    mheredge said:

If anything a few countries have legalised it, suggesting that the animals have to be culled as there are too many. Culling is one thing but glorifying the killing of animals is something quite different.

Yes that is different if there are too many of certain animal and they are causing problems for other animals or humans, but killing for glory alone should hold a heavy penalty.
    I totally agree. When herds of deer get too large in Scotland, I don't have a problem if some are culled and even if shooting them (which I guess is the main way this is done), at least it is been done in a controlled manner. But chasing them with hounds and frightening them is cruel and unnecessary. It's just provides the thrill and fun of the chase for the hunter.
    mheredge said:

I totally agree. When herds of deer get too large in Scotland, I don't have a problem if some are culled and even if shooting them (which I guess is the main way this is done), at least it is been done in a controlled manner. But chasing them with hounds and frightening them is cruel and unnecessary. It's just provides the thrill and fun of the chase for the hunter.

Yes, killing for sport and glory is wrong. There should also definitely be key guidelines to guide culling as well, as they should only happen when it is absolutely necessary.
    I will bear this in mind when I am next eating fish and chips in the open. Research suggests outstaring the sea gulls can prevent their attack. But whatever you do, don't try this with monkeys as this will only provoke them.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/07/stare-seagulls-out-to-save-your-snacks-researcher-says

mheredge said:

I will bear this in mind when I am next eating fish and chips in the open. Research suggests outstaring the sea gulls can prevent their attack. But whatever you do, don't try this with monkeys as this will only provoke them.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/07/stare-seagulls-out-to-save-your-snacks-researcher-says

I was terrified of eating food on the beach as a child for exactly this reason, because once a seagull stole a donut from me, and I refused to eat at the seaside for years after that.
    I got mobbed by seagulls while trying to eat fish and chips in Auckland once, but this was the only time they dared come near me.
    They just seem completely fearless! I think they're used to people feeding them, so they just assume that all food being held is for them.
    I know when the weather is bad out at sea because the gulls come inland and make a heck of a racket. Some of them are really big too. The other day I saw one pecking away at some road-kill. He wasn't at all shy and wasn't put off at all when I crossed near but then again I was avoiding his eye so as not to spoil his dinner.
    We seem to have gulls all over the place at the moment. I was somewhere with my partner the other day and there were loads of them - and we are nowhere near the sea!
    Maybe there aren't so many fish in the sea. Perhaps they are finding easier pickings inland. Or maybe they forecast bad weather.
    I think they have learned where schools are, as there are lots of children dropping food on the floor several times a day.
    I saw a pigeon try to walk into my friend's flat the other day. At least it didn't get very far as the one that I saw in the Carrefour supermarket last week was well and truly stuck. I had to laugh when one of the shop assistants came with a little fishing net on a pole to try to catch it. The pigeon was bigger than the net, so he wouldn't have had any chance even if the pigeon didn't have wings to fly away.
    What a beautiful cat. But sadly a few become man-eaters. I loved the attitude of the village woman from the point of view of not wanting to seek revenge for the loss of her husband. However in cases like these, the Indian authorities often end up killing the tiger, not wanting to risk leaving it in the wild where it might kill more people.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20191120-the-problem-of-indias-man-eating-tigers?xtor=ES-213-[BBC Features Newsletter]-2019November29-[Future|+Button]

• JanjardJanjard Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you know that sea otters sleep hand in hand because they are afraid of drifting too far apart?

I never knew this @Janjard. In fact I didn't know that there were otters living in the sea. I thought they just inhabited rivers.
  • JanjardJanjard Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, so you can see that the LEForum is also educational. I have just checked it for you: No fewer than 13 otter species appear to live on our planet. I didn't know either, but I always thought otters are funny animals. Somehow they look like hominids.

Meet the adorable members of the otter family from around the world, @mheredge https://www.discoverwildlife.com/animal-facts/mammals/otters-of-the-world/

And
    To finish it off:
    Here the giant otter (parents with babies) filmed in a zoo.
    I've only come across one type of otter in Nepal @Janjard though I think there are two or three species there. I'm guessing there's only one species in the UK. So where do all these different kinds of otters live?
    Here close to a river bank there live a few otters. Those guys are working hard on different healthy trees in their surroundings until they fall down.
    I value they will just leave when deforested.
    I guess if there were too many they could cause deforestation @Hermine. Are they endangered species? Or are they ten a penny?
    I assume they are endangered species so the mayor doesn't do anything against them.