Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Tuesday Night Owls - 16 July 2019 - Does decluttering really make you happy?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,231 Teacher
We read about the trend of decluttering, and whether it really makes you happier:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190515-can-decluttering-your-house-really-spark-joy

Vocabulary Top 10:

beguiling - attracting or interesting someone

emulate - to try to be like (someone or something you admire)

sift through - to go through (something) very carefully in order to find something useful or valuable

jersey - a loose shirt worn by a member of a sports team as part of a uniform

onto something - used to say that someone is becoming aware of or is finding something important or special

latitude - freedom to choose how to act or what to do

passé - no longer fashionable or popular

overhaul - to change (something) completely in order to improve it; to look at every part of (something) and repair or replace the parts that do not work

eschew - to avoid (something) especially because you do not think it is right, proper, etc.

shedding - to get rid of (something); to lose (leaves, skin, fur, etc.) naturally; to take off (something you are wearing); to lose or drop (a load, cargo, etc.)

What do you think about decluttering?
What would be easy for you to throw away? What would be difficult for you to throw away?

@Shiny03 @april @filauzio @mahmoudox @taghried @Bassa @Maatuq @Ezîza

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,227 mod
    Decluttering is for me like a life's obligation, unfortunately.
    I can't think of a moment that I am happy to declutter my house.
    I've tried a lot of things to make it easier and gives me more joyfullness, with playing music in the background for example, but nothing helps.
    Of course I'm happy the moment that I've finished the job, but I realise too at that moment that the next second is the beginning of the next decluttering again! That's a neverending job!
    In the article is said that decluttering will change your life, make it happier and make you more focus.
    Would it also happen if you get any help for this? If you just ask and pay somebody to do that job for you?

• NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,231 Teacher
    Maybe part of the joy in decluttering is when you don't need to do it yourself @april :D
    What about cleaning ladies (or cleaning gentlemen :) ), @NatashaT ?
    Would their job affect their life too? Do they have a better life seeing that places become neater thanks to them?
    I hope they do. :D
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,231 Teacher
    edited July 2019
    I definitely think some people feel happier when they see places that are neat and tidy, especially when they weren't like that before @april . I guess being one of those people might make a job as a cleaner a lot more rewarding!
    I do wonder if they (cleaners ;) ) get disappointed when they arrive home and realise they still need to clean their own houses...
    I was neater at work than at home too, @NatashaT . :)
    At home; just close the door and nobody sees the mess, unlike at work. ;)
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I'm an hoarder, at least I don't tend to accumulate all sorts of items in my house, but newspapers.

I mean, in my case, there happens a sort of mismatch between my need to get informed about news and my spare time to actually read them.

Since I can't get satisfied just by skimming short news you find scattered on the internet or as pop-ups, I usually turn out frustated and with piles of unread yet papers.

I still haven't found a way out to this issue, because I can't quench my thirst to go deep into paper news, to get as many details as possible.

The result is that I accumule newspapers and magazines, while comforting and assuring myself about reading them as soon as possible.

Indeed, I'm just cheating myself, because I will never read them, since the next day I will buy a new newspaper to add to the pile.

Maybe the problem is the frequency of newspapers's sale, which should be switched from daily to monthly.

Or perhaps just the world's events should slow down or even stop, until I've managed to read the former ones.

I also tend to accumulate books, even those I'm going never to read in a lifetime. Why ? Because I think that, unconsciously, just looking at the books as they are shelved in a bookcase, create the illusion you've grasped their intellectual content.

I confess that, to a certain degree, I enjoy my clutter though; it gives me comfort and a sense of identity as the article went.

On the other hand, I don't suffer from the inconveniences cited: I can still sleep like a log, can concentrate and don't reach out for junk food out of anxiety.

As for the other items which, as the time passes by, tend to accumulate in any homes, such as items of clothing, shoes, pots and pans, etc., sometimes I hesitate to rush to get rid of them because I don't want them to go straight to the landfill.

I mean I usually prefer them to go to a charity collection, if available, or to the specific recycling container.

Therefore, I wait for these ways of reuse to be operated by council or charity services.

Generally, then, I'm inclined to think that clutter is more a source of stress to women rather than men, who tend to care less.

Men can turn out just getting acquainted with the piles of things they keep bumping against, while women keep holding piles of clutter like alien, despite the long time of peaceful cohabitation.

Yet it still happens to me to get frustrated when I keep searching a receipt or bills long hours, without them ever to turn up at last, because drowned among other paperworks.

In this respect, some order is necessary for you to save, if anything, time and effort.

As for the stuff linked to past memories and having sentimental value, it can also works the other way. For instance I'm still keeping exercise-books and books from my university time.

They give me a bad mood, because they recall me of all the efforts I did to educate myself only to finally end up being employed under my level and consequent expectations.

Yes, sometimes could be an optimal option to get rid of all that illusory stuff straightaway too.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !