Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Walking

mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
How much walking do you do each day? Do you go out for a walk, just for the sake of walking - evening stroll, hiking, walking instead of catching the bus or taking the car?

How far do you count walking as exercise? The scientist here suggests that it is better than you might think and can be worth much more than going to the gym for an hour.

This article is very interesting and suggests that walking is "a superpower" and makes us healthier, happier and brainier. Neuroscientist Shane O’Mara believes that plenty of regular walking unlocks the cognitive powers of the brain like nothing else. He explains why you should exchange your gym kit for a pair of comfy shoes and get strolling

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jul/28/its-a-superpower-how-walking-makes-us-healthier-happier-and-brainier?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA3Mjk=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭
    I like walking, especially I like walking alone. I'm privileged enough to live near my workplace and I get there by foot every day. These are the amounts of steps I took last week from Monday to Friday: 8155(6,84km), 9782 (8,21km), 9759 (8.2km), 9656(8,16km), 12992 (10,89km). The daily distance covered during the lunch time is not included. It's approximately 1,6km plus every day. So, that come to over 10k steps taken every day apart from the weekend, when I'm less active for an apparent reason. Although I feel refreshed after having a good walk, I don't think that it is just enough to keep you fit.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it goes a long way to helping @Vok. Like you, I usually manage these sorts of distances though in the last few weeks the heat has put me off and I have taken the bus or tram a few times when normally I would have walked. Today looks like it might be a bit cooler. I'm hoping it might be only 28 degrees instead of in the mid 30s, so I'm planning to walk down to the port which according to google maps is about 3.5 kilometres away.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I do very little walking some days, as I have to work at a desk for most of the day. However I do enjoy going out for walks if I can, particularly when the weather is nice, and my partner can come too. I think even a twenty minute walk can make a big difference to your overall health and mood.
    I have been terrible these last two days and haven't gone out much. I missed my opportunity today as the weather was a lot cooler than it has been too.
    I venture on a walk even when it's boiling hot out there. With a snail pace though, and taking advantage of shades offered by buildings and trees wherever it's possible @mheredge .
    I know, it is sheer laziness on my part @Vok. Today I will have to make up for it and go for an extra long hike.
    The weather is a little cooler here today, which meant that I walked to pick up my prescription, instead of going by car as I might usually. It wasn't very far, but I do feel better for having had the exercise.
    @Vok I was out for four hours today but I kept stopping, so I don't think I walked all that far. Still, it was extremely pleasant admiring the scenery and strolling along the Promenade des Anglais.
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    I like to walk very much. Its my routine to walk for an hour every day and watch sky. I don't know but i enjoy walking even if we go somewhere to visit i find walking enjoyable, like yesterday we were strolling at Malls and parks as it was awesome weather and I counted my steps it was approx 10000 steps. Although every one else was tired but I didn't.
    But the thing is that most people prefer leisurely way to go around and either you can chose their company or walk alone.
    My daily goal is more than 10000 which I think must be about 10 kilometres or about three hours walking. Today I have been working all day and haven't gone out so I have hardly walked even 100 steps. @nidhii I think walking is an excellent way to get around. I have found myself catching the bus or tram a few times in recent weeks because it has been so hot, but this is a habit I plan to stop as soon as I return from Nepal where I'm going at the end of next week.
    nidhii said:

I like to walk very much. Its my routine to walk for an hour every day and watch sky. I don't know but i enjoy walking even if we go somewhere to visit i find walking enjoyable, like yesterday we were strolling at Malls and parks as it was awesome weather and I counted my steps it was approx 10000 steps. Although every one else was tired but I didn't.

But the thing is that most people prefer leisurely way to go around and either you can chose their company or walk alone.

That is a good amount of walking to do each day, I think. It is even nicer when the weather is beautiful and the sky is bright!
    I'm desperate to stretch my legs and walk. I feel like I have been incredibly lazy this summer, using the heatwave as my excuse. Apart from that wonderful hike in the Tyrol with @Hermine a couple of weeks ago, I've not done much hiking since the beginning of the year. Tomorrow, weather permitting I'm hoping to go for a nice long hike with my friend, maybe looking for butterflies and birds along the way.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    How’s the weather now? Has it stopped raining yet? I hope for the clear sky and bright sunshine for you, but if you do take a walk in the rain, be careful not to slip on the rocks!

Rain has its own beauty, though, if it doesn’t rain too hard.
    One of my clients called me up this morning, and now I’m on my way to visit him. I’m taking a train, so I’ll be walking more than usual. I mainly drive to my clients, which keep me from walking enough. I guess I’m lucky today.
    Today it's beautiful day @takafromtokyo. Unfortunately my friend who I was going to go hiking with is busy at the office, so I probably will just go for a short stroll around the lake this afternoon when I have finished my work.

@mheredge
    Looks like the rain has stopped where you are now. The lake is beautiful. You might want to ride on a boat instead of walking? How about that?
    I have done this before. It's more fun with other people @takafromtokyo and as it's quite hot today, I might just take it easy.
    After having slep for only five hours today I decided to drive to work. First time in three months. I was too tired to walk and I'm sure it wouldn't do me any good anyway.
    You were too tired to walk but not too tired to drive @Vok? I hope you didn't risk falling asleep at the wheel.

I'm a bit fed up as today is a nice day and if it wasn't because I have to wait for someone to contact me so I I can book a flight in a few weeks, I could have joined my friend for a walk by the lake and up a hill to admire the views. But as I have only a few hours before I won't have time and then no laptop, it's something that has to be done now.
    It's a fifty minute walk or a five minute drive @mheredge . I opted for the latter.
    @mheredge
    Too bad. I hope your day would turn out to be happy and fun in the end! Anything can happen; who knows?
    @Vok
    I’m pretty sure I would’ve chosen the latter, too. You don’t have trains or busses to walk to your office?
    @takafromtokyo I can catch a bus but it's not door-to-door and almost one km I have to walk anyway. I'm back to my walking routine today again.
    @Vok
    People say it’s great for your health to walk. I’m a salesperson and my territory spreads over four prefectures. I mostly drive to my clients or my office in the metropolitan Tokyo, so I don’t really get a chance to walk during the weekdays. But I took a walk this morning before entering my office. I felt splendid. Walking does help us revive.

One of my clients called me up this morning, and now I’m on my way to visit him. I’m taking a train, so I’ll be walking more than usual. I mainly drive to my clients, which keep me from walking enough. I guess I’m lucky today.

I think it's good that you get the chance to walk around a bit in your job. That is something that my job sadly lacks!
    @GemmaRowlands
    But you work from home, right? Do you mean you are tied down to your room to work? If you can work from cafes or restaurants in your neighborhood, then I think you can find plenty of chance for walking, can’t you?
    @takafromtokyo some people think that in this day and age walking is a waste of your precious time but I'm a firm beliver in walking as it's worth your while and it's highly underestimated especially among young people.

@GemmaRowlands

But you work from home, right? Do you mean you are tied down to your room to work? If you can work from cafes or restaurants in your neighborhood, then I think you can find plenty of chance for walking, can’t you?

Yes, I do work from home. I can technically take my laptop and work elsewhere, however I much prefer my desktop, and working in other places can cost money as you have to purchase things every so often to be able to stay in there.
    If it hadn't been so hot and humid today I would have walked around the monastery complex at Lumbini today. I was happy to join a young Japanese guy first in an autorickshaw and then a cycle rickshaw.
    I have done a lot of walking today as I went out with my partner as he was off work. So at least I feel as though I have done my exercise for the day!