Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Tuesday Night Owls - 30 July 2019 - A six-step guide to selling

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,175 Teacher
We read an article that explained six tricks that salespeople use to convince us to buy something:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150428-the-subtle-science-of-selling

Vocabulary Top 10:

mess with your mind - causes you to feel confused

stats - statistics

masquerade - to pretend to be someone or something else

shift - (informal) to sell (something)

divulge - to make (information) known : to give (information) to someone

fallacy - a wrong belief : a false or mistaken idea

incidental - happening as a minor part or result of something else

infomercial - a television program that is a long advertisement and that usually includes people talking about and using the product that is being sold

scarcity - a very small supply : the state of being scarce

reciprocate - to do (something) for or to someone who has done something similar for or to you

Did you know of any of these tricks before?
Do you think these techniques could be used in other situations?

@taghried @filauzio @Ezîza @Contety @zachariah @Bassa @Shiny03

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Call right now! Operators are standing by to take your order.”
    “Call in the next 10 minutes and we’ll double your order!”
    “Not available in stores, and limited quantities apply!”
    “But wait, there’s more!”

I have to admit that those infomercials are so convincing that I even bought some of them. Did you notice that they seem to work so well while being performing on TV, but turn out like crap when you actually have them? Thanks to their ubiquitous performance in today's society, I don't watch or buy from it anymore. Just being rational and ask yourself, do I really need 19 knives (according to that Ginsu knife infomercial mentioned in the article) in my house? We're living an 'abundant' life, more/ extravagance is the last thing we need these days.

However, just for convenience, I made an infomercial list. Whenever you feel like to watch it, by all means, do so as little or more as you'd like, it's certainly not going anywhere.

A parody aggregated infomercials

Despite some of the infomercial industry's huge successful products, most people have a somewhat negative review and reporting that they have issues with companies and products.
  • SpinxSpinx Posts: 3
    Thanks for sharing a list of useless things in the world.
    I think all this videos that show on TV were the advertising. And that make you beleive that the products will be the best things in world and you must have them in your hosue. But actually they are always useless when you need them.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,175 Teacher
    @Spinx yes, that's the point! The article was talking about how we are convinced by salespeople to buy things we don't need, and these videos are excellent examples of those techniques!