Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Monday Night Owls - 5 August 2019 - Should children be taught to be polite to AI?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,172 Teacher
We read an article which debated the pros and cons of teaching children to be polite to AI, like Alexa:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40588020/the-case-against-teaching-kids-to-be-polite-to-alexa

Vocabulary Top 10:

raft - a large amount or number of people or things

the magic word - 'please'

nudge - to encourage (someone) to do something

punitive - intended to punish someone or something

construed - to understand (an action, event, remark, etc.) in a particular way

sentient - able to feel, see, hear, smell, or taste

presumably - very likely — used to say what you think is likely to happen or be true even though you are not sure

preemptive - done to stop an unwanted act by another group, country, etc., from happening

scrutinize - to examine (something) carefully especially in a critical way

infancy - the first part of a child's life : the time in your life when you are a baby

Do you think we should treat AI like we treat other humans?
Should we make sure that children know the difference between AI and people?

@aza @Shiny03 @Contety @taghried

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's strange to let AI teach your children the courtesy. It's like a tool, like the videos we use to teach children to sing and play. I know what the writer concerns. At this point, I kind of agree with him. As you know, there're always people there worry about this and that. Just like video games, many people deduce that they damage children's physical and mental health. I don't say it's a bad thing that parents worry about their children. Because sometimes it means they care about them.

Incidentally, don't you think it makes an effort to teach children to say thank you and please, yet it takes no time for them to spit foul words? Therefore, 'let's practise being nice game' isn't that bad. Honestly, the idea isn't that harmful. Because children are not stupid, when they grow up they will tell the difference between human beings and AI. In short, they don't just learn from what adults taught them. They also learn from their experiences. I think they'll figure it out sooner or later.

In Japan, they teach children to say thank you just right before a meal (not like pray). Or say thank you before throwing away a pair of mangled shoes, torn out trousers or worn-out clothing, etc. It's not only because they believe every individual object has soul/spirit, but also a way to say goodbye. Actually, it's how they express a sense of regret and gratitude. In other words, thank each item for serving its purpose before dumping them and for those people who worked hard behind them so as to let us can benefit from them. What's more, if you respect those items and treat them in a kind way, you'll enhance the spirit in them and they'll return you the favour with full energy or become positive and vice versa. I know it might sound bizarre; however, I don't see Japanese are going crazy or messing around with reality and virtuality.

This is how they practise this etiquette/manner: put their hands together, bow their head slightly down and say the magic word.

• GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Totally agree with you, @Shiny03. Especially of Japanese's habit ( if I could say like that) to thank unlived thing for serving people. There is something is in it.