Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There I was on a July morning,
I was looking for love.
With the strength
Of a new day dawning
And the beautiful sun.
And at the sound
Of the first bird singing
I was leaving for home.
With the storm
And the night behind me
Yeah, and a road of my own.

Uriah Heep - July Morning
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in July

Tuesday Night Owls - 6 August 2019 - Using deliberate practice to improve

We read an article which explained that the way you learn something can be more important than how much time you spend learning it:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190318-how-to-master-new-skills-with-deliberate-practice

Vocabulary Top 10:

clock up - to gain or reach (a particular number or amount)

turn (someone) off - to cause a strong feeling of dislike in (someone) : to be unappealing to (someone)

pupil - someone who is taught especially artistic or musical skills by a usually famous person

threshold - the point or level at which something begins or changes

predefined - defined, limited, or established in advance

hold down (a job) - to continue to have (a job)

leg up - to help; to give someone an advantage over others

scrape a website - copy (data) from a website using a computer program

hack - someone who does work that is not important or original

eluded - to fail to be achieved by (someone); to avoid or escape (someone or something) by being quick, skillful, or clever

Have you ever used deliberate practice to get better at something?
What are your best tips to master a new skill?

@april @Bassa @filauzio @Shiny03 @saraal @MarkRavenhoodie

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @taghried You should come to the session today. I think you're going to like this topic. This video is for you. It seems to me you fancy watching TED so much and it is worth noting.

I think 'deliberate practice' is quite persuasive and makes sense. Practice is very powerful, but if we just keep practising without concern or just randomly, it's like it loses its power. Check this description what I found on the internet: "Deliberate practice refers to a special type of practice that is purposeful and systematic. While regular practice might include mindless repetitions, deliberate practice requires focused attention and is conducted with the specific goal of improving performance." For example, to learn something is like to swim in the sea. If we just swim aimlessly in the sea, in the end, we might get exhausted and be lost. To avoid this, we could start by learning one specific thing, such as how to read the stars, the climate or simply how to swim and have fun in the sea. (You know, it's not easy to swim in the sea as in a pool.) Thus, you have to find your own specific way of practice and then, it will lead you to the achievement you planned.

Okay, I think I'm speaking a long drawn out speech now. Let me curtail my enthusiasm and jump to a conclusion. When we try to do something new, it's like we are leaving our comfort zone. So we feel frightened and insecure, we might stop proceeding or even worse we give up from the beginning. Speaking of my experience, every time when I study new words, my brain kind like rejects it and refuses to remember them. It's like there's a voice somewhere in my mind telling me to go back and to use those words I've already known (the comfort zone). The rejection happens when we feel unfamiliar with new things, so I decide to let it become familiar. I 'view' those new words every day for a week. Amazingly, my brain is kinda like warming up and willing to accept them. In advance, I feel like my brain is prepared to provide space for those new words. So, the following week, I start to find sentences for those not-so-raw words. The rest is the story. (Am I digressing? It's really hot today making me feel like I'm barbequed! I even feel I can't breathe!)

Deliberate Practice for Dummies (like me)
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey! I know alteast a few words listed above! Btw, about to attend to a session, @NatashaT! Excited as a puppy! XD
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,206 mod
    I admire this Professor Ericsson, who spent 30 years of research just to discover this Deliberate Practice process.
    However, I wonder how many people agree with his theory.
    Me, myself have my doubts about it, but who am I?
    If he spent 30 years for his research, then he must be right, musn't he?

I still have the opinion that you need raw talent, motivation, possibility, good feedback, sometimes also money, time and a lot of practice to reach your high standard goal.
    Now I'm confused; is it not what the professor meant with his Deliberate Practice theory? :o
    Anyway, I'm glad that many people can and have the will to do that, with or without extreme effort, deliberately or not deliberately so we can also take the benefit of their success like new technologies in medical treatment.
    Otherwise I would have had a scar of a heart peration in the middle of my chest right now instead of just coronary stents. ;)

I'm glad that a lot of people still have the motto: "You can get what you want if you really want to. Don't give up and learn from your mistakes."

• taghriedtaghried Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    First things first, Thanks @Shiny03 ,for the Ted_talk video, the good thing in ted talk on general it's informative and in a short time, intriguing topics as well
    Without your mention I won't read the article actually .

I have a confession to make, I'm a slow learner because as the writer mentioned, the commitment concept is daunting me.
    I acquired a driving skill in 3 months because firstly it's manual and secondly I'm not self_discipline, Although, I could learn it in 2 weeks if I dedicated 3 hours every day.

I agree with the writer, it's wrong (to be good you had to be born with the attributes because it was difficult to produce high-level performers, which is wrong)
    You shouldn't have a talent to have a particular skill, it's all about our ambitious, practicing and our concentration, It's better to focus on one skill because focusing on many skills you'll definitely waste time and disturbed yourself.

Also it had better to not tell people around you about your goal and just work on it(I spoke about it before in Marrien's session, but it comes in my mind now , so would like to repeat it because I'm totally convinced.
    There is a well_known phrase (loose lips, sink ships), talking too much about what you will you intend to do, will lead you to do nothing.