Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Dangerous sports

mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
Sad news of the latest death of a racing cyclist makes the writer of this article ponder on the danger of the sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/aug/07/cycling-latest-tragedy-shake-faith-enthusiast?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA4MDg=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

'Lambrecht’s death feels uncomfortably like the latest in a sequence of untimely deaths, more specifically among Belgian professional cyclists. ... L’Équipe listed eight international riders who have died in competition in the last three years... Five were from Belgium.

Three of the eight died of heart attacks while racing; five were related to crashes. It is a disconcertingly high rate of attrition but there have always been complaints that professional cycling is becoming more dangerous for its participants... that represents a high mortality rate set against mainstream sports.

The risks run by amateur racing cyclists are similar if not greater; on British roads in the bulk of races the tarmac is shared with traffic coming in the opposite direction that is under no legal obligation to slow down to let a peloton pass through.'

What are your thoughts on risks associated with sport? Can anything be done to make them safer? Or are we getting soft? Should we accept an element of risk?

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    It is such a shame. My friend lives on the Isle of Man, and there are many deaths because of the motorsports that go on there. But, I don't think they should be banned. So long as they understand the risk, that's their decision to make.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, so long as it doesn't endanger too many other people. Mountaineering is another sport that can be very risky. In fact there are a lot of sports and activities that carry risk which is what makes them appealing. Canyoning, rock climbing, white water rafting and so on.
    Oh of course, other people need to be safe. I don't understand it myself, as I would prefer to just keep safe rather than put myself at risk. It wouldn't be fair to my family!
    Some people like that adrenaline rush and don't really think about the consequences. I do know a few mountaineers and climbers who stopped after they started a family however. They considered that the sport was too dangerous to continue when they had children to take care of.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, some people don't stop even after they start having kids @mheredge . Most of them, I guess, think they'll stay safe and sound no matter what.
    It's incredibly selfish to continue when they have these kinds of responsibilities.
    Vok said:

Unfortunately, some people don't stop even after they start having kids @mheredge . Most of them, I guess, think they'll stay safe and sound no matter what.

It's definitely not fair on the kids, as they are running the risk of leaving them without a parent, which just isn't fair at all.
    They've changed the rules back to limited numbers and a much more expensive permit to climb Everest. The mountaineers are also supposed to be experienced though I'm not sure how they will judge this. All the same, this should hopefully avoid the situation like this year's chaos on the mountain to repeat itself.
    That is a good thing for sure. So many people think they can climb Everest just because they have climbed Snowdon or similar, but they are very very different.
    Yes I think most people don't know what they are letting themselves in for and think the sherpas will do all the work.
  • MstfMstf Posts: 3
    İnterestingly, some of the people addicted to adrenaline and they won't give up doing these sports even if it costs their life.
    @Mstf what do you think drives those people? stupidity or addiction?
    The adrenaline rush is what a lot of people like - whether it's bungy jumping, white water rafting or mountaineering. I think it's an addiction for these people. I have to say that I weigh up the risks carefully and like to play safe even if people think I'm very 'brave.'
    One of my friends has decided to do Base Camp as a sponsored challenge. He actually asked if I would like to go with him, but I politely declined.
    Base Camp isn't dangerous. It's just a long hike. I have been meeting a few people who have just returned from there. It is already cold. A Sri Lankan guy found that the toughest part as he's used to hot temperatures and it was minus twenty with snow when he was there a few days ago.
    It still scares me though, as I know I'm not the fittest person in the world, so I don't think I'm up to it at all.
    You'd be fine. I'm sure you are a lot fitter than me.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    I think parkour is one of it.
    @zaiymurs it just reminds me of this

@zaiymurs I think you have to be incredibly fit and fearless for parkour. I have to work at not tripping over on the pavement and I was never much good at the long jump or the high jump at school.

@Vok I would be more like the character in The Office, but you wouldn't have had me jump on that cardboard box from the garage roof. It looked too dangerous for my liking :-) .
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    That's hilarious @Vok .

I don't think it's going to suits me well @mheredge , because i'm fearing of height, a moderate Acrophobia person.
    Don't look down @Vok. But at least you can avoid agoraphobia as there shouldn't be too many people joining you.