Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Story telling

mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
Do you like telling stories? When giving presentations, these can help to capture your audience's attention. But you need to be careful. This article gives some tips on what to avoid. (CLICK HERE FOR ARTICLE)

Bad Habit No. 1: Giving too much background
Bad Habit No. 2: Telling, not showing: action and dialogue, not facts
Bad Habit No. 3: Taking too much time
Bad Habit No. 4: Not including any dialogue
Bad Habit No. 5: Taking your audience through unnecessary detours

On the same subject, THIS ARTICLE argues that Our Brains Tell Stories So We Can Live. It suggests that without inner narratives we would be lost in a chaotic world. We are all storytellers; we make sense out of the world by telling stories.

And on the same theme, this BBC video looks at how stories shape our minds. The one who tells the story rules the world. I can highly recommend this 5 minute film.

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/how-stories-shape-our-minds/p07h9t70

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I know a few people who put far too much detail into their stories, to the extent that they end up telling a few extra stories before they get to the main point.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I think we all have come across people like this. They are garrulous, long-winded or are just waffling. @Shiny03 , @Hermine, @Glorian, @taghried note the vocabulary here. They get bogged down in too much detail.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭
    It's not easy to not pad your story out with irrelevant details @GemmaRowlands . I find it a crucial skill to speak to the point all the time.
    I sometimes like those additional details though @Vok, as they set the scene and add to the atmosphere. I think it is important to get a balance between being too brief and overly verbose.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    I see it's not easy to change a person's qualities from talking too much to speak concisely.
    For instance: in my community the taxi or microbus driver, they're nonstop speaking, they don't care if you reply to them or not. there was a clash happened before in microbus, because the passenger informed the driver to stop talking, the driver told him you can left if I bother you

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/how-stories-shape-our-minds/p07h9t70?playlist=made-in-partnership-with-the-open-university
    I like the short video about reading...
    I agree,Immersing ourself into a story will reflect on us as a video mentioned (Harry Potter) books will reduce the prejudice towards immigrants.

it's true also when we connect with fictional character we buffer ourselves from the real world.it helps to feel less lonely.
    Uber are already testing this option which will enable you to choose for yourself whether you'd like to chat or not during your ride @taghried .

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jun/12/hit-mute-button-why-everyone-trying-to-silence-outside-world-uber
    Vok said:

It's not easy to not pad your story out with irrelevant details @GemmaRowlands . I find it a crucial skill to speak to the point all the time.

I know, I find myself doing it sometimes, but if I'm talking to my partner he will just tell me to hurry up and get to the point!
    I love chatty taxi drivers in Nepal or Spanish speaking countries. They're the only people who seem to understand my chronic Nepali or Spanish.
    edited August 19
    It's an intriguing article @Vok

well, if we go to work or college many don't like to speak so, mostly we put earphones to shun any hustle.
    one of the hustles is the unworthy conversation because you know at the end of it the conversation will convert into quarrel, so the headphones would be the best, on the contrary, if we travel to another city we tend to interact more with people around and enjoy.

I remember a funny game I was playing with friends, one of them asked us to imagine if languages are humans, what kind of human do you think they will be!
    for example French it could be as an elegant lady, Spain as a man with mustache and colourful shirt, Italy as a talkative person...I know it's not related to the topic but I just want to share it. ^_^

Vok said:

I know, I find myself doing it sometimes, but if I'm talking to my partner he will just tell me to hurry up and get to the point!
    Doesn't it get your goat?
    Vok said:

Vok said:

Doesn't it get your goat?
    Sometimes, but often when I'm telling him a story he will be on his break at work, so I understand that he only has a short amount of time to speak to me.
    Oh @taghried in your game I think I would be Italian, cooking lots of spaghetti and waving my arms about all the time. What language would you like to be?
    @mheredge,none of them hahaha, I would like to be a Lebanese because I admire the way that they're talking, their accent and their decent words.