Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Keeping focussed

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands
    Your vision is almost perfect with the help of the glasses. Very good!

I think I should have glasses. I’m looking things in doubles or triples these days.
    @Paulette
    A teacher needs a good vision. I think so too, otherwise you might think the class has 40 students when in fact there only 20 students..
  • VokVok Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo @Paulette I've come to believe that all teachers that've ever taught me have eyes in the back of their heads.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 24,751 mod
    @Vok congratulations you have discovered the secret of teachers. ;)
    @Vok @Paulette
    I don’t have eyes in the back of my head, but I believe I have an alarm clock inside my head. I always wake up just before my smartphone alarm goes off so that I can switch it off. I’m working just like the alarm to my phone.
    @art19
    Welcome to the forum!
    Do you have good vision?
    (´⊙ω⊙`)

@art19

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have good vision?

(´⊙ω⊙`)

I must have a warped mind @takafromtokyo . It's not glasses that I see in your message...
    @Vok
    What glasses?
    (´⊙ω⊙`) ← The guy needs no glasses; he has excellent vision! (^ ^)

By the way, I usually don’t wear glasses, but I know my eyesight is not sufficient enough to renew my driver’s license. I always rely on my instinct in the eye test. So far, it has always helped me.
    So, I was right then @takafromtokyo ? This (´⊙ω⊙`) isn't a pair of glasses, is it?)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,806 ✭✭✭✭
    My distance vision isn't perfect in one eye but I see well enough to not need glasses for distances. I can read without too much problem as long as the light is good, the font size isn't too small and I'm not tired. Invariably I don't have all three and this is when glasses are useful.

The power has just gone off, so I'm glad my tablet is bright.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Paulette said:

@takafromtokyo I am wearing glasses, without it I see it all in double and very unclear. But with my glasses I can see quit well. I am trained to see a lot because that is a very important quality of a teacher.

I guess you have to do a lot of reading and writing as a teacher, so you definitely have to be able to see what you're doing.
    @Vok
    His eyes are wide open.
    (´⊙ω⊙`)

Either he has an excellent vision, or he just might not have been having a good sleep lately.
    Maybe because the middle character looks like a 'w' I see an owl. Maybe I'm now just seeing things.
    @mheredge
    Now that you’ve mentioned it, I’m starting to look at an owl, too!
    Autosuggestion @takafromtokyo.

I'm struggling to keep focused at the moment. It's too hot! Being a professional tourist so to speak, can be a tough job.
    @mheredge
    Yeah, I know. Perceptions make us see what we want to see, not what truly is in front of us.

You go and explore places to guide visitors.
    It’s tough, but it’s a precious job. The world needs someone like you!
    Today was a day off @takafromtokyo and I joined my tourist friends for a walk in the jungle, something I love to do whenever I come here. We saw a rhino, some deer, monkeys and I saw a fish leaping out of the water.
    @mheredge
    I always wonder what it's like to walk in the jungle. I'm sure it's nothing like walking in the mountains in Japan. Obviously, we don't see a rhino here; we sometimes see mokeys and deer, though. We see hundreds of crickets.

I'm thinking of climbing Mt.Takao on Saturday night or Sunday night. We're going to have a full moon about then.
    @takafromtokyo
    I've never been to the jungle and I'd like to roam around there one day. I'm a bit apprehensive about encountering snakes even thought they're probably not the most dangerous animals out there. Did you see any snakes in the jungle this time? @mheredge

@mheredge
    I always wonder what it's like to walk in the jungle. I'm sure it's nothing like walking in the mountains in Japan. Obviously, we don't see a rhino here; we sometimes see mokeys and deer, though. We see hundreds of crickets.

I'm thinking of climbing Mt.Takao on Saturday night or Sunday night. We're going to have a full moon about then.

I would love to go to the jungle, but at the same time I would be wary about what kind of animals would be there.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What mostly keep distracting me isn't really my smartphone or any digital devices, but rather the noise, in particular the traffic noise, @mheredge.
    You know the roaring noise of motorcycles or cars darting up a slope: that's very unnerving, especially during these hot days, when you keep your windows open both during day and nighttime.

In order to surmount it I usually use ear-plugs.

I wear glasses to see in the distance, @takafromtokyo, but I take them off, obviously, when I go swimming in the sea, as I did this Summer; maybe I should opt for contact lens some days; this way, I could keep my distance eyesight even when swimming farther from the beach, and keep an eye on what's happening around me.

I think the most dangerous animals you could encounter while walking in a jungle might be big carnivores and poisonous reptiles, @Vok , @GemmaRowlands.
    I'm afraid, though, that the first animals who would do it to first approach and make your acquaintance would be winged and multi-legged insects.
    They, maybe, wouldn't eat you straightaway, but would likely endear themselves to you by biting or, as the case with mosquitoes, by injecting you with the malaria's agent.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    @filauzio
    Speaking of insects in the jungle, I wonder how well insect repellents from drug stores in my neighborhood would actually work against insects in the jungle. Insect repellents are basically designed to work against certain targeted insects. The repellent makers certainly don’t target insects in the jungle because that wouldn’t sell much.
    @takafromtokyo it depends on how attractive you're as a prey to insects I guess. Some people seem to be less effected by bites or getting fewer bites than me for example. And I find little solace in repellents. They just don't work for me at all.
    filauzio said:

What mostly keep distracting me isn't really my smartphone or any digital devices, but rather the noise, in particular the traffic noise, @mheredge.
    You know the roaring noise of motorcycles or cars darting up a slope: that's very unnerving, especially during these hot days, when you keep your windows open both during day and nighttime.

In order to surmount it I usually use ear-plugs.

I wear glasses to see in the distance, @takafromtokyo, but I take them off, obviously, when I go swimming in the sea, as I did this Summer; maybe I should opt for contact lens some days; this way, I could keep my distance eyesight even when swimming farther from the beach, and keep an eye on what's happening around me.

I think the most dangerous animals you could encounter while walking in a jungle might be big carnivores and poisonous reptiles, @Vok , @GemmaRowlands.
    I'm afraid, though, that the first animals who would do it to first approach and make your acquaintance would be winged and multi-legged insects.
    They, maybe, wouldn't eat you straightaway, but would likely endear themselves to you by biting or, as the case with mosquitoes, by injecting you with the malaria's agent.

I possibly won't go to the jungle then! I think you've managed to convince me that it is definitely a better idea to stay at home.
    @Vok
    Business suits were traditionally tailored to fit perfectly in the old days until standardized ones came and pushed them away at lower prices. Now, low cost business suits are also looking for chances to sell tailored ones at a low price. Since those guys can do it, so can the guys in the insect repellents industry. I guess they’ll soon start selling tailored insect repellents, too! It’s going to be for you, @Vok !
    Spiders creeping up your legs isn't so bad after all, @GemmaRowlands, it can give you goose pimples at first, but it's definitely the price you have to pay to experience the wonder of wild nature in real life rather than by TV documentaries. :D

Mosquitoes are much more insidious and dangerous: that's why, I suppose, they advice you to cover any parts of your skin when walking in the jungle.
    And also sleeping wrapped in a tightly woven threads' net.

I can't say whether your local store's insects' repellent can be as effective in an exotic jungle as well, @takafromtokyo: that's a good question.

I recently experienced some relief in my routine, by rubbing after-shave menthol cream over my arms and it worked against mosquitoes for a while.

Soon, however, the biting squadron managed to suck my blood back.. probably by holding their nose.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    Elephants are the most dangerous animals @filauzio. They might not want to eat you but they will happily trample over you. Rhinos too. Fortunately theyre very short sighted, so it's easier to hide from them.

I hate leeches. I'm going to get some salt as this is the best deterrent. I find insect repellent quite effective @Vok but the problem is that mosquitoes sometimes bite through my clothes where there's no repellant.
    filauzio said:

Spiders creeping up your legs isn't so bad after all, @GemmaRowlands, it can give you goose pimples at first, but it's definitely the price you have to pay to experience the wonder of wild nature in real life rather than by TV documentaries. :D

Mosquitoes are much more insidious and dangerous: that's why, I suppose, they advice you to cover any parts of your skin when walking in the jungle.
    And also sleeping wrapped in a tightly woven threads' net.

I can't say whether your local store's insects' repellent can be as effective in an exotic jungle as well, @takafromtokyo: that's a good question.

I recently experienced some relief in my routine, by rubbing after-shave menthol cream over my arms and it worked against mosquitoes for a while.

Soon, however, the biting squadron managed to suck my blood back.. probably by holding their nose.

Ha ha, there is no way that I would ever allow myself to go anywhere where it was at all likely that spiders would have free rein on my legs!
    I suppose leeches are common in swamps, are they @mheredge ? They should turn out very annoying, sticking to your skin and sucking your blood; maybe, though, you can easily spot and remove them if their bite result painful.

I think the hippos too, might be very dangerous: they've got very large fanged mouth and can charge you and run very fast.
    Theirs real nature is quite the opposite of its advertising iconography that was common in my country.
    In such context, hippos were represented as tender characters appropriate as children's pets.
    Maybe it was also because of their funny name: hippopotamus.
    Hippos are definitely very dangerous, but luckily it's quite easy to avoid them!!