Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Keeping focussed

13»

Comments

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 23,939 mod
    Indeed leeches are very slippery and they stick on your skin and suck up the blood to the surface of your body skin. It is known that when a leech sticks to people, more than 300 substances be released into the body. "" One of those substances is endorphine, a hormone that induces a happy feeling. They also lower blood pressure, which can have a beneficial effect on hypertension.
    These worm-like animals are used in natural medicine
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    This morning, the sunrise was so beautiful that I wasn’t able to fully focus on my driving. I had to take out my smartphone to shoot its beauty.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭
    No hippos in Nepal thank goodness but rhinos are dangerous. They're very fast but fortunately short sighted @filauzio.

I had to laugh at the idea of aftershave lotion as a mosquito repellant (I thought perfume attracts them), but lavender oil and lemon grass, as well as citronella are supposed to be good repellants.

I managed to find a few leeches. Salt is the best way to deter them, and the safest way to remove them. They make a lot of mess as you don't feel the nasty beasts and usually only know one has sunk it's fangs into you by the blood everywhere.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

This morning, the sunrise was so beautiful that I wasn’t able to fully focus on my driving. I had to take out my smartphone to shoot its beauty.

Be careful taking photos on your phone if you're driving! It's illegal to do that here, and for good reason!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hippos are definitely very dangerous, but luckily it's quite easy to avoid them!!

I've no experience in escaping hippos, @GemmaRowlands, but I'm afraid they are fast runners on land, other than nimble swimmers and divers in water too: so maybe it's always better to keep at a safe distance just in case: if anything, the legs'count comes to your detriment: it's four-legged hippo versus two-legged human !.-
    Paulette said:

Indeed leeches are very slippery and they stick on your skin and suck up the blood to the surface of your body skin. It is known that when a leech sticks to people, more than 300 substances be released into the body. "" One of those substances is endorphine, a hormone that induces a happy feeling. They also lower blood pressure, which can have a beneficial effect on hypertension.

Do you mean, @Paulette, that leeches are still used currently in some local medicine ? I thought that they were just used in the past, when the medical practice moved its first steps in the western countries, and European in particular.
    Then, if they are so beneficial to lower hypertension, I wonder why they aren't still used instead of the toxic pills which possibly can bring together a series of side effects.
    Since hypertension is a chronic widespread disease among the developed countries' older people, leeches could represent the optimal choice as the targeting drug.
    However, the replacement of such pills by means of these worms would likely cause another chronic problem: the pharmaceutical industry's profits' perpetual loss to an estended degree.

Then, @mheredge, the nasty beast has also managed to inject you with endorphine, the happiness hormone: I just wonder what the other more than 300 substances released into your body by the leeches' bites will be: what's for sure is that they should make up for all the mess they leave.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    They certainly leave their mark a long time @filauzio. I'm not convinced that I felt very happy either, though I suppose I was relieved this time my socks didn't get bloodstained.
    filauzio said:

Hippos are definitely very dangerous, but luckily it's quite easy to avoid them!!

I've no experience in escaping hippos, @GemmaRowlands, but I'm afraid they are fast runners on land, other than nimble swimmers and divers in water too: so maybe it's always better to keep at a safe distance just in case: if anything, the legs'count comes to your detriment: it's four-legged hippo versus two-legged human !.-
    Paulette said:

Do you mean, @Paulette, that leeches are still used currently in some local medicine ? I thought that they were just used in the past, when the medical practice moved its first steps in the western countries, and European in particular.
    Then, if they are so beneficial to lower hypertension, I wonder why they aren't still used instead of the toxic pills which possibly can bring together a series of side effects.
    Since hypertension is a chronic widespread disease among the developed countries' older people, leeches could represent the optimal choice as the targeting drug.
    However, the replacement of such pills by means of these worms would likely cause another chronic problem: the pharmaceutical industry's profits' perpetual loss to an estended degree.

Then, @mheredge, the nasty beast has also managed to inject you with endorphine, the happiness hormone: I just wonder what the other more than 300 substances released into your body by the leeches' bites will be: what's for sure is that they should make up for all the mess they leave.
    Ha ha, I would NEVER try to outrun a hippo. I think I will just stay as far away from them as humanly possible, at all times!
    Running up a tree might be the safest option.
    If only I had the athleticism to be able to do something like that! I think the hippo would definitely win that one!
    This would be my biggest concern too. Hopefully there'd be enough people already up there to pull me out of danger.
    @mheredge
    But if there were so many people up there already, there might not be an extra space left for you to join the flock.
    True and of there were too many, maybe the branches wouldn't be strong enough to carry the weight and they'd all fall on top of the rhino. That would give it a shock @takafromtokyo if nothing else.

If only I had the athleticism to be able to do something like that! I think the hippo would definitely win that one!

It's interesting that maybe, nowadays, no one is able, anymore, to climb up a tree. I say ' anymore ', because I suppose, in the past, the majority of people was; at least because there used to be more trees in the towns; also because more people conducted a life in the countryside, @mheredge , @takafromtokyo.

I also suppose there isn't just one technique to climb a tree: climbing a tree turns out maybe kind of a free-style activity: anyone interpreting the climbing strategy in their own ways.

I also suppose I'm not so nimble to climb a tree: it takes maybe a rhino or hippo's charge to make me re-gather at once all my athleticism !

By the way, what's the correct opposite of athleticism ? Clumsiness ?
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    @filauzio @mheredge @GemmaRowlands @Paulette @Vok

Athletic animals can climb a tree on four.

Yes @takafromtokyo I already saw it and I was very surprised because here in my country goats only climb on rocks., nonetheless they look just the same as the goats on the movie. What food do you give them in Japan? ;)
  • VokVok Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree @filauzio . Climbing trees has long become the thing of the past. In the cities there are hardly any trees left to climb on. I think I was quite good at climbing when I was young. It takes some practise and concentration not to put your foot wrong.
    I think goats in Japan are fed with grasses, just like goats in any other places.

When we think of climbing a wall or a tree, we immediately mind about our grips. But goats certainly don’t have grips with their hoofs, and that leaves us in awe to see goats perched on branches like that.
    I've seen goats climb trees in Morocco @Paulette. They are very agile and can climb the steepest rocky cliffs. I saw horses climb up stairs before too, in Nepal.

filauzio said:

It's interesting that maybe, nowadays, no one is able, anymore, to climb up a tree. I say ' anymore ', because I suppose, in the past, the majority of people was; at least because there used to be more trees in the towns; also because more people conducted a life in the countryside, @mheredge , @takafromtokyo.

I also suppose there isn't just one technique to climb a tree: climbing a tree turns out maybe kind of a free-style activity: anyone interpreting the climbing strategy in their own ways.

I also suppose I'm not so nimble to climb a tree: it takes maybe a rhino or hippo's charge to make me re-gather at once all my athleticism !

By the way, what's the correct opposite of athleticism ? Clumsiness ?
    I used to climb trees when I was a child, but only simple trees, and I certainly don't think I can do that anymore!
    I could climb up easily enough but it was the coming down that was always the problem.
    @mheredge
    In the video you shared, the goats climb up the almost upright wall of the dam trying to lick on some essential nutrients that they lack being vegetarians. It could cost you a life being a vegetarian!

One question is do they really need to climb that high to have a lick? The wall looks pretty much the same on the bottom and the top.

@GemmaRowlands @Vok @Paulette @filauzio
    @takafromtokyo the grass is always greener....

Today I am finding it hard to keep focussed. I know I have a lot of do but after finishing my book this morning, I went into Thamel, and ended up at my favourite little local place. I should have gone here straight away instead of wandering around like a lost soul for a couple of hours. Thamel is so touristy and although it's not yet too busy, the Dashain traffic is a nuisance and it is not easy to find a quiet corner to relax.
    @takafromtokyo those goats are very smart and combine exercise and nutrition because they know that both things are important for good health.
    Goats are notorious dustbins and basically will eat anything.
    To me, @takafromtokyo, the sight of those goats keeping in balance onto the steep wall of the dam is quite a slap in the face to those hypertension's affected forced to keep themselves from eating blacklisted foods.

The documentary tell us, in fact, that these animals are licking the salty rocks, because they lack this mineral to supplement their diet.

However, we generally know that salty food is strictly forbidden to people affected by hypertension, not to experience its symptoms among which, I'm afraid, there's possibly head's spinning and dizziness too.

Therefore, the goats' performance to climb the heights of the dam's vertical walls, seem to me denying while mocking at the same time the universally shared medical warning's equations reading: salt = hypertension and hypertension= dizziness.

These ungulate herbivore really seem to enjoy rubbing salt, ( literally ! ) into the hypertensive's wounds, don't they ?

@GemmaRowlands wrote:

' ... I used to climb trees when I was a child, but only simple trees, and I certainly don't think I can do that anymore!... '

Wouldn't have been it the most unforgettable magic experience ever to have been able, at least once in a life, to climb such a high tree as the strawberry plant ? I suppose ants' children really do !
    Salt is important to a balanced diet but it's the usual problem, enough salt within reason, and not in excess @filauzio.

Anyway I guess the goats couldn't case a toss about their blood pressure. As high altitude animals in this example, their blood pressure is probably already high.