Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 19 August 2019 - How our definition of technology changes with time

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read part of an article which discusses how technology has developed over time, and how our definition of it has also changed; that all 'big inventions' we remember are based on older inventions that we forget about:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190207-technology-in-deep-time-how-it-evolves-alongside-us

Vocabulary Top 10:

entwine - to twist together or around

speck - a very small piece or spot

coalesce - to come together to form one group or mass

biosphere - the part of the Earth in which life can exist

apocalyptic - of, relating to, or involving terrible violence and destruction; of or relating to the end of the world

crafting - to make or produce (something) with care or skill

account - a description of an event or situation : a story or report about something; a list or description of facts

influential - having the power to cause changes : having influence

obscured - to hide or cover (something) : to be in front of (something) so that it cannot be seen; to make (something) difficult to understand or know : to make (something) obscure

stirring - causing strong feelings

Think of a piece of technology you use every day - what was it developed from? What other technologies had to be created first?

@Shiny03 @Just-Learn @taghried

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'The best thing since sliced bread.' It comes to mind when Natasha asked us the questions. I mean the technology is ubiquitous and saturated in our daily life. It has such a huge influence on human history, but we live with it unconsciously. That simple phrase mentioned above tells the whole story. I mean brevity is how we get to the bread we have these days. We found yeast, we bleach the flour, we knead the dough, we bake them in ovens, and finally, we slice the bread. Try to imagine this and think of how many works(technology) behind the scene? Amazing, isn't it?

I think everyone is so smart that they might already come up with thousands of examples of it. But I want to especially advert to the technology of textile. When we think of clothes, fashion or design probably the first thing leaps to mind. However, there is a Japanese fabric maker, Toray, doing an excellent job on weaving. The fabrics they make have gained a great reputation and popularity in the Middle East because of its soft, rich and wrinkle-resistant texture. The traditional clothing, thobe, for men is mainly made of cotton. They use high-quality cotton to spin into thread, then, proceed in the process of weaving and dyeing to make finest and air-permeable fabrics. Just like it said in the article, consequently, technology is the increments of design, manufacture, refinement, and combination that mark development. Because we don't get what we have today all of a sudden, do we? Above all, it's hard to imagine what life will be like in the future because of the exponential growth in technology. However, I think there still must be something good we could anticipate.

p.s. Thank you Natasha for not giving up on us (me). I mean I feel frustrated every time when I failed to express my thoughts. But you are still there with us, even if there's only me. I'll be persistent!:)
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    There are some very good points here @Shiny03 ! We've been able to create so many new things by combining old technologies, it's hard to imagine what might come next. But hopefully when they arrive, we can appreciate all the work it took to get to this point.

PS. That's the idea of the sessions - to express yourself! Keep working at it!
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @Shiny03 - Here is your correction:-

'The best thing since sliced bread,' is the phrase that comes to mind when Natasha asked us the questions. I mean the technology is ubiquitous and saturated into daily life. It has had such a huge influence on human history, but we live with it unconsciously. That simple phrase tells the whole story. I mean look at how we got to the bread we have these days. We culture yeast, we bleach the flour, we knead the dough, we bake them in ovens, and finally, we slice the bread. Try to imagine this, and think of how much work (technology) lies behind the scene? Amazing, isn't it?

I think everyone is so smart that they might come up with thousands of examples of it, but I want to highlight the technology of textiles. When we think of clothes, fashion or design is probably the first thing that leaps to mind. However, there is a Japanese fabric maker, Toray, doing an excellent job in weaving. The fabrics they make have gained a high reputation, and huge popularity in the Middle East, because of its soft, rich and wrinkle-resistant fabric. The traditional clothing, thobe, for men is mainly made of cotton. They use high-quality cotton to spin into thread, then, proceed in the process of weaving and dyeing to make finest and air-permeable fabrics. Just like it said in the article, consequently, technology is the increments of design, manufacture, refinement, and combination that mark development. Because we don't get what we have today all of a sudden, do we? Above all, it's hard to imagine what life will be like in the future because of the exponential growth in technology. However, I think there still must be something good we can anticipate.

p.s. Thank you Natasha for not giving up on us (me). I mean I feel frustrated every time when I failed to express my thoughts. But you are still there with us, even if there's only me. I'll be persistent!:)