Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

What do you think about drones?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 10,331 mod
Drones have become more popular in recent times, with many people originally just using them as remote control toys. Now however they have more uses, taking photos and videos, carrying deliveries, and many more things.

Do you think drones are safe? Do you think they could be used as weapons in the future? Or do you think they're here to stay, and that they're a great addition to the world?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Many countries actually ban them. I think in India (India members please correct me if I'm wrong @ech0pandit and @nidhii) flying drones can get you arrested. I have seen a few in Nepal but again I am not sure if they are legal there. I think that they should not be permitted to fly over public areas.
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
    they're allowed as far as I know @mheredge and are many times used in marriages also but as you and @GemmaRowlands mention that they can violate the privacy to an extreme extent, I think they shouldn't be made available to everyone but some authorities who have right purpose and integrity with the ones who would be held responsible for their actions.
    PS: just imagine if google can predict or TELL the strength of the traffic on the next street in real time, what could be at compromise.
    I stand corrected @ech0pandit but they are banned in the following countries according to an article written last year:

Algeria
    Barbados
    Brunei
    Cote d’Ivoire
    Cuba
    Iran
    Iraq
    Kuwait
    Kyrgyzstan
    Madagascar
    Morocco
    Nicaragua
    Saudi Arabia
    Senegal
    Syria

Countries ban them primarily because they are no sure what to do about them, so have banned them till they can work out the legislation. Apparantly even if not banned, several countries are so strict in requiring approval, fees or permission before each individual flight that they have effectively banned drone use as well.

Apparently some of the countries listed above want to control information, and their population’s ability to obtain it.

https://uavcoach.com/drone-bans/
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I think the popularity of them has taken many people by surprise. I honestly think they are mostly being used innocently at the moment, but there is always the chance that this won't continue to be the case.
    Maybe in the UK that's the case but I'm not sure in countries like the ones listed. Myself, I find them rather sinister.