Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

What are your favourite 'fashion hacks'?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 10,331 mod
Fashion can cost a lot of money, however there are many ways in which you can cut back the amount that you need to spend. These are called 'fashion hacks', but what are your favourites?

My favourite hack to make sure that I have plenty of black trousers and skirts, as this means that you can make almost anything go with them!

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,170 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to be into black skirts and trousers but I now tend to go for blue. I find blue goes with most things other than green (sometimes greens work). I tend to go more for wearing trousers as these tend to be easier for me to look smarter more easily.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I agree that trousers can look very smart. I have to wear smart trousers for my band performances, so I always have some.
    I'm definitely in scruff mode since leaving home. I even found some really tatty t-shirts in a bag I'd left here, which will be perfect for my trip in monsoon weather. The only hitch is that I have a night at a top hotel before I head into the mud of the plains. I am lucky enough that I will be there before they open for business, so I might get away with not looking 5*.
    Today the Guardian is telling us: ‘It’s not fast fashion’: the cult brand telling customers to wear out its clothes.

The tagline for the collection made exclusively for sale in John Lewis and Folk, is “Wear it out”. “It’s not fast fashion,” he says. “It’s important that people wear the garments out.” Folk already repairs clothes that are returned if they have been damaged. “If they can be repaired or upcycled, then the team will make sure that happens,” he says. The same will be true for It’s All Good Folk. “If something needs a minor repair we will replace the garment, if need be, then we can repair it and resell it, or we can make a charitable donation so it can be used and worn again.”

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/sep/01/its-not-fast-fashion-the-cult-brand-telling-customers-to-wear-out-its-clothes?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA5MDI=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
    So, today, our kitchen has FINALLY been finished. So from now on I don't have to wear my scruffy decorating clothes. Well, not until we move onto the next room, anyway..
    It's so dripping hot here that I'm washing everything I wear every day. So I'm definitely not wearing anything fashionable.
    Sometimes I like it when it gets to winter, as you can get away with wearing things for more than one day - which cuts down on my washing a lot!
    I find cotton is much better for getting away with not having to always have to wash after just one day.
    Yes it is quite breathable. If you can find things made from bamboo cotton that is even better!
    I don't think I've come across bamboo cotton though I'm familiar with bamboo, as this grows a lot in Nepal. They make nice clothes with jute here.
    This short BBC video talks about how unsustainable fashion can be. Fast-fashion in particular is a bad thing. It's a false economy - cheap but discarded very quickly.

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/can-fashion-ever-be-sustainable/p07n7630
    For want of a better place to put it, here is an interesting explaination about high heels. Apparently high-heeled shoes weren’t always worn by women. The very first heels were actually designed as military footwear.

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/the-curious-origin-of-the-high-heel/p07sqgpy
    I'm missing something in my wardrobe! I realise that I do not possess any tracksuit bottoms! But it seems in Britain at least, they have become the height of lockdown fashion. Not that I can see what people are wearing at home, but I don't see many when I go out shopping. Maybe it is not chic enough for the French :D .

What about you? What are you wearing during the lockdown @Hermine, @Vok, @verom_gonzalez?

I have been wearing jeans, but yesterday I realised that it is getting a tad too warm outside if I am rushing around. Today I have swapped to wearing a rather stylish pair of cropped cotton trousers. Have to maintain standards!

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/apr/25/no-sweat-how-tracksuit-bottoms-became-the-height-of-lockdown-fashion?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTIwMDQyNg==&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK

But these ones are rather swish:

• verom_gonzalezverom_gonzalez Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26
    I would say the lockdown makes no difference regarding what I wear while at home. In general, it is reduced to old but comfortable clothes. So, there are jogging suits and jeans among the most common in my case.

And believe me, I am not exaggerating when I say 'old'. For instance, the one I am wearing right now is more than ten years old! Almost an antique, haha! I think it is in the state before becoming rag, which would be my clothes' 'purgatory'.

Another important detail is that the colors do not always match, mainly because the hooded jacket and pants can be of different suits. And I do not care about it, particularly.

Curiously, I must be the person least interested in fashion, and I am writing about clothes!! What a paradox, isn't it?
    Post edited by verom_gonzalez on
    Only ten yours old @verom_gonzalez? I hate to say it but I have t-shirts that go back over 20 years in my drawers. One in particular is a favourite that I still wear often.

I am like you when it comes to fashion. I have had to pull my socks up a bit since moving to France though. Everyone, down to all the old ladies tend to be much more smartly dressed than me.

I went out today wearing khaki green trousers and a pink short-sleeve hoodie, with yellow ankle socks.So I wasn't very colour-coordinated at all. At least the grey trainers went with everything.
  • verom_gonzalezverom_gonzalez Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27
    Hahaha! I can not compete with such a colour combination, @mheredge.

Regarding my clothes, you made me remember I also have some sweaters and trousers that date back to the last century. Among them, I can mention a black turtleneck sweater, a pair of moss green trousers and a colourful striped long-sleeve top. And it would be hard for me to decide which of them is my favourite one.
    Post edited by verom_gonzalez on
    I think I have a few jumpers that must be over 30 years old too @verom_gonzalez. I have a thick Guernsey sweater that I have had since I was in my 20s. They last for ever. It is almost windproof. No wonder they are so popular with seamen.

I'm slightly better today. My socks were grey and coordinated with the trainers; no pink top as it was warm enough without, so the blue and white thin striped t-shirt went okay with the same khaki green cropped trousers.