Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain

Who was your role model when growing up?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 10,331 mod
Everyone has a role model when growing up, whether that is a parent, sibling, teacher, or even a celebrity.

For me, it was my music teacher, who introduced me to my instrument. I thought she was an incredible player, and I wanted to be as good as her. I might never have been able to achieve that, but it certainly made me want to practice as much as possible.

What about you? Who do you think you saw as a role model the most when you were growing up?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 42,562 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I had one when I was growing up but much more recently a friend of mine is like a role model because she is the most patient and kindest person who I have ever met.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I had more than one.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I think it's definitely good to have more than one, as they are able to guide you through different parts of your life.
    Sometimes teachers are role models. I'm not sure that I would make a good role model though. I have too many bad habits.
    I think it's better these days, but I don't think teacher training was as strict a few decades ago, so some of the older teachers can be questionable with their attitudes, I think.
    I'm not sure many school children in the UK have all that much respect for their teachers. They do much more in Asian countries however.
    I think it's the minority of young people who don't respect their teachers but, as with most things in the UK, it's always the minority that cause bad press that people hear about the most!
    I got the feeling in more the other way round. And parents are just as bad, complaining to the school when their kids get told off.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't find any teacher who became my role model, it was rather books who brought me upwards.
    But, I've learned you don't have to judge a teacher, just learn what they teach you. It is not important how they tread you, how fair or honest they are. Get the stuff into your brain.

I was among them for a certain time. Some of them were lazy, sarcastic, vain, sneeringly, but also diligent, willing and wise. More the female teachers were really interested in the students.
    I remember when the headmistress read a letter from a parent in the tea room in front of som teachers. She emphasised the wrongly used structure of sentences in the letter and seemingly she got at least one orgasm by reading it. Really that is not a joke.

I've never been before in such an institute where people/teachers were so often ill. Some of them were off for weeks, even months. That made me think.

The only teacher I ever really respected in my life is Lynne, from the LEN forum.
    @Hermine I had a teacher who was a role model for me as a teacher when I spend a year teaching history just after I left university. He taught us not only the subject, but how to learn to think, to analyse and to discuss. These are such important skills that unfortunately get forgotten too often. He was also strict on grammar and spelling, which also was too rare in the British education system. I can say that I have always been extremely grateful to this teacher.