Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Nail art

ElfishElfish Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭
I found an absolutely wonderful nail art kit for only 0.10 euros today:
Swallow stickers! It also contains stars, guitars and geometric shapes stickers and stencils.
Tagged:

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,889 mod
    Are you going to wear them @Elfish‌ ? :(
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm useless at wearing even just plain nail varnish. It chips immediately. I'm just too much of a hooligan!
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,978 mod
    As long as you do not bite your nails, it would be okay having no varnish on.
    I only nibble when they start getting too long @Hermine. It would be much better to use nailclippers.
    I only nibble when they start getting too long @Hermine. It would be much better to use nailclippers.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,081 mod
    If my nails get too long they interfere with my ability to type quickly, so I keep them short. I don't bite my nails, but I sometimes nibble the little backfriends.

(A backfriend is a bit of loose skin at the side of a nail. You won't find it in any dictionary - yet.)
    @Lynne - some women like to cut their backfriends off. It is not a good idea, becaue it
    will protect your skin/nail from germs.
    I know not every person has backfriends, I have them too and I like to use any oil I have at home. I put some drops of oil onto my nail beeds and rub the edges of my nails. Sometimes I put on cotton gloves over night.
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭
    Why the :( @april? Don't you like them or do you think it is not appropriate for work? I only put some on the thumb nails.
    edited March 2014
    Honestly, the nail polish is the one I don't like. :)
    @Hermine, do you mean cuticles?

I don't mind clear varnish @april. Some are designed to help strengthen the nail too.

When you say 'the nail polish is the one I don't like' @april, what do you mean by 'the one'?
    I mean between the colour of the nail polish and the swallow.
    The swallow is put on the nail polish, right?
    @Marianne - do you mean cuticles and backriends aren`t the same?
    I've never heard of backfriends @Hermine. Is this a literal translation of what they're called in German?
    Lynne could you please take over the mic.

Marianne - no, this is not a German word I asked Lynne if they both are the same.
    Well @Hermine, when I googled it (or rather www.everyclick.com 'd it, as I use a browser that donates money for my searches to my charity), I found backfriend to only refer to lumbar support!
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,081 mod
    Americans call backfriends hangnails. They form from the cuticle @mheredge‌ and @Hermine, at the side or bottom of a nail. They sometimes get inflamed and can be quite painful.
    Aha @Lynne, hangnails. I very occasionally get this (which is when I start nibbling).
    The guys in Nagaland are into growing the nail of their p7nkie long and painting it a bright colour.
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭
    I found organic nail art. I had not realized that normal nail art contains too many chemicals for the skin.
    Nail art (2)
    I tend to get problems if I don't wear gold ear rings, as my skin is very sensitive. A friend suggested that painting the stud that is in contact with the skin with nail varnish is a good way to avoid this problem. But from what you say, if there are lots of chemicals in nail polish, I wonder if this will work @Elfish.
    edited July 2014
    Betty Davis became ancient and I bet she had her finger nails vanished pretty often.

Btw, when I was a child I watched a film where she played a wicked sister. She had to care for her sister who was ill, but she treated her so badly, but in front of others she was so nice.
    Once she brought a plate to her sister`s bed where a dead mouse on it, or something like that.
    I hated Davis because she was so false and I coulnd`t figur out that she was just playing a role.
    But this film remained long in my brain and I thought I will never ever stay in someones hands.
    What a wicked sister @Hermine. It's funny how you can identify actors with roles they played. The first film I remember watching with any clarity was one where Raquel Welsh played a cave woman and was carried off by a flying pterodactyl. Somehow I could never take her seriously after that.
This discussion has been closed.