Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

YouTube videos and related articles for learning English

takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Let's Practise and Learn
Let’s try to learn words and phrases from YouTube videos. Also look for articles related to the video you shared in the thread. We can learn words and phrases from the articles as well!
Post edited by takafromtokyo on

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Trying to copy and paste a picture.
    Still struggling

https://classroomclipart.com/clipart/Clipart/Animals/Alligator_Clipart.htm
    edited September 2019
    How do you add a picture?
    Post edited by takafromtokyo on
    I've been trying to figure out how to add pictures, but I couldn't figure it out. Now, I'm giving it up. I'm going to add YouTube videos to comment on. We can still learn words and phrases from those videos, too.

The first video is the news about hurricane Dorian churning towards Atlantic Canada.

Some words and phrases from the video

▪️Hurricane warning is in place.
    ▪️harbor
    ▪️That is going to change quickly
    ▪️tourists and locals alike
    ▪️coming down to the boardwalk
    ▪️when this system is going to arrive
    A friend of mine lives in Canada. Although she doesn’t live in the Atlantic coast, she told me that she turns on TV, and Dorian is all over the news.

I hope nothing bad happens to her region.
    https://news.yahoo.com/dorian-leaves-behind-death-destruction-130110289.html;_ylt=AwrXgSO0L3RdbUYAsA6ZmolQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByYnR1Zmd1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--#

【from the article】
    Hurricane Dorian, aiming for Nova Scotia and Newfoundland on Saturday, has left 43 people dead and 70,000 people homeless in the Bahamas, according to the United Nations.Thousands of homes were destroyed as Dorian — then a Category 5 hurricane — blasted northern parts of the archipelago this week.

▪️blast
    To destroy something into pieces usually by explosives or bombs.
    Tropical typhoon 15 hits Tokyo

https://www.foxnews.com/world/typhoon-faxai-tokyo-japan-evacuation-storm-rain-wind.amp

【from the article】
    A powerful typhoon is forecast to make landfall near Tokyo late Sunday, packing winds of up to 134 mph and the threat of heavy rain as more than 100,000 people have been told to evacuate.

Japan's Meteorological Agency said Typhoon Faxai had grown to a "very powerful” storm that was located about 60 miles south of Tokyo, traveling northeast at about 12 mph.

Forecasters warned that central and eastern Japan, including Tokyo, may see record winds from Faxai as it moves over the areas with winds up to 134 mph, Kyodo News reported. The maximum sustained winds are equivalent to a Category 2 or 3 hurricane.

First-hand look at the devastation in Bahamas from Hurricane Dorian | ABC News

【from abc News】
    As hundreds of people waited anxiously to be evacuated at the port in Marsh Harbour, a Bahamian island community wrecked by Hurricane Dorian, Senior Lt. William Sturrup of the Royal Bahamian Defense Force pleaded for patience and cooperation.

A cargo ship that just dropped off supplies became a lifeboat for many who lost everything but their lives and were desperate to board the vessel and escape the devastation.

"This boat is here to take you to Nassau," Sturrup told the crowd of distressed evacuees on Saturday, many holding backpacks and garbage bags stuffed with the few belongings they have left.

The death toll rose to 45 on Sunday, including 37 from Abaco Island and eight from Grand Bahama, according to the Royal Bahamas Police Force.
    ▪️hundreds/thousands/millions of __

Words you can use to describe that something is abundant in numbers.

• Thousands of people showed up at the gathering to catch a glimpse of the singer.

Outcome of the rescue efforts on the Golden Ray, the capsized cargo ship off the coast of Georgia.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/rescue-teams-make-contact-crew-members-inside-capsized/story?id=65483916&cid=clicksource_4380645_null_hero_hed