Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 24 September 2019 - Online friends vs real life friends

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article about the differences between friendships you have online, and friends you see in real life:

https://www.abc.net.au/life/how-online-friendships-compare-to-real-friends/11456856

Vocabulary Top 10:

dirt - (slang) information about someone that could harm the person's reputation

venting - expressing (an emotion) usually in a loud or angry manner

mates - friends

bash - to criticize or attack (a person or group)

oversharing - revealing an inappropriate amount of detail about one's personal life

cuddles - a prolonged and affectionate hug

emoji - a small digital image or icon used to express an idea, emotion, etc.

curate - select, organize, and present something for other people to see

highlight reel - a general recap of all the most important or interesting parts of something

biting off more than you can chew - to try to do too much : to take on more responsibility than you can handle

Do you think your online friends are different to your face to face friendships?
Can you think of any other benefits of having online friends?

@VictorJosé @Bassa @april @filauzio @dimasago @Manar @Shiny03 @CamiCamille @Diakha @Monik

Comments

• VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 51 ✭✭
    The online friends are not related to distance. It´s not necessary to know in the flesh, but to remain the friendship live, just to have an Internet connection, availability and pleasure to talk (or to chat) with them.
    I´m feeling the old guy in this concept, because I like to talk with my friends, if possible, drinking a beer and laugh when remembering of old funny histories and updating the personal news. If it not possible, I like to call them and schedule a confraternization to get together as many as possible the old friends to make a barbeque. I think it is very important to remain the contact and talking personally with them, to see body language and facial expression.