Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 7 October 2019 - Plans to stop students using smartphones at school

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read about a drastic plan to stop students using their smartphones while they are at school:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/aug/27/highschoolers-phones-yondr-distraction

Vocabulary Top 10:

write up - a written description or review of something

pouch - a small bag; a bag often with a lock that is used to carry letters or important papers

referral - the act of sending someone to another person or place for treatment, help, advice, etc.

showcase - to show (something or someone) in an attractive or favorable way

footage - scenes or action recorded on film or video

crutch - something that a person uses too much for help or support

spike - a sudden, rapid increase in something

confiscate - to take (something) away from someone especially as punishment or to enforce the law or rules

bane - a cause of trouble, annoyance, or unhappiness — usually used in the phrase the bane of

curb - to control or limit (something)

Do you think this action is necessary?
Do you think this technology should be used in other places as well?

@Shiny03 @Monik @Diakha @saraal @aladdin

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that you absolutely can't coax an high-school student to put away their smartphones during class hours.

They would probably nod and whine affirmatively in response, but they would promptly flash a defiant mischievous glance towards you, the moment you turn your back at them.

I think that removing a smartphone from a teen-ager's hand, pretty much equals to deprive them of the only means they know to connect to the world showing their inner feelings and emotions.

Would you cut the umbilical cord off the unborn baby so disconnecting them from the sole two-ways supplying and socializing route ?

Nevertheless you have to cut it off, at least during school hour, lest students end up just warming their seat and learning just how to yawn and thumbs-twirling away.

That's why I think the system of locking the phones into pouches you bring along is effective and should be adopted in any high-schools.

However, I also think that companies running social networks should be involved in solving the problems and do their part too.

Since they are amassing more and more private data about our lifestyle, interests, daily routine, they should be able to know exactly the time when the teenage user is engaged in school classes.

This way, FB, WhatsApp, Instagram and so on could send an alert reading:

Dear user, we know now you're attending your school classes, so we don't want to divert your attention from your education with our stuff; we strongly recommend you pay attention to what your teacher is pretending you to learn: it is worthwhile; don't panic ! It's ok, By the time you're over with your school time you'll be able to join back your friends and get level with what has been going on meanwhile: enjoy your lesson ! See you in a few hours !

Then, the phone screen should turn off instantly as a lit room during an inexorable blackout.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    @filauzio I think maybe blocking access to certain sites might be a better way to deal with this than taking their phones away from them completely, too. Many schools now are starting to incorporate phones into their classes, with online educational sites that they can use for activities. It's much easier for each student to complete them on their phone than to share school computers, or expect each student to bring their own laptop to class.

But I think asking a teenager to put away their phones is like asking them to cut their arm off :D
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree @NatashaT, I think the best option is, as you say, to incorporate phones into classes, just as a way to grin and bear it.

If you can't defeat your enemy you had better make the best of the situation, set an acceptable relationship with them, reach an agreeable compromise.

It really seems you can't remove the phone from teenagers' hands.. probably that has also to do with the fact that the world as they know it, where they want exclusively to belong, is all concentrated inside there.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !