Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 8 October 2019 - The importance of libraries

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read two articles about libraries - one talking about how the purpose of libraries has changed, and why, and another talking about one person's recent experience in a library:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/10/public-libraries-are-not-just-about-books-at-their-heart-they-are-about-social-equity

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/quiet-please-on-the-frontline-in-an-inner-city-library-20190430-p51ikj.html

Vocabulary Top 10:

indistinguishably - unable to be recognized as different : impossible to distinguish clearly from something else

foster - to help (something) grow or develop

byzantine - very complicated, secret, and hard to understand

rewind the clock - to return to a condition that existed in the past

jogging - to run slowly especially for exercise

hush - a time of silence, stillness, or calm especially after noise

three day growth - the look men get when they don't shave their facial hair off for a few days

swoop - to arrive at a place suddenly and unexpectedly

bookish - more interested in reading books and studying than doing more physical activities (such as sports)

musty - having a bad smell because of wetness, old age, or lack of fresh air

Do you still use libraries?
Do you think libraries should still be quiet places, or do you think they need to provide different services nowadays?

@Diakha @april @Bassa @VictorJosé @filauzio @Monik @Manar @Shiny03

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    edited October 2019
    To my regret, I don't go to any library since a long time.
    Maybe it's because easier to find books online than searching in every shelf in the library and then you need to bring the book back on time too.
    If you say library, I would think of a building with high ceiling and beautiful wooden shelves everywhere, a stern wearing glasses librarian and a lot of people sitting behind a desk reading or working on a book.
    A typical old fashioned library which is now mostly already changed in a modern building.
    I don't mind if they use libraries now for other purposes, but please keep those activities separately, next door, so we could keep the old fashioned libraries with their typical tradition alive.
    It doesn't need to be an imposing building, but a building where some people can really have a peace and quite to read or study.
    I don't know; maybe I'll exclude a group of people who like to be there for a chat but aren't there also community centres for this purpose?
    Everyone his own's taste?
    Post edited by april on
  • VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Long-time ago, when I was a child the Libraries were quiet places and it was the place to research and got together the classmates to make research work requested by the teacher of fundamental school.
    Nowadays it seems to me that the public library is a community hub, more than that, as we could learn by the first article mentioned, the Libraries are a refuge where the homeless can find shelter, company, to rest and use the bathroom. It´s a place where the person suffers from solitude, depression, can be meet new people, talking about different subjects, learn about this and/or connected with each other and improving digital inclusion. Moreover, I liked the definition that I read “Bad libraries build collections, good libraries build services, great libraries build communities.”
  • Abdul_WahidAbdul_Wahid Posts: 6
    In Pakistan i used to go libraries but now l left it . I think libraries importance is getting lesser with the advancement and internet
  • VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 51 ✭✭
    I very much appreciate your comments. Thank you for the attention dedicated to this!