Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Givers and takers

mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭
Are you a giver or taker? Or are you a matcher?

This is a very interesting TED talk that analyses givers and takers in organisations.

Are you a giver or a taker? Or are you a 'matcher'?

On Friday 11 October at 8am we will be discussing this TED talk. Please try to watch the talk before as this will give you a better understanding of the ideas that we will be talking about.

(For the transcript: https://www.ted.com/talks/adam_grant_are_you_a_giver_or_a_taker)

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭
    I like particularly the five minute giving that he mentions. Do you find people who are good at this? Networking often can be useful in this. Chatting with people who can help, even if it is just in passing some information.

Have you come across takers? Or do you tend to give only when you think you will receive something back in return?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I am definitely a giver, and I always have been. I feel that I probably often lose out because of this, though I am liked because of it.
    I am a giver, and never expect anything in return. I think a lot of people give but at the same time expect the favour returned at some point. ' I owe you one' is a common response to someone giving help.
    Yes I always feel like I owe people something if they do something nice for me, but deep down I know that's not really how it works.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited October 10
    I guess there is no absolute giver. maybe you give to satisfy something inside you like you need to feel in peace or feel you are a good person. And in this case, this person is a matcher!
  • VokVok Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like to be a giver or taker because I don't like to feel obliged to reciprocate and I don't like to make people feel the same way towards me either .
    Altruism is when you give unconditionally, without expecting anything back. I find that this is by far the best form of giving.
    Vok said:

I don't like to be a giver or taker because I don't like to feel obliged to reciprocate and I don't like to make people feel the same way towards me either .

I agree with this, but I think that the art of reciprocation is very deeply ingrained in many people.
    I like helping people. I don't expect anything in return as I have already been rewarded by the feeling that I have helped. I do however, find it difficult to ask for help.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭
    It's very sweet of you @mheredge .
    I get very embarrassed when people want to thank me @Vok. I hate the fuss.