Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Mental Health Awareness

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 10,331 mod
In the UK at the moment (and possibly elsewhere) there is a lot of attention on mental health awareness. I believe that unless people have been affected by a mental illness, they cannot know exactly what it feels like, and it is therefore very hard to understand.

I myself suffer from anxiety and depression, some times are worse than others.

I thought that it might be a good idea to create a thread where we can share stories and feelings, as it might help us to help each other.

What do you think? Does anyone want to share a story of their own?

Comments

• SarrafSarraf Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I think the most important problem with mental illness is that most of the societies still are not prepared to accept mental illnesses as some kind of medical disease like any other disease and there is a tendency to attach stigma to sufferers of mental illnesses. This means that the very patients who most require help and sympathy from their surroundings would get less of them. This is the reason why the number of patients actually suffering from such conditions are estimated to be much more than the ones diagnosed routinely.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,685 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if many people even realise that they are suffering sometime @Sarraf. There are so many degrees of mental illness and as I see it, it is probably more the norm than something very unusual. I don't think scientists yet understand fully all the different types of illnesses.
  • SarrafSarraf Posts: 21 ✭✭
    @mheredge you're absolutely right.
    One of the criteria of determining if a person is suffering from a mental illness is dysfunction in his/her social life and activities and that is when the disease is so severe.
    So people with milder symptoms don't see themselves as patients and they are not perceived as being patients even by physicians, even though they may suffer greatly.
    That is what happened with me.I didn't know that I was suffering from depression a few years ago
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,685 ✭✭✭✭
    @Sarraf I think many people must have the same experience as you. Sometimes it can be temporary, but it is still part of the same problem.

We talk about someone being 'down in the dumps' when they are fed up or upset about something. This normally would be temporary however.

'Out of sorts' is another phrase used for people who are 'not quite themselves.'