Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

How to improve your reading

mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,662 ✭✭✭✭
This very short BBC video gives some useful tips for improving your reading.

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/how-to-get-seriously-good-at-reading/p07n3xmv

Aimed not just to students of English, it applies to everyone who wants to read more effectively and faster.

But when you are reading to improve your vocabulary, it is all the more important that don't get let unfamiliar words slow you down. WHat techniques do you use to read faster and to learn new words?

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I consider myself to be a rather slow reader. Whenever I try to speed up my reading pace, my comprehension inevitably drops. So I've given up even trying because comprehension is not what I'm going to compromise. As to learning new vocabulary, I don't usually do much about it. I just keep reading if I come across an unknown word for the first time and I can guess whey it means. Having encountered it several times I may look it up in a dictionary but I never learn words by heart. It can be added into the anki and that is as far as it usually gets.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,304 mod
    Hi Vok. Do you use flashcards? Do you ever review them?
  • VokVok Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Teach . I used to create them with a piece of paper but since I've discovered the Anki app it's got more practical to add flashcards into the app. I do review them quite often but I'd call this process "getting used" to new words not learning.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,662 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    @Vok I used to find flashcards very useful when I was learning Nepali. I used to stick them around my kitchen to mull over while I was having my breakfast. Perhaps I should get back into a habit of making them for Italian vocabulary.

This weekend I am planning to go for the day to Ventigmille and will be meeting some Italian friends there who will be joining the French and Anglophone contingent to do some sketching. I now have a very good incentive to try to learn vocabulary linked to drawing and art.
  • almog250almog250 Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Thank you very much for share it I will hope that will help me to read and spaek better :D have a great day
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,662 ✭✭✭✭
    @almog250 you are very welcome.