Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 22 October 2019 - Invisible volunteering

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article about ways you might be volunteering without realising it:

https://www.abc.net.au/life/you-could-be-volunteering-without-realising-it/11491462

Vocabulary Top 10:

acting (dean) - performing a job for a short time : holding a temporary position (dean = a person who is in charge of one of the parts of a university (such as a college or school))

cuppa - a cup of tea

disseminate - to cause (something, such as information) to go to many people

linguistically - of or relating to language or linguistics

chip in - to give something (such as money) to help a person, group, or cause

menial - used to describe boring or unpleasant work that does not require special skill and usually does not pay much money

gracious - very polite in a way that shows respect

out and about - going to different places

pop in - to go to a place quickly, suddenly, or briefly

ad hoc - made or done without planning because of an immediate need; formed or used for a special purpose

Have you ever been a volunteer? What kind of work did you do?
What are other types of 'invisible' volunteer work?

@aza @april @Bassa @VictorJosé @filauzio @Shiny03 @taghried @Sarraf @Alexandra @Manar @hocon @aladdin @rei

Comments

• VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 51 ✭✭
    I had been teaching classes of computation for needy teenagers enrolled in the volunteer program at the company that I started to work as a trainee. This volunteer program called "Jovem Parceiro" was sponsored by the Ericsson Telecommunication company, where the employees were invited to contribute teaching classes as our expertise, for instance: mathematic, computation, logical thinking, and others.
    Moreover, the company was responsible to maintain other official classes to build up teenager´s competence in professional activities, as the dressmaker, knowledge in basic electronic, Microsoft applications, administrative assistants, and others. There was a big challenge for the company and for us the volunteer, because our target was to train the needy teenagers to the labor market, most of them were orphans and depended on the money payed for the company for their personal expenses. The duration of this program was up to them completed 18years old, after that they would sustain themself with the new job if they could get hired. It was a difficult moments, because most of them couldn´t it, unfortunately. Due the Brazilian legislation, the company couldn´t consider them as minor and remained enrolled in the "Jovem Parceiro" program, they should be hired at the company, but there weren´t vacancies for all. So, they were on their own and counted with the knowledge gotten by the volunteer program and hunted for a vacancy in the labor market. In so many cases the company remains the payment for a community house or a shelter until they could a new job and could pay for a rental house.
  • BassaBassa Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT , Never been volunteer in my life... I’d like to say that I hold a deep respect for everyone who is dedicating his life to volunteering or dedicated it in the past...
    But I think that as a vocation it should remains as such! Everybody should free to make volunteering at every level and in every way but at a certain point you should ask yourself: I’m making it because I believe in what I’m doing or just because I want to feed my personal ego showing other how good I’m ?
    Especially at high society levels,lot of people makes big advertising about volunteering , about donations...ok I think this is the farthest thing possible to volunteering...
    For the rest “down the hat” to who dedicates his time and his lives to the others !
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    They call me a volunteer and every year they reward us, volunteers, with a small gift and a meal. There is also Volunteers week every year, all over the country in honour of all voluntary works.
    But to be honest, could I consider myself as a volunteer?
    For helping elderly with computing and organising a dance class one or two hours a week?
    I enjoy doing these activities ( I can't call them jobs, actually ) and they give me also the opportunity to meet other people so they help me too to keep active.
    I'm called officially a volunteer eventhough it's only a small contribution because it has to be official, due to the insurance.
    However, according to the article, not the level of jobs counts as volunteer works, every minuscule thing counts and that's very true.

Invisible volunteer work?
    What about my old neighbour who, from time to time, cleans the whole street?
    What about a lady in my dance class who helps me with the attendance list
    every week?
    What about a neighbour who helps elderly with their shopping or go to the doctor or to the pharmacy?
    What about mothers or fathers who help children after the class with reading books?
    And last but not least, what about mothers or fathers who bring (their and other's) children to each activity ( to the swimming pool, to the football, to the fitness etc, etc) after school? :D:D:D

• SarrafSarraf Posts: 27 ✭✭
    In my country there is a group of plastic surgeons who every now and then voluntarily visit deprived areas for doing operations on those who can not afford the expenses of surgery. Most of the patients are kids who have facial defects such as cleft lip or cleft palate and so on.These defects ,if not operated, could have a detrimental effect on their self-image and self-esteem in the future.
    This group started its work 10 years ago with 7 members but now I think they are more than two hundreds. With each surgery they could make a lot of money and all of them have already made a lot but I'm sure no money that they ever have made could give them such satisfaction as helping out these kids do.
    I think even if their purpose of doing this is to show off or to feel better about themselves it is still a very precious job.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    Hi Victor,

Here is your correction:-

I used to teach mathematics classes for teenagers whilst enrolled in a volunteer program at the company I started as a trainee in. This volunteer program is called "Jovem Parceiro", and was sponsored by the Ericsson Telecommunication company, where the employees were invited to contribute teaching classes in our field of expertise, for example: mathematics, computation, logical thinking, among others.
    The company was also responsible for maintaining other official classes to build the teenager´s competence in professional activities, such as dressmaking, basic electronics, Microsoft applications, administrative assistants, etc.

It was a big challenge for the company and for us the volunteers, because our target was to train these teenagers for the labour market, but most of them were orphans and depended on the money payed by the company for their personal expenses.

The duration of this program was up to them, but it ended when they were 18 years old, after that they had to sustain themselves with a new job, if they could get hired. It was a difficult moment, because most of them couldn´t, but Brazilian legislation meant the company couldn´t consider them as minors and they were unable to remain enrolled in the "Jovem Parceiro" program. It would have been good if they could have been hired at the company, but there weren´t vacancies for all. So, they were on their own and armed with the knowledge gotten by the volunteer program they hunted for a vacancy in the labour market. In many cases the company continued paying for their community housing or a shelter until they could find a new job and could pay their own rent.
    Hi @Bassa

I have ever been a volunteer in my life.

I’d like to say that I hold a deep respect for everyone who has dedicated his life to volunteering or dedicated it in the past, but I think that as a vocation it should remains as such!

Everybody should be free to volunteer at every level and in every way, but at a certain point you should ask yourself: Am I doing it because I believe in what I’m doing, or just because I want to feed my ego by showing others what a good person I am?

This is especially true in high society; lots of people make a big deal about volunteering, about donations etc., and I think this is the farthest thing possible to volunteering.

For the rest “down the hat” to whomsoever dedicates his time and his life to others.

!Note - not sure what "down the hat" means, did you mean "hats off to"?
    Hi @april ,

They call me a volunteer, and every year they reward us volunteers with a small gift and a meal. There is also Volunteers week every year, all over the country in honour of all voluntary work.

But to be honest, do I consider myself a volunteer, for helping the elderly with computing and organising a dance class one or two hours a week?

I enjoy doing these activities (I can't call them jobs) and they also give me the opportunity to meet other people, so they help me to keep active too.

I'm officially called a volunteer, even though it's only a small contribution, because it has to be official, due to insurance liability.
    However, according to the article, it's not the level of jobs that counts as volunteer work, every minuscule thing counts, and that's very true.

Invisible voluntary work?

What about my old neighbour who, from time to time, cleans the whole street? What about a lady in my dance class who helps me with the attendance list every week?
    What about a neighbour who helps the elderly with their shopping or goes to the doctor or the pharmacy with them?
    What about mothers or fathers who help children their reading books after class?
    And last but not least, what about mothers or fathers who take (their and other's) children to different activities (to the swimming pool, to football, to fitness classes etc, etc) after school?
    Hi @Sarraf ,

In my country there is a group of plastic surgeons who every now and then voluntarily visit deprived areas to carry out operations on those who cannot afford the expenses of surgery. Most of the patients are kids who have facial defects such as a cleft lip or cleft palate and so on.These defects, if not operated on, could have a detrimental effect on their self-image and self-esteem in the future.

The group started its work around 10 years ago with 7 members but now I think there are more than two hundred. With each surgery they could make a lot of money and all of them have already made a lot but I'm sure no money that they ever have made could give them as much satisfaction as helping out these kids does.

I think even if the purpose for doing this is to show off or to feel better about themselves, it is still a very precious job.
  • SarrafSarraf Posts: 27 ✭✭
    @Teach Thank you very much
    Hi @Teach, thank you , yes “down the hat” is a way of say to say compliments to someone has made something special something important..
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    @VictorJosé This sounds like a great program! Do you still help them out? Were there lots of people in the company who were happy to volunteer?

@Bassa I think the motivation to volunteer is important. If they are just doing it to show off, it's not such a great thing. But in saying that, if other people still benefit, isn't it still something good?
    I think that companies and the government need to be careful about what jobs can be volunteer positions though. As you explained, there are many difficult roles or ones that need a lot of training and experience - things that people should be rewarded for, and not expected to do for free.

@april I think all those things can be considered to be volunteering! I don't think it needs to be 'official' to count. And I also don't think it needs to feel like work! Maybe the best kind of volunteering is the one where you don't feel like you are working; you are happy to be there and help out.

@Sarraf this is very important volunteer work, and one which couldn't be done by just anybody. It is nice to see that these doctors will give up their time (and expensive fees) to help out these children. And yes, maybe their motivations for doing it might not always be very pure... but I'm still glad that they did it!
  • VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 51 ✭✭
    @NatashaT, Yes, this is an excellent volunteer program. Nowadays, I´m not helping them anymore because I´m working at the company in São José dos Campos city and the "Jovem Parceiro" running in another company unity in São Paulo city. By coincidence, I´ve received an e-mail informing the employees that we have vacancies for those interested in joining the program in the São Paulo site. We already have 75 teens registered on the program and we have 10 volunteers confirmed for the next year. That´s great!
    @Hi Natasha, Yes agree with you sometimes people should be rewarded for; in that case, I would no longer call them as volunteers but maybe as professionals who want to help others improving their life,
    Anyway as you say, if people still benefit, this is the important!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    I'm lucky that I have volunteer works which I like and mostly they respect me for what I do too.
    But sometimes, companies or organisations misuse the goodwill of the volunteers.
    Volunteers have to take over and do more jobs than the staff, not because they can't pay the staff but they don't want to pay.
    It doesn't happen a lot, of course, and the volunteers should be able to say "until here and no further".