Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 28 October 2019 - The scientific reasons to dislike daylight savings

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article which provided some scientific reasons why daylight savings isn't good for us:

https://www.sciencealert.com/is-daylight-savings-bad-for-your-health

Vocabulary Top 10:

blistering - very harsh or powerful

undue - more than is reasonable or necessary : excessive

antiquated - very old and no longer useful, popular, or accepted : very old-fashioned or obsolete

out of whack - not working properly : not in good condition

scoot - to move (yourself, your chair, etc.) a short distance in a particular direction;

ballot - a ticket or piece of paper used to vote in an election; a process that allows people to vote in secret so that other people cannot see their votes

breakdown - the process or result of showing the different parts of something in order to understand it more clearly

do away with - to cause the end of (something) : to get rid of (something)

ramification - something that is the result of an action, decision, etc

discrete - separate and different from each other

Does your country have daylight savings time?
Do you like daylight savings time?

@Diakha @Sarraf @VictorJosé @Alexa @april @Tomer @Manar @Shiny03

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    Yes, my country observes DST, but we are considering to abolish it ... (or not).
    The discussion is now about which time is the best time to keep; Summer Time, Winter Time or both.
    The best for what? For our health? For our purse?
    Is it really that important? I think it doesn't matter as long as we have one same time the whole year-round.
    Our body and our purse will survive and will get used to it as we have survived the changes every six months until now.
    Of course this is my point of view, as an individual. I can imagine that the government has another point of view, due to the politic, law and business?
    However, once again, if they managed to bring DST to practice so many years ago, they should be able to change it again now, right? They are smarter nowadays, right?
    Well, me and still a lot of people would like to get rid of this DST, but all we can do now is just wait and see.
    In the meantime, I still have to step on the ladder twice a year to change (still) one clock manually and ... this session reminds me that the clock in my car need to be set too! :D
  • VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    For the first time in 33 years won´t have daylight savings time in my country, due to the presidential decree. Our new president claims the country is more adapted with actions that decrease the energy consume, for instance, the increasing use of the led lamps on the public roads in the majority of cities, the population is constantly changing their houses lamps for led one and the power providers are making programs incentive this lamps changes. Another fact is the modern home appliances have low energy consumption.
    I like DST, because I´m living in a tropical country and it´s common the daylight remains until 6:30 p.m. Moreover, we have daylight almost 8 p.m. during the DST, it´s great opportunity to enjoy more the day, for instance, to practice exercises, to play with the kids, to walk around in the park, and a lot of outside activities. In spite of, when you wake up is still night, at least in my case that I wake up at 6 a.m., but it´s good because the weather is so cool, it´s better to walk until the bus stop and go to work.
    Post edited by VictorJosé on
  • sohal_deepaksohal_deepak Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    @NatashaT, We don't have DaylIght Saving Time in our country "India", surprisingly, I have heard about this Daylight Saving Time(DST) very first time through your event and then googled about this and have learnt new thing. In our country, we have Indian Standard Time (IST) which is Five and a half hour (5.30 hrs) ahead of coordinated Universal Time. That is UTC+05:30
    edited October 2019
    Wise President, @VictorJosé.
    So you have now the same time for the whole year based on the Winter Time?
    You live in Brazil, right?
    Does it mean that we don't have to change the calendar anymore from now on, @NatashaT ? :)
    Post edited by april on
  • SarrafSarraf Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I think eventually we won't have any other option except to try to have a single time zone worldwide as Johns Hopkins University professors recommend.
    Because even though someone like Shiny lives on the approximately same time zone as someone like Natasha who is living in Australia, it is autumn in Japan ( I mean in the northern hemisphere in general) and spring in Australia (southern hemisphere). So the time of sunrise and sunset and hence the duration of the day is different between these two regions. For one of them the daylight hours are gradually decreasing and for the other one are increasing. So maybe a change in time as happens with DST could be useful for one of them but not the other.
    Another point is that regions near the equator i.e. tropics have less variation in the daylight hours throughout a year as seasons change, unlike the polar regions. So as you move from the tropics to either of the earth poles DST is more likely to be beneficial in reducing the energy expenditure, if at all beneficial!
    @april, Yes, I agree with you - "Wise President"! Besides, part of our population doesn´t approve of some other presidential decrees. But, leaving aside politics. In Brazil, considered the wintertime, we have 4 timezones (-5 GMT, -4 GMT, -3 GMT, where is located the Brazil capital: Brasilia, and -2 GMT ).
    Currently, we are remaining these 4 timezones, in spite of we aren´t in the winter. I appreciate your comments, @april.
  • Rob_NegreteRob_Negrete Posts: 8
    Hi,

Nice to heard that in Brazil DST was shutdown. I hope in my country do the same next year (I don't think so).

I'm agree with you @"VictorJosé" with DST there are more natural light across the day, I rather Summer Time so I'd like that were the definitive time all year.

Good night.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    @april having to change clocks manually might be the most frustrating part about changing the time twice a year!! Do you think they really will decide to end DST, or do they have this discussion every year? (also - I didn't change my calendar this year, only you did!! :D so when Europe decides not to have DST, I can stop changing the calendar... maybe!!)

I agree @VictorJosé , I like it being light outside until 8pm too! Maybe we should have DST permanently, instead of the 'normal' time zone? Did you have any problems with your phone this weekend? I know that I did!! And the calendar on my phone is still confused about what time it is. It seems like most phones were still programmed to change to DST, even though it isn't happening this year.

@sohal_deepak do you think DST would be useful in your country? Can you see any benefits to it as someone who hasn't had it before?

@Sarraf you might be right! It sounds very strange for everyone in the world to have the same time, especially when it will be night for some and day time for others, but think of all the problems with time zone confusions that it would resolve!

@Rob_Negrete why don't you think DST will stop in your country?
  • Rob_NegreteRob_Negrete Posts: 8
    Anytime the subject comes out, the institution of electricity argues that the country SAVES a lot of money because DST.

For house or business there is no benefit (at least not in the invoice); however I think that meanwhile for country's bucket has some extra budget then DST will continue.
    @NatashaT, I didn´t have a problem with the time on the last Sunday, besides my cell phone changed the time automatically, because of the Telecommunication Network should be configured the clock to the DST automatically, even though we have not been performed it.
    For the students of the high school that had a big test on the last Sunday. This test can guarantee entrance to the good University. Some of them had the same problem as me, but they had an important test scheduled and had some cases of the student lose the test hours started.
    @NatashaT , it's not a good idea too to rely on the network for 100% that the clock will be adjust autommatically.
    I came once one hour too late in the class because my laptop didn't give me the correct hour.
    Maybe I didn't set the DST on automatically changing, so it should be my mistake, though.
    Now, every morning after the changing of the hour I wonder if the hour is correct or not.
  • sohal_deepaksohal_deepak Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    @NatashaT I don't think it would be useful for our country, even it seems like things will become complicated it may become difficult to catch the time or another thing to keep in mind about time after DST.
    On the other hand, I believe such implementations made by Goverment Authorities to ease the people in their routine work considering benefit of majority of people and ground circumstances.I can't see any benefit of it to someone who hadn't had it earlier as they might not required that's why they didn't had as in India it doesn't required.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I was woken up an hour early on Saturday, because I had not noticed that my tablet did not automatically adjust to the changed time when the clocks went back a few weeks ago. I was not very happy being woken up so early.

And now as winter advances, it is just as dark at the same time each morning as it was only a few weeks ago, so the change only gave some respite for a short time.