Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Marianne's 8am Friday 8 November session: Work-life balance

mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,437 ✭✭✭✭
Getting the right balance between work and leisure, or the work-life balance, can be hard in a society that increasingly puts demands on our personal space. In France it is against the law for an employer to contact an employee on their personal email address about work at the weekend.

It is easy to balance work and life when you don't have to go to work....In this TED talk, the speaker talks about the reality of the society that we're in: 'there are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like. We have to be responsible for setting and enforcing the boundaries that we want in our life. We need to approach balance in a balanced way. The small things matter. Being more balanced doesn't mean dramatic upheaval in your life. With the smallest investment in the right places, you can radically transform the quality of your relationships and the quality of your life.

https://www.ted.com/talks/nigel_marsh_how_to_make_work_life_balance_work/transcript?language=en

This short video examines perfectionism, availability, time management, fulfilling career, and exercise and how they help in the work-life balance.

This article looks at 'Sunday Night Blues? Focus on Work-Life Balance Over the Weekend' and how to avoid the stress felt with Monday mornings.
However there are ways to avoid this by preparing on Friday, unplugging from work over the weekend, and finding an "active leisure" activity.
https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/10208-weekend-work-life-balance.html

In many jobs today, a 60-hour week is not uncommon.Sociologists say that work–life balance is the proper prioritizing between "work" (career and ambition) on one hand and "life" (pleasure, leisure, family and spiritual development) on the other. If you find yourself in a time crunch, here are some tips for effectively balancing work and leisure:

You might want to try out this quiz https://cmha.ca/work-life-balance-quiz

Not everyone works at a job, but some of think about when you did. Also, if you don't have to go out to work, how do you manage your time, balancing chores and things you have to do with leisure? Do you run the risk of becoming lazy? Or do you get bored if you don't have enough to do?

What hobbies or special interests take up the largest amount of your leisure time?
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,437 ✭✭✭✭
    I took the quiz twice, answering how I used to be and how I am now. The results were very different :D

@Glorian, @taghried, @nidhii, @Alexandra, @Shiny03, @Reem, @Paulette
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Hopefully your results to date are better, then it used to be
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I consider, it ist up to us to design our work-life Balance and leave such life, we want to leave. We shouldn’t spend 10 hours in our work. There are always more fish in the sea. Small thing also matter.

But from the other site, it isn’t so easy. Everyone want be successful in our world and don’t want be looser. It increases pressure on a person and a lot of them are suffering and reducing quality of life
    @Alexa much different and much, much better. How did you score?
    Vocabulary we used during this session @Shiny03, @taghried, @Alexandra, @ech0pandit, @Glorian (where were you????)

Veg out - to vegetate or to be lazy
    a couch potato - someone who sits in front of the TV all the time - lazy
    relaxed, laid back, not stressed

work hard, play hard
    know when to stop
    drawing a line between work and leisure time

Hobbies, interests, variety of interests, learning a language is an interest, if you don't HAVE to do it.
    a lot on you plate
    switch off

ShinyToday at 08:52
    Recently, I found one thing to make me feel jubilant....remembering new words

• taghriedtaghried Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    To make work-life balance it depends on circumstances or states.

For instance, in a young family, they are concerned about saving money to pay bills, rent and other miscellaneous expenses,so the family can't make work life balance especially if they live in a place where most of expenses aspects are prohibitively expensive.

until now I haven't met anyone that works in a government institution or commercial company could cover other parts of their life,like intellectual,spiritual, and emotional side, as commercial companies are inherently designed to get the most benefit from their employees by pushing them to work more hours for the companies' sake.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,430 mod
    @Alexa - Here is your correction:-

I think it is up to us to create our own work-life balance, and live the kind of life we want to live. We shouldn’t spend 10 hours or more at work. There are always other options, and small thing also matter.

But from the other side, it isn’t that easy. Everyone wants to be successful in their lives, and don’t want be seen as a loser. It increases the pressure on people and a lot of us are suffering and reducing the quality of our lives.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,430 mod
    @taghried - Here is your correction:-

To create work-life balance depends on personal circumstances.

For instance, young families are concerned about saving money to pay bills, rent and other miscellaneous expenses, so the family struggles with their work life balance especially if they live in a place where most things are prohibitively expensive.

Up until now I haven't met anyone that works in a government institution or commercial organisations who can develop other aspects of their life: the intellectual, spiritual, and emotional side. Commercial organisations are designed to get the most out of their employees by pushing them to work longer hours for the sake of the company.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Thank you @Teach , for useful correction ^.^
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vision of the future workplace depicts an high level of automation both at factory floors or offices.

I believe physical robots and artificial intelligence algorithms should take up ever larger parts of the human employee's tasks.

Employees will be forced to offset such overlapping of tasks, by dealing with anything else involving creativity, emotional and adaptibility intelligence, which is out of reach to robots and algorithms.

At the same time, though, they should be allowed a more relaxed atmosphere and even more time off work, so as to improve their work-life balance.

Some large companies, in my country Italy, nowadays, tend to offer their employees some benefits to replace wages' increases.

They offer choice among such benefits as free medical insurance, subsidies to cover school fees and books' prices, early retirement in exchange for youth hiring and so on.

I think that the best option, if you can afford it with regard to your family status, current debts and overhead expenses, is to negotiate shorter working hours with your employer.

For example, if you work six days a week, you could ask to work just five or even four days; working part time could turn out an optimum solution if you think you can still make both ends meet on cut down wage accordingly.

I see that there is a movement of people, I think stemming originally from the US, that want to make as much money as possible in short time, even by leading a frugal, cheap life, and become early retirees, say in less than a decade.

They stubbornly make a point of always economizing on pretty much anything, from food to housing to even heating.

It can be reasonable, in a way, especially for younger people, who watch the perspective of a pension as something impossible to reach out to, unless waiting until you hit your eighty.

In this respect, you would rather enjoy your savings and life in your heyday, when the timing is good.

It could be the one choice, considering that the alternative is to feed on such pension's leftovers which some short-sighted politicians have set for you.

moreover, at a time when what you need is just one lived life to recall.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    filauzio said:

My vision of the future workplace depicts a high level of automation both on factory floors and offices.

I believe physical robots and artificial intelligence algorithms should take up ever larger parts of the human employee's tasks.

Employees will be forced to offset such overlapping of tasks by dealing with anything else involving creativity, emotional and adaptibility intelligence which is out of reach to robots and algorithms. At the same time, though, they should be allowed a more relaxed atmosphere and even more time off work, so as to improve their work-life balance.

Some large companies, like in my country Italy, nowadays tend to offer their employees some benefits to replace wage increases. They offer a choice among such benefits as free medical insurance, subsidies to cover school fees and book prices, early retirement in exchange for youth hiring and so on.

I think that the best option, if you can afford it with regard to your family status, current debts and overhead expenses, is to negotiate shorter working hours with your employer. For example, if you work six days a week, you could ask to work just five or even four days. Working part time could turn out an optimum solution if you think you can still make both ends meet on a cut down wage.

I see that there is a movement of people, I think stemming originally from the US, that want to make as much money as possible in a short time, even by leading a frugal life, on the cheap and become early retirees, say in less than a decade. They stubbornly make a point of always economizing on pretty much anything, from food to housing to even heating. It can be reasonable, in a way, especially for younger people, who watch the prospect of a pension as something impossible to reach unless waiting until you hit your eighties. In this respect, you could enjoy your savings and life in your heyday, when the timing is good.

It could be the optimum choice considering that the alternative is to feed on such pension leftovers which some short-sighted politicians have set for you.

@filauzio a few little corrections. I amended your paragraph breaks in a few places. When you write, normally it i good to group your sentences in the same paragraph when they follow on from eachother.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much @mheredge, I'll try to keep to your good advice, even though I was told my sentences ended up rather difficult to grasp when grouped together.
    Maybe, regardless they are grouped or separated, it's all more of a matter of exemplifying whatever ideas are there that are spinning in my mind. ;)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    The secret is to group sentences that relate or follow on from the previous sentence. @filauzio. So for example, when you make a point and then perhaps continue with an example or reason backing up this point, it's best to make this a paragraph. A paragraph might be made up of two, three, even four sentences usually, before you go on to another point and another paragraph.