Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Learn English in July

Tuesday Night Owls - 5 November 2019 - Designing cities for adults, not children

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,207 Teacher
We read an article which talked about how cities are being designed for high spending adults, and not for families:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190910-the-major-cities-being-designed-for-adults-not-families

Vocabulary Top 10:

spread-sheeting - calculating numbers and organising information in a computer program that calculates numbers and organizes information in columns and rows

pivot - to turn on or around a central point

winner-takes-all - a situation where the best performers are able to capture a very large share of the rewards, and the remaining competitors are left with very little

idyllic - very peaceful, happy, and enjoyable

gentrification - to change (a place, such as an old neighborhood) by improving it and making it more appealing to people who have money

pop-up - a store or other business that opens quickly in a temporary location and is intended to operate for only a short period of time

accessible - able to be reached or approached; able to be used or obtained

lucrative - producing money or wealth; profitable

singleton - a single person

fickle - changing often

Do you think city planners should be considering all types of people who might want to live in the city?
Do you think families are welcome in the centre of big cities?
How could cities become more family friendly?

@almog250 @Rob_Negrete @Tomer @Alexa @Rema @hemza @april @hocon @aza @Sarraf @Manar @shiny @VictorJosé

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,207 mod
    I just can't believe what I read in the article!
    Have I understood well the text about these no children welcome cities?
    I've never heard about this kind of policy and I don't think it is happening here, in my country, too. Fortunately.
    Of course everybody has the right to live where they want to.
    If you develope cities only for specific group of people; you will put people in groups.
    Only rich, only families with children, only working people, only doctors, only immigrants etc etc. It's discrimination, isn't it?
    However, unintentionally it's already happened now by making the price of houses so expensieve in big cities, so it's unaffordable to rent or to buy for
    people without big money.
    Isn't it the sense of the community life, to live together with all groups of people with their own diversity?
    To be tolerant with each other?
    I don't mind if a building probably is meant to use only for singletons or couples without children, but not the whole area.
    Families with children have to be welcome in the areas in the centre of the cities too.
    The important thing is to live peacefully with each other.
    A difficult challenge nowadays, but it is not impossible.

• almog250almog250 Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Hi I live In Israel and Here there are families with 8 children even more in the families.

Also, people that al out of children can live in cities or areas that cost less money.

I think the government need to respect every family that want to do children, I think this is important to the family lineage, and for the country in the future for workforce.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,465 mod
    Hi @april - Here is your correction:-

I just can't believe what I read in the article! Have I understood correctly that the text is about these no children welcome cities?
    I've never heard about this kind of policy, but I don't think it is happening here, in my country. Fortunately.

Of course everybody has the right to live where they want to.
    If you develop cities only for a specific group of people; you will put people into groups. Only the rich, only families with children, only working people, only doctors, only immigrants etc etc. It's discrimination, isn't it?

However, it's already happened: by making the price of houses so expensive in big cities, so people without a lot of money can't afford to rent or to buy.

Isn't it part of community life, to live together with all groups of people with their own diversity? To be tolerant to each other?

I don't mind if a building is meant to be used for singletons or couples without children, but not a whole area. Families with children have to be welcome in areas in the centre of the cities too.

The most important thing is to live peacefully with each other. A difficult challenge nowadays, but it is not impossible.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,465 mod
    Hi @almog250 - Here is your correction:-

Hi, I live In Israel and here there are families with 8 children or more in their family. Also, people without children can live in cities or areas that cost less money.

I think the government needs to respect every family that wants to have children. I think this is important for the family lineage, and for the country in the future, for the workforce.

!Note - I am not sure what you meant by "people that al out of children"

If you are all out of something, it means you used to have that thing, but you have used it up. For example: "I am all out of sugar, can I borrow some?"