Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For last year's words belong to last year's language,
And next year's words await another voice.
TS Eliot
Old Year and New Year by Christina Rossetti

New Year met me somewhat sad:
Old Year left me tired,
Stripped of favourite things I had
Baulked of much desired:
Yet further on my road to-day
God willing, further on my way.
Happy New Year

Nepal

mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,340 ✭✭✭✭
Having lived in Nepal and travelled up and down this little country extensively, I feel fairly knowledgeable about it. However, it never ceases to present new experiences and even though I go every year, I always come away learning something new about it.

Famous for the highest point on earth (Mount Everest) people are surprised when I say that Kathmandu has similar temperatures to the south of France - it just rains more in the summer. In fact Nepal has every climate as in the Terai, lowland area bordering India, it is only about 500m above sea level.

Also, it is not a Buddhist country but a Hindu country. There are over one hundred languages spoken by over 60 different ethnic groups in a population of about thirty million people. Buddhists tend to live in the mountains and also there are many Tibetans in Nepal.

Sandwiched between India and China, many people think it is part of one or other of these mighty countries, but in fact it has never been invaded or controlled by any foreign power. The British tried in the early nineteenth century but were defeated.

Often on people's bucket lists for holidays, it is not just about trekking with sherpas carrying your luggage up Himalayan trails. There is so much else to see and experience and you definitely don't have to a fit and strong hiker to enjoy travelling in this country. From jungles and tigers, to historic towns and temples, there is a lot to see that doesn't involve puffing up mountains.

https://wikitravel.org/en/Nepal

This is my favourite place in Kathmandu:

Have you ever been here? What do you know about this place?

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭
    mheredge said:

There are over one hundred languages spoken by over 60 different ethnic groups in a population of about thirty million people.

@mheredge It never ceases to amaze me how so many languages can be spoken among so relatively small popilation and on not so wide a territory. Are those languages from the same family? If I learn one of them, will I be able to understand the rest?
    mheredge said:

Sandwiched between India and China, many people think it is part of one or other of these mighty countries, but in fact it has never been invaded or controlled by any foreign power. The British tried in the early nineteenth century but were defeated.

I believe that it is due to the mountainous region of the Himalayas that makes Nepal almost impregnable. Afganistan is another example that springs to my mind.

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,340 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the British worked this out and so they did not try to conquer it @Vok. Plus it doesn't really have a lot of resources to get all that excited about.

Many of the languages are from very different origins, as are the people, with ethnic roots in Mongolia, China/Tibet, Burma, India and perhaps farther when you look at some of the migratory routes of Asian people centuries ago.