Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 12 November 2019 - Are cats really unfriendly?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article about whether cats really are as unfriendly as some people think they are:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20191024-why-do-we-think-cats-are-unfriendly

Vocabulary Top 10:

aloof - not involved with or friendly toward other people

vermin - small insects and animals (such as fleas or mice) that are sometimes harmful to plants or other animals and that are difficult to get rid of

keep at arm's length - to avoid being very close to or friendly with someone or something

vantage point - a position from which something is viewed or considered

outlier - a person or thing differing from all other members of a particular group or set

lag - to happen or develop more slowly than expected or wanted

stray - an animal (such as a cat or dog) that is lost or has no home

ingratiate - to gain favor or approval for (yourself) by doing or saying things that people like

fisticuffs - a fight with fists

prelude - something that comes before and leads to something else

Do you think that cats are unfriendly animals?
If you were a pet, would you be a cat or a dog? Why?

@hocon @Rob @Tomer @Alexa @april @Monik @Bassa @Sarraf @VictorJosé @aladdin @barcohen111 @saraal @Shiny03

Comments

• VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 51 ✭✭
    I´ve never thought that cats are unfriendly animals. I used to play with the cat called "Frajola" and the dog called "Babi", both were from my grandmother Thereza. I learned a lot about how to treat dogs and cats differently, understanding their behaviors. Basically, my grandma had been told me: "You must not annoy the Frajola, leave it alone. If you want to play a lot, ride with your little car, running in the backyard, you can choose the Babi, it likes to play you. The cats like to be calm in their place." In spite of it, I liked to caress Frajola, its fur was so soft... and during this cuddle, sometimes it started to play me, trying to get my hand and I´ve understood the sign and become to play... but for short time. Differently of the Babi that always was available to run behind a little ball.
    Over the years, with life experiences, I see a similarity in the behavior between humans and cats. Most of the time we aren´t communicative, we aren´t want to talk, we´re more thoughtful and want to meditate about an important decision or a specific theme. It doesn´t matter what... we just want to keep alone in our place, like the cats.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    edited November 2019
    I admit, I'm not a pet lover; not cats neither dogs.
    We are just "friends" occasonally. :)
    We keep our friendship at arm's length and we help each other when it is necessary.
    So, once upon a time, I opened my wardrobe and I found there a cat with two kittens, just born!
    I can't remember what I did at that moment; I was just a little girl.
    I think, I was so astounded and started to cry, looking at that scene with disgust. :s
    However, from time to time unknown cats visit me and then leave again peacefully and that has never happened with dogs.
    On the contrary, once, a dog barked and ran after me when I was passing by. Scary!

So if I had to affirm which animal is friendlier to me, I would choose cats.
    And if I were an animal I would be a cat too, because their character is more likely as mine and maybe it was also because my Chinese horoscope is a Tiger. :D
    Post edited by april on
  • Rob_NegreteRob_Negrete Posts: 8
    No way! they are very friendly. Cats have their own way to express their feelings. When they are happy ask you for a soft stroke, then they give you a little massage and then they go to sleep.

I like more dogs, because they are good mates. But I would like to be a cat, so I could be independent, agile and take cat snaps whole day :smiley:
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @VictorJosé - Here is your correction:-

I've never thought of cats as being unfriendly animals. I used to play with a cat called "Frajola" and a dog called "Babi", they were my grandmother Thereza's pets. I learned a lot about how to treat dogs and cats differently, understanding their behavior. Basically, my grandma told me: "You must not annoy Frajola, leave her alone. If you want to play, ride on your little car, run in the backyard, you can choose Babi, he likes to play with you, but cats like to be calm in their place." In spite of it, I liked to stroke Frajola, her fur was so soft... and during this cuddle, sometimes she started to play with me, trying to catch my hand and I understood the sign as come and play... but for a short time. Completely different to Babi who was always available to run after a little ball.

Over the years, with more life experience, I see a similarity in the behavior between humans and cats. Most of the time we aren´t communicative, we don´t want to talk, we´re more thoughtful and want to meditate about an important decision or a specific theme. It doesn´t matter what... we just want to be left alone, like cats.

!Note - We use the gender of animals (especially pets). I presumed Frajola was female and Babi male.
    @april - Here is your correction:-

I admit, I'm not a pet lover; neither cats nor dogs. We are just "friends" occasionally. We keep each other at arm's length and we help each other when it is necessary.

So, once upon a time, I opened my wardrobe and I found a cat with two newborn kittens inside!

I can't remember what I did at that moment; I was just a little girl. I think, I was so shocked that I started to cry, looking at the scene with disgust.

However, from time to time unknown cats visit me and then leave again peacefully, and that has never happened with dogs. On the contrary, once, a dog barked and ran after me when I was passing by. Scary!

So if I had to choose which animal is friendlier to me, I would choose cats. And if I were an animal I would be a cat too, because their character is more like mine, and maybe it is also because my Chinese horoscope is the Tiger.
    @Rob_Negrete - Here is your correction:-

No way! They are very friendly. Cats have their own way of expressing their feelings. When they are happy, they ask you for a soft stroke, then they give you a little massage and then they go to sleep.

However, I like dogs more, because they are good mates, but I would like to be a cat, so that I could be independent, agile and take cat naps the whole day.