Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 19 November 2019 - How Germany became the country of cars

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read an article about the history of cars and how they are linked with Germany:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20190821-how-germany-became-the-country-of-cars

Vocabulary Top 10:

detour - to go along a way that is different from and usually longer than the usual or planned way

hum - a low continuous sound

dowry - money or property that a wife or wife's family gives to her husband when the wife and husband marry in some cultures

bolt - to move or go very suddenly and quickly from or to a particular place, position, or condition

spin - a brief trip in a vehicle for pleasure

jostling -push, elbow, or bump against (someone) roughly, typically in a crowd

heartland - an area that is the center of an industry or activity

hot-bed - a place where something grows or develops easily : a place where something happens very commonly

think-tank - an organization that consists of a group of people who think of new ideas on a particular subject or who give advice about what should be done

diorama - a model representing a scene with three-dimensional figures, either in miniature or as a large-scale museum exhibit

What is your favourite car, and why?
When you think of cars, what country to you think of first?

@Rob_Negrete @april @almog250 @Shiny03 @Manar @Alexa @aza

Comments

• almog250almog250 Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    1. My favorite car Right now Is Kia Niro because I have one.
    Why I like that car so much, Easy to drive and very safety also don't west all out of gas because this is Hybrid.
    So good for me and good for the environment, and the most Important very high car than I can see the hole the rode because I'm a short guy.

2. I think of cars when I need to drive for arrangement or to hang out with my friends and drive to Tel Aviv so you must car at the weekend all the public transport is close here.

3. In Israel, most of the European not really good here because they don't fit the weather here, so everyone here drives at Korea or Japan Brands Like Nissan, Kia, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai.
    so I don't think that Japan is the first that invited the first car or something I think this is was America but here the Japanese car is the most popular.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    So thanks to Bertha Benz's perseverance, we can drive easily in our cars from one place to the other? However, she never had thought that so many centuries later, people wanted to ban petrol- or diesel-powered cars from the road because of its polution. :D
    Admittedly, I have a car, I use it less and less though, because it was necessary when I had to work or go shopping.
    So if I buy a car, it should not be a big car, it has to be safe, easy to park and of course not to expensieve and quite nice to look at.
    It doesn't matter which brand, I don't have any favourite actually.
    I had a small Mini Austin English car, I had a Japanese Nissan, once a BMW and now I have a small French Citroën.

Depending on your need and interest you will choose a country which produces that brand of cars, I think.
    There was time that I only knew American cars or German cars and then Japan with the Honda's and then I made the acquaintance with French Cars (2pk Citroën cars were very popular once! :) ) and Italy with its Fiat, but nowadays Korean cars are very demanded too.

One thing is for sure, I have a car due to necessity and not to show my social status.
  • Rob_NegreteRob_Negrete Posts: 8
    I like Audi :smile: because of its design is always cool and with a lot of style.

Also Audi's have much technology and nowadays are investing in cleaner technologies, electrical cars.

And also, I like Tesla :) those cars are in the cutting edge of technology and in matter of ecology new models are powered by sun.

Of course both of them are too expensive at this time, but sooner those technologies will be accesible for other brands.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    Hi @almog250 - Here is your correction:-

1. My favorite make of car right now is the Kia Niro, because I have one.
    Why do I like that car so much? It is easy to drive and very safe, also it doesn't waste a lot of gas because it is a Hybrid. So, it is good for me and good for the environment, and the most important thing, it is a very high car, and I can see the whole road, because I'm a short guy.

2. I only think about cars when I need to drive to a meeting, or to hang out with my friends and drive to Tel Aviv. That is when you must have a car at the weekend, because all the public transport is closed here.

3. In Israel, most European cars don't sell well, because they don't like the weather, so everyone here drives cars from Korea, or Japan. Brands like Nissan, Kia, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, etc.

So, although I don't think that Japan was the first country to invent the first car or anything like that (I think this was America), here Japanese makes of car are the most popular.
    @april - Here is your correction:-

It seems that thanks to Bertha Benz's perseverance, we can drive our cars easily from one place to the other. However, I bet she never thought that so many centuries later, people would want to ban petrol- or diesel-powered cars from the roads because of pollution.

Admittedly, I have a car, I use it less and less though, because it was necessary when I had to work or go shopping. So, if I were to buy a car, it would not be a big one. It would have to be safe to drive, easy to park, and of course not to expensive. It would also have to be quite nice to look at, but it wouldn't matter which brand, I don't actually have any favourite.

I have had a small Austin Mini English car, a Japanese Nissan, and once a German BMW, but now I have a small French Citroën.

I think that, depending on your needs and interests, you will choose a country which produces the kind of car that fits your lifestyle. There was a time that I only knew about American cars or German cars, and then Japan with the Honda, and then I made the acquaintance of French Cars (2pk Citroën cars were very popular once) and Italy with its Fiat, but nowadays Korean cars are very much in demand too.

One thing is for sure, I have a car due to necessity and not to show my social status.
    HI @Rob_Negrete - Here is your correction:-

I like Audis, because their designs are always cool, and they have a lot of style. Also, Audi's incorporate the latest technology, and nowadays they are investing in cleaner technologies, i.e. electric cars.

I also like Tesla: those cars are at the cutting edge of technology and in matters of ecology, the new models are powered by the sun.

Of course both types are too expensive at this time, but sooner or later those technologies will be accessible to other brands.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't suspect I could ever reconciliate with the general idea of car, but I did, somewhat, after reading this interesting article about where the first car came from.

My town's current motor traffic situation eventually was successful in growing me more and more hostile to the concept of car.

The problem is that cars are encroaching upon every public spaces in my town, curbing any square meters left of space meant for a pedestrian exclusive use.

Young people can still survive by nimbly dodging such ubiquitous metallic hurdles along their paths, but how do you think more fragile and vulnerable people can manage to deal with all those bullying cars ?

I mean the staggering elderly, women pulling their buggy or disabled people moving on wheelchair ?

That's why I grew an unconscious contempt for the cars, while I felt my freedom of movement was being ransacked day after day.

Now, this article made me think cars can also be associated with a romantic idea of a tight-knit community, where the values of hard work commitment towards the progress and advancements are largely shared among all its members.

I appreciate Germany particularly, because, despite being the worldwide largest carmaker country, it still respect all its citizens priorities and needs.

German cities can have a lot of cars as well, but they are orderly parked and, when moving don't get stuck in perennial jams, idling, sputtering and jolting along a few centimeters at a time.

They provide a very efficient public transport which constitute a more than valid alternative for commuters and general passengers, so that they can't put forward the poor excuse that they haven't got a transport viable alternative.

Not to say about the very popular and healthy attitude to cycling under any weather conditions. With this purpose they arrange lanes within the pavement's width and are very respectful towards cyclists riding along the motor roads and the many green urban areas.

They hold into consideration either motorists or pedestrians or cyclists, when planning and building their towns, that's why I appreciate German culture, even when it comes to cars, which haven't an unquestionable dictatorial power but just partake, at the same level as others transport means, in the public space division.

Were I to buy and drive a car some day, it will be when such highly civilized, environmentally-friendly residual way of using cars will finally make it to my southern latitudes as well.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !