Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 25 November 2019 - Why influencers are leaving the industry

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
We read about some online influencers who decided to leave their influencer jobs and return to more 'normal' jobs:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20191022-the-fatigue-hitting-influencers-as-instagram-evolves

Vocabulary Top 10:

roving - going to many different places

swimming in (something) - having a lot of something

endorse - to publicly say that you like or use (a product or service) in exchange for money

sputter - to make loud sounds like explosions; to speak quickly or in a confused way because you are upset, surprised, etc.

validation - to show that someone's feelings, opinions, etc., are fair and reasonable

song and dance - a long story, explanation, or excuse that may not be true or directly related to what is being discussed

shrewd - having or showing an ability to understand things and to make good judgments : mentally sharp or clever

poised - ready or prepared for something

sporadic - happening often but not regularly : not constant or steady

bode - to be a sign of (a future event or situation)

Would you buy a product or service because an influencer recommended it?
Do you think influencer marketing is going to continue as an important part of advertising in the future?

@Shiny03 @VictorJosé @Alexa @april @filauzio @almog250 @Rema @Bassa @Manar

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    I do think that influencer marketing is an important part of advertising now and in the future.
    It is an advantage for us, consumers, but it would be tougher and tougher for the influencers due to a lot of competitions.
    Influencers have to be more and more creative, but as proven, have to be satisfied with less income.
    Would I buy a product because an influencer recommend it?
    It is possible, but after making more researches first; to be sure that it is a good and reliable product as the influencer wants me to believe.
    How many times I see an advertisement about shampoo that makes your hair so lovely and when I use it myself, it doesn't work at all.
    So even after making own research about that product, you could be disappointed either, when you decide to buy that.
    How come? :D:D:D
  • VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 51 ✭✭
    I consider myself an "old guy" related to choosing a product that I want to buy. I prefer to seek information about that on the Internet and talking with my friends. Sometimes I watch the TV open channel where we have advertisements and see the new products, but it rarely happened.
    Truth be told, I´ve never seen before an influencer video or following them in social media.
    I imagine that we´re living a change moment in the advertisements channel and influencer marketing is gaining space.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    @april I know how you feel - that frustrates me too!! You spend all that time and energy trying to find something good, and then when you finally think you found something it turns out to be not so great after all!!

I think the difference with influencer marketing is that they can provide more information about the product than a normal ad. If I was looking for a new shampoo, I'd be more interested in hearing what someone thought about it, and seeing before and after photos, than just watching some supermodel flipping her hair around in the sun like in a TV ad :D

@VictorJosé personal recommendations are definitely better than just marketing. I think you can trust your friends over an influencer or a normal ad. You might have seen influencer marketing without realising it - for example, have you seen a famous person talking about how much they like a product? That's a type of influencer marketing.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @april - Here is your correction:-

I do think that influencer marketing is an important part of advertising now and will continue to be in the future.

It has its advantages for us consumers, but it will get tougher and tougher for the influencers due to the increasing competition. Influencers have to be more and more creative, but as proven, have to be satisfied with less income.

Would I buy a product because an influencer recommended it?

It is possible, but after doing more research first; to be sure that it is a good, reliable product, as the influencer wants me to believe.

How many times have I seen an advertisement about shampoo that makes your hair so lovely, but when I use it myself, it doesn't work at all, and even after doing research about a product, you can end up disappointed, if you decide to buy it.

How come?
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @VictorJosé - here is your correction:-

I consider myself an "old guy" when it comes to choosing a product that I want to buy. I prefer to seek information about it on the Internet, and to talk with my friends. Sometimes I watch the TV open channel where we have advertisements and see new products, but it rarely happens.

Truth be told, I´ve never seen an influencer video or followed them on social media.

I imagine that we´re living a "change moment" in advertising, and influencer marketing is gaining space.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    edited December 2019
    Thank you, @Teach and a Happy Holiday.
    Post edited by april on