Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Tuesday Night Owls - 26 November 2019 - Creating a daily reading habit

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
edited November 2019 in Books and Poetry
We read an article which explained why we should read more, and how to create a regular reading habit:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190225-how-to-cultivate-a-daily-reading-habit

Vocabulary Top 10:
payload - the things (such as passengers or bombs) that are carried by an aircraft or spacecraft
sentient - able to feel, see, hear, smell, or taste
foreshadow - to give a suggestion of (something that has not yet happened)
sidelined - removes from the center of activity or attention; placed in a less influential position; also means to prevent (a player) from playing in a game especially because of injury, illness, etc.
genre - a particular type or category of literature or art
excerpt - a small part of a longer written work
anthology - a published collection of writings (such as poems or short stories) by different authors; a collection of works of art or music
avid - very eager, enthusiastic or keen
percolate - to spread/develop slowly; to pass slowly through something that has many small holes in it
smug - having or showing the annoying quality of people who feel very pleased or satisfied with their abilities, achievements, etc.

How often do you read?
What kind of things do you like to read?
What is one book you would recommend to everyone?

@april @Rob_Negrete @Bassa @Shiny03 @Alexa @almog250 @manar

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    I used to read a lot during my highschool time; mostly novels (like most teenagers, I think :) ).
    Nowadays, mostly I watch the film first and then I try to find the book and read it.
    It's difficult to find the right time to read, though. Something will always come up and I have to put the book aside and the next time I forget the part I have read and I have to read that part again. That way reading books becomes less and less.
    I like reading about history, war, detective story, fiction and also non fiction.
    All kind of genres actually.
    I would like to make more time for reading, but one hour a day reading won't work for me I think.
    When I'm reading a book I have to finish it in a short period otherwise I'll lose my interest. I won't read enough in one hour, especially if I need the dictionary everytime. So reading one book will last ages.
    I wish I could read fastly and had more time as before.
    So I thank you all, especially @NatashaT, @Teach and @mheredge for helping me reading books and articles together here and to be my living dictionary. <3
  • SarrafSarraf Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Currently, I'm studying for my upcoming exams so I'm mostly reading some particular subjects.
    But my favourite subjects are philosophy, history and politics.
    I would recommend others to read "The wisdom of life" by Arthur Schopenhauer.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,139 Teacher
    @april Are you ever disappointed when you read a book after seeing the film? Sometimes they are very similar, but sometimes they change it completely. If I've read a book, I avoid seeing the film, because I've been disappointed too many times before! I haven't tried it the other way around, though.

@Sarraf You rarely get to read about something you want to when you are preparing for exams! Hopefully you can finish them soon and return to the books you want to read, instead of the ones you have to read. Can you tell us a little more about the book you recommended?
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @april - Here is your correction:-

I used to read a lot during my time at high-school; mostly novels (like most teenagers, I think :) ). Nowadays, I usually watch the film first and then I try to find the book and read it.

It's difficult to find the right time to read, though. Something will always come up and I have to put the book aside and the next time I forget the part I have read and I have to read that part again, so the time I spend reading books is becoming less and less.

I like reading about history, war, detective stories, general fiction, and also non fiction. All kinds of genres actually.

I would like to make more time for reading, but I don't think an hour a day reading will work for me.

When I'm reading a book I have to finish it in a short amount of time, otherwise I'll lose interest. I can't read enough in one hour, especially if I need the dictionary every time. So reading one book will take ages. I wish I could read more quickly, and had more time like before.

So I thank you all, especially NatashaT, Teach and mheredge for helping me read books and articles together here, and for being my living dictionary.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,315 mod
    @Sarraf - Here is your correction:-

Currently, I'm studying for my upcoming exams so I'm mostly reading a few particular subjects, but my favourite subjects are philosophy, history and politics.

I would recommend others to read "The wisdom of life" by Arthur Schopenhauer.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,084 mod
    Thank you, @Teach.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,872 ✭✭✭✭
    @april I prefer to read the book before watching the movie. I never hold out high expectations of the film so I'm not usually too disappointed. There are very few books that have been made into movies that I consider the film to be better. Though To Kill A Mockingbird comes close with Gregory Peck's outstanding performance in the movie version.