Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Marianne's 8am Tuesday 3 December session: Does money make you mean?

mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,437 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in Work and Money
This interesting research has been much quoted. There are lots of interesting articles on the subject that you might find interesting to read if the topic interests you.
https://www.ted.com/talks/paul_piff_does_money_make_you_mean/transcript#t-115225
Does money make you mean? This BBC article looks at Piff's controversial conclusion that being wealthy, rather than transforming you into a benevolent benefactor, can actually be rather bad for your moral fibre.
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31761576
How Having Money Makes You a Jerk Piff made this the topic of a TED talk in 2013 called “Does money make you mean?” that has now racked up almost three million views. With income inequality such a key issue in 2016, Reuters spoke with Piff to find out how wealth alters our behavior – and what that means for society.
http://money.com/money/4225616/money-makes-you-a-jerk/
Having a Lot of Money Affects Your Personality (Have a look at the url to see how the author perceives the way too much money changes peoples' personality)
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/53n495/too-much-money-makes-you-a-raging-asshole-science-suggests
Why Are Rich People So Mean? Call it Rich Asshole Syndrome—the tendency to distance yourself from people with whom you have a large wealth differential. This article however, tries to explain why. Research conducted at the University of Toronto by Stéphane Côté and colleagues confirms that the rich are less generous than the poor, but their findings suggest it’s more complicated than simply wealth making people stingy. Rather, it’s the distance created by wealth differentials that seems to break the natural flow of human kindness.
https://www.wired.com/story/why-are-rich-people-so-mean/
Post edited by mheredge on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,437 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    This article comments how Britain's six richest control wealth similar to that of the poorest thirteen million people. Six billionaires at the top of the UK wealth league have a combined fortune of £39.4bn.
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/dec/03/uk-six-richest-people-control-as-much-wealth-as-poorest-13m-study?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTEyMDM=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
    I can never understand why people get upset at the idea of raising taxation for the richest as surely they can afford it.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    I'm one of those who the article mentioned that they will be shocked if they know there are more than 50 % below the poverty line and destitute people because I thought UK has the strongest economic system that established and ruled by the most intelligent economic experts.

I think wealthy people don't pay tax because the government use them as speakers in the political programmes show to say fake facts or to say how their country is stable in different sides with decreasing in the percentage of poverty gradually.it happens here as well the wealthy people are exempted from taxes and show up in the programmes on tv and telling us nonsense statistics.

Depending upon the ted_talk, the speaker said (In the lab, for instance, we found that poorer people were initially more generous than richer people. But when shown a short video about poverty, richer people became just as generous.)
    It means that the wealthy people live in an isolated community from poor class and we should show them a video about poverty from time to time as a reminder to urge them to be generous!!!
    Wealthy people also can afford accountants to find ways to avoid paying taxes, using loopholes or downright skulduggery @taghried. But I think it is a very valid point that when wealthy people are aware of the problem, perhaps by seeing first hand the effects of poverty, they can be very generous indeed. Take a look at some of the richest in the world like J K Rowling (who was poor herself before she made it with Harry Potter. Bill Gates too is a big donor to many very good projects.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,430 mod
    @taghried - Here is your correction:-

I'm one of those kinds that the article mentioned who will be shocked when they find out there are more than 50% of people below the poverty line and destitute, because I thought the UK had the strongest economic system; established and ruled by the most intelligent economic experts.

I think wealthy people don't pay tax because the government uses them as speakers in their political programmes to spread fake facts or to say how their country is stable, with poverty gradually decreasing. It happens here as well, the wealthiest are exempt from taxes and show up in the programmes on TV, telling us nonsense statistics.

In the Ted talk, the speaker said (in the lab, for instance, that they found poorer people were initially more generous than richer people, but when shown a short video about poverty, the richer people became just as generous. Which indicates that wealthy people live isolated from the poor, and we should show them a video about poverty from time to time as a reminder to urge them to be generous!
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Thank you @teach
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually divide riches into two categories @mheredge: the riches by birth, who are the last generation heirs of a powerful dynasty of entrepreneurs, affluent bank owners, lawyers, whose large fortunes' origins trace back to get lost at the dawn of time, on the one hand.
    The so-called parvenu, people originally from a working-class background, who, one way or the other, eventually made it to the success, became wealthy, rushed to take off their ragged clothes while clumsily scrabbling up the, long longed for, social ladder to reach a comfortable height from where to comfortably watch contemptuously at everything below, that just a moment before made up their daily routine, on the other hand.

I think the former are people who live among us but are quite different from us: it isn't so much that they lack generosity and kindness towards us: they simply don't see us, as though we were ghosts or maybe trees, bushes, benches.
    We belong to parallel universes which can never intermingle.

The latter, despite any their efforts to distinguish themselves from their more unfortunate counterparts, are just like us: they constantly mirror into us: that's the reason why they heartily hate us and do anything in their power to harm us.
    They always can't stifle the need to harass other common people and put before their astonished face the ticket they got to the Heaven, with an unspoken innuendo that you, on the contrary, are going to suffer the Hell for the rest of your life.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    filauzio said:

I usually divide riches into two categories @mheredge. On the one hand, the rich by birth, who are the last generation's heirs of a powerful dynasty of entrepreneurs, affluent bank owners, and lawyers, whose large fortunes' origins trace back and get lost in the dawn of time.

Then on the other hand, the so-called parvenu, or people originally from a working-class background, who, one way or the other, eventually made it to success, became wealthy, and rushed to take off their ragged clothes while clumsily scrabbling up the long longed for social ladder to reach a comfortable height from where they can comfortably watch contemptuously everything below, that just a moment before made up their daily routine.

I think the former are people who live among us but are quite different from us: it isn't so much that they lack generosity and kindness towards us, they simply don't see us, as though we were ghosts or maybe trees, bushes, or benches. We belong to parallel universes which can never intermingle.

The latter, despite their efforts to distinguish themselves from their more unfortunate counterparts, are just like us. They constantly mirror us and that's the reason why they heartily hate us and do anything in their power to harm us. They never can stifle the need to harass other common people and put before their astonished face the ticket they got to the Heaven, with an unspoken innuendo that you, on the contrary, are going to suffer in Hell for the rest of your life.