Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 2 December 2019 - IQ, EQ and AQ

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,130 Teacher
We read an article which argued that AQ (adaptability) is just as important now as IQ (intelligence) or EQ (emotional intelligence) at work:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20191106-is-aq-more-important-than-intelligence

Vocabulary Top 10:
obsolete - no longer used because something newer exists
hone - to make (something, such as a skill) better or more effective
breakneck speed - very fast : dangerously fast
resilience - the ability to become strong, healthy, or successful again after something bad happens
future proof - unlikely to become obsolete; to make or plan something in such a way that it will not become ineffective or unsuitable for use in the future
land a job - to succeed in getting a job
rigid - not easily changed; not willing to change opinions or behavior
agile - quick, smart, and clever; able to move quickly and easily
presumption - a belief that something is true even though it has not been proved
expertise - special skill or knowledge : the skill or knowledge an expert has

Which one do you think is more important at work: IQ, EQ or AQ?
How do you think we can develop our AQ?

@Alexa @almog250 (can you tag Bar please?) @moradelnafs @filauzio @Shiny03 @Sarraf @april @Monik @Manar @Diakha @VictorJosé

Comments

• VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 50 ✭✭
    The three quotients have their importance inside the definition proposed and they are somewhat complementary, helping the workers to climb the career ladder.
    Basically, you were born with the IQ, but you can boost it studying a lot, practicing via academic ways and earning diplomas. So much that, it´s possible to assess that via IQ test which measures memory, analytical thinking, and mathematical ability.
    On the other hand, the AQ and EQ are cannot possible to asses that, but it possible to cognize that during the workday between the coworkers' relationship, mainly in the period of business changes in the companies, for instance, where it will be implemented a new method of management or a kind of reorganization. At this moment, the professional requires adaptability and flexibility.
    Nowadays, mainly inside companies of technology is very important to avoid obsolescence and it is constantly necessary to develop new skills like creativity to solve new problems, empathy to communicate better and accountability, using human intuition to supplement insight from machines. Because to do the "repetitive" tasks, it can be possible to implement an algo or a machine to do it and the employee who will be the high performance is those who choose to do things that algos can’t.
    For these reasons, I consider AQ and EQ more important.
    We can develop our AQ not only attending the specific training about the subject and putting the focus on those qualities if you can, but pay attention and practicing your moment of the mind relax, taking care with your health, having more contact with nature and dedicate time for your hobbies, putting your mind away of the issues workday. Because remember that when we are talking of the three quotients are regarding human behavior and it depends on your mind which needs to be well to have a good performance, as desired.
  • almog250almog250 Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    @barcohen111
    Post edited by almog250 on
    I think this is really depended on the job that you going to work.
    For example, if you going to be a sale manager you should need more EQ Becuase you need to be better with your clients and you need too also understand him in an emotional way, understand his wishes and also
    Fulfill His desires.
    and another example if you going to be a doctor or maybe scientist in the university or something probably you need more IQ than EQ.
    About AQ I think is important for all jobs because you need AQ Becuase in Every job you need to be open to changing and you need to know how to cope with them.

I think if you want to improve your AQ as Victor mention you need to be more open to learning new things and also pay attention to your soul or something not take changes very dramatically because this is can hurt your health and you should accept them and maybe say to your self "every change is for the best ".
    Also, Fulfill goals or things that you wanted to do but you never did for example: to do skydiving.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,130 Teacher
    @almog250 there must be gremlins in the forum! Try posting again (but copy your comment somewhere else so you don't need to write it again). It might have been that there was something in your message that looked like spam, I'm not sure.
    I think to get a job you need those capabilities (EQ, AQ, IQ) but this is depended on the job you going to work.

For example, if you going to be a sales manager you should need a better EQ,
    Because if you want to be a good saller you need to be with good skills of emotional understanding,
    You need to understand your customer's desires and also you need to connect them in emotional and social way.

Antor example if you going to be a doctor or maybe a university scientist you need more IQ than EQ.

And about AQ I agree with Victor, I Think AQ important for all jobs,
    you need to know how to cope with new things and "new adventures" and also to know how to accept changes because everything could happen.

The most important I think to be with an open mind to learn new things in every job,
    and in every situation in your life.

And if you want to develop your AQ as I said you should be with an open mind for a new thing,
    and also to focus on things that you like or maybe goals that you wish to reach or things that you wanted to do like Skydiving, Fly to the US, to do tattoo and more

Most important for what I think that you should do everything in easy, not in stress and to care of your self.
  • SarrafSarraf Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I think all three are parts of a single bigger quotient. It's not common to find someone with a high level of ability in one of them and a very low level of ability in others. Most of the time each one is fairly proportional to others. So I think we're looking at the same concept from different perspectives.
    I think you can compensate for your weaknesses in one of them with your strength in others. A person with a high IQ has a high chance of finding what is wrong in his interactions with people and will address the issues accordingly, even if he was not born with a high EQ. This person will adapt to different changes because he has sensed the changes coming sooner than others, so even if he is not born with high AQ he has more time to adapt to changes thanks to his higher IQ. On the other hand, someone with a high EQ will have the advantage of attracting different groups of people with a wide variety of skills. Having intelligent people around you to help is like you being intelligent yourself and it will help to adapt to changes easier. Similar arguments can be made about a person with a high AQ level.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,072 mod
    IQ, EQ and AQ; they are all necessary in our life. Not only at work.
    They are important parts of our character and we need them in our daily life.
    We are born with those Q's, one has a beter quotient than other and they will develop with the process of growing up.
    We possibly could improve AQ with training and joining special courses and hoping that we are willing to change our opinion and principles.
    What worries me is when an employer insists that a sollicitant needs to have a minimum number of AQ to get a job otherwise you can forget it.
    We never can say: "I've never done this job, but I can learn and I really want to work!"
    And I really think that "practice makes perfect".
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,304 mod
    @VictorJosé - Here is your correction:-

There are three important quotients inside the definition proposed and they are somewhat complementary when it comes to helping workers climb the career ladder.

Basically, if you were born with a high IQ, you can boost it by studying a lot, taking the academic route and earning diplomas. It´s possible to assess your IQ via an IQ test which measures memory, analytical thinking, and mathematical ability.

On the other hand, AQ and EQ cannot possibly be assessed like that. However it is possible to see them in action during the workday, by looking at coworkers' relationships, especially during periods of change in companies: for instance, when a new method of management is implemented, or during any kind of reorganisation. At these moments, the professional requires adaptability and flexibility.

Nowadays, mainly inside tech companies it is very important to avoid obsolescence and it is constantly necessary to develop new skills, such as creativity, in order to solve new problems, empathy in order to communicate better and accountability, using human intuition to supplement insight from machines. It can be possible to implement an algorithm or a machine to do many repetitive tasks, and high performing employee to do things those that algorithms can’t.

For these reasons, I consider AQ and EQ more important than IQ.

We can develop our AQ, not only by attending specific training about the subject and focusing on those qualities whenever possible, but by paying attention and practising relaxation, taking care of our health, having more contact with nature and dedicating time for our hobbies, thus distracting our mind away from any workday issues. Because remember, when we are talking about the three quotients regarding human behavior, it depends on your mind which needs to be healthy in order to perform as desired.
    @almog250 - Here is your correction:-

I think it really depends on the job that you are going to do.

For example, if you are going to be a sales manager you probably need a higher EQ, because you need to be able to communicate with your clients, and you need to understand them in an emotional way, understand their wishes and also
    fulfil their desires.

Another example is, if you going to be a doctor or maybe a scientist in a university, or something similar, you probably need a higher IQ than a high level EQ.

Regarding AQ, I think it is important for all jobs, because you need AQ in every job; you need to be open to change and you need to know how to cope with it.

I think if you want to improve your AQ as Victor mentions, you need to be more open to learning new things and also pay attention to your soul, by learning to not overreact to change, because this can damage your health. So you should accept change and maybe say to yourself "every change is for the best ".

Also, fulfil goals or do things that you always wanted to do, but never did: for example: to go skydiving.
    @Sarraf - Here is your correction:-

I think all three areas are parts of a single bigger quotient. It's not common to find someone with a high level of ability in one and a very low level of ability in the others. Most of the time each one is fairly proportional to the others. So I think we're looking at the same concept from different perspectives.

I think you can compensate for your weaknesses in one area with your strength in others. A person with a high IQ has a high chance of finding what is wrong in his interactions with people and will address the issues accordingly, even if he was not born with a high EQ. This person will also be able to adapt to change, because he has sensed the changes coming sooner than others, so even if he is not born with high AQ he has more time to adapt to these changes thanks to his higher IQ. On the other hand, someone with a high EQ will have the advantage of attracting different groups of people with a wide variety of skills. Having intelligent people around you to help you is like you being intelligent yourself, and it will help to adapt to changes more easily. Similar arguments can be made about a person with a high AQ.
    @april - Here is your correction:-

IQ, EQ and AQ; they are all necessary in our lives, and not only at work. We are born with them, and they are important parts of our character; we need them in our daily life. One person may have a higher quotient than another and they will develop it while growing up.

We could possibly improve AQ with training and by joining special courses, as long as we are willing to change our opinions and certain principles.

What worries me is when an employer insists that an applicant needs to have a minimum level of AQ to get a job, otherwise you can forget it. That means we can never say, "I've never done this job, but I can learn and I really want to work!"

I really think that "practice makes perfect".