Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Egypt

mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,759 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in Countries and Travel
Everyone knows Egypt for its famous ancient pyramids. But there is a lot more to this country than ancient history. (THere's an interesting introduction to Egypt's ancient history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt).

It is also the world's thirtieth largest country. And 98% of Egyptians live on 3% of the territory.

I don't want to steal @taghried's thunder as she will be giving a little presentation at this Friday's 8am speaking session with Marianne (6 December). But if there are any other Egyptian students here, anyone who has visited or is interested in this magnificent country, ask you questions and make your comments here.

I have to say, this Egyptian dish looks delicious.

Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,759 ✭✭✭✭
    @taghried have you anything to share on your country? Can you suggest what sorts of things and places we should see if we were to visit?
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Oh, I remember that session @mheredge . It will be my pleasure to share places that I visited which are not so many. it's only two cities in upper Egypt and another two coastal cities.
    Are there any special recipes that you can share with us @taghried? I have just been cooking a Turkish recipe. Sadly most people who haven't tried Turkish food just think of kebabs and don't realise what a wonderful cuisine can be found there.
    edited February 24
    yes, Kebab and Kofte I though they're oriental dishes but you said during the session that there are western people cooking this kind of dish.
    I'll share recipes for the daily breakfast dishes but now I would like to share the
    first place in upper Egypt which is (Aswan).
    I'll begin with the weather. the weather there is mild and quite hot in summer so the best time to visit in winter.
    there are lots of places you can visit especially Temples, museums and Islands.
    I visited the(El Nabatat Island) or the(Botanical island). It is a small Island. I sailed there by manual boat or small boat(Felucca). When I arrived there was a long path and many palms on both sides of the path. the Island's view is a sand mountain as this picture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Nabatat_Island#/media/File:Aswan_Botanical_Garden_09.jpg

You might like to visit this island @mheredge if you have got the chance to go there. It seems like the (Auroville).of course, there are many differences like the (Auroville) is a city or community but the (Botanical island) doesn't exceed One kilo. But I mean the core of both of places are made naturally.

I visited it twice time.the first one was in the morning and it was crowded so I don't feel comfort and then backed again and It was in the afternoon(late afternoon) where the Island was so quiet. I was hearing the sound of birds and the leave's tree. I was amazed by all kinds of trees, flowers and palms.

To be continued.....

taghried said:

yes, Kebab and Kofte I thought they're oriental dishes but you said during the session that there are western people cooking this kind of dish.
    I'll share recipes for the daily breakfast dishes but now I would like to share the
    first place in upper Egypt which is (Aswan).
    I'll begin with the weather. The weather there is mild and quite hot in summer so the best time to visit in winter.
    There are lots of places you can visit especially temples, museums and islands.
    I visited the El Nabatat Island or the Botanical island. It is a small Island. I sailed there by (manual boat?) or a small boat called a felucca. When I arrived there was a long path and many palms on both sides of the path. The island's view is a sand mountain as in this picture.

You might like to visit this island @mheredge if you get the chance to go there. It seems like Auroville. Of course, there are many differences. Auroville is a city or community but the Botanical island doesn't exceed one kilometer. But I mean the core of both of places are naturally-made.

I visited it twice. The first was in the morning and it was crowded so I don't feel comfortable. I came back again when it was in the late afternoon when the Island was very quiet. I was hearing the sound of birds and the leaves of the trees. I was amazed by all kinds of trees, flowers and palms.

To be continued.....

Lovely description @taghried. I can almost picture myself there. I did visit Assam many years ago. It was the end point of a short cruise that I went on with a friend. After this point, the boat returned back up the Nile more or less without stopping. I remember thinking about Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile. Have you read this? You might find it interesting.

We took a felucca to visit some islands - maybe the one you describe here. I can't remember as it was a long time ago. I expect I have photos somewhere buried away (though I was always very bad at labeling them).

This is another place I would like to revisit some time.
    edited March 7
    Thanks so much @mheredge for your correction ^.^
    I haven't read Agatha Christie's story but I'll google it.

Today I baked (Cheese Sambousak)_It's an appetizer.
    Ingredients:

*White Cheese.
    *Mozzarella Cheese.
    *Handful mint, chopped.
    *Handful dill, chopped.
    *Green and red pepper, chopped.

I combined white and Mozzarella cheese, Chopped mint, dill, green and red pepper in small bowl.
    Because the white cheese is salty so I mixed Mozzerrala with it, tasted the ingredients to make sure it's mild(Not salty).
    Heat the oven while I was mixing.
    Fill teaspoon by the mixture into the (Sambosak), fold it in a triangle shape and use a fork to seal and give it a pretty shape.
    Brushed the baking tray by butter and oil, placed the (Sambosak) on the tray and put it into the oven to bake.

I served it with tea_mint et Bonne Appetit.:)
    Post edited by taghried on
    taghried said:

Thanks so much @mheredge for your correction ^.^
    I haven't read Agatha Christie's story but I'll google it.

Today I baked Cheese Sambousak. It's an appetizer.

Ingredients:

*White Cheese.
    *Mozzarella Cheese.
    *Handful mint, chopped.
    *Handful dill, chopped.
    *Green and red pepper, chopped.

Combine the white and Mozzarella cheese, chopped mint, dill, green and red pepper in a small bowl.

Because the white cheese is salty, mix Mozzarella with it and taste the ingredients to make sure it's not salty.

Heat the oven while mixing.

Filling the Sambosak with a teaspoon of the mixture, fold it in a triangle shape and use a fork to seal and give it a pretty shape.

Brush the baking tray with butter and oil. Place the Sambosak on the tray and put it into the oven to bake.

I served it with mint tea et Bonne Appetit.:)

When you describe a recipe @taghried, this is when you can use the imperative as you are giving instructions. Do this, do that. Put the cake in the oven. Bake it for ten minutes etc. Did you make the pastry too?

Did it look like this when it was finished?

edited March 8
    I usually purchase a prepared one from the supermarket, don't make a dough or pastry yet.
    Its name (Sambosa not sambosak) I don't know why I added the (K) letter at the end of the word. :D

It looks like this as I use the fork to shape the edge of the Sambosa.

" alt="" />
    edited March 9
    I am familiar with Indian samosas which when I googled 'sambosak' also came up in the results. I think that the word is spelled in different ways by different countries.

The samosa I am more familiar with are like triangular parcels @taghried.

The second place In Aswan was(Nubian village). Indigenous their speaking Nubian dialect.
    I had reserved a hotel named (Anakto) it means my house. what makes this hotel distinguished it is building at the bank of the Nile and the structure of some rooms was built from mud, not from cement and bricks, that's why the atmosphere inside the room was mild, although outside was hot. The buildings were pretty which It was filled with graffiti painting.
    There was a market, an old market. Traders sell various goods such as souvenirs, spices, Nubian puppets and so on.
    I think you hadn't missed that place @mheredge as well.
    This sound like a lovely place to stay @taghried. I love these kind of places. They do a good job trying to help preserve local culture. I like the music they have added to this link. Is this tradition Nubian music?

https://www.anakato.com/houses/about/#.Xn8j2epKiT8

taghried said:

The second place In Aswan was Gharb Soheil Nubian Village. Indigenous people here speak oin the Nubian dialect. I had reserved a hotel named Anakto which means my house. What distinguishes this hotel is that the building is on the banks of the Nile and the structure of some rooms is built from mud, not from cement and bricks. That's why the atmosphere inside the room was cool, although outside was hot. The buildings are pretty and decorated with wall paintings.
    There is a market, an old market. Traders sell various goods such as souvenirs, spices, Nubian puppets and so on.

I think you missed that place @mheredge as well.

I definitely did not see this place. But the hotel was only built in 2008 and I visited the area maybe in 2000, so some time before. It is a place I would very much like to revisit. I regret now that I did not take the option excursion to Abu Simbel, only it was very expensive at the time, so me and my friend decided to give it a miss. I still hope maybe I will be visiting Algeria in September, so maybe this is something to think about when I finish there.

edited April 4
    yes, he is a well_known Nubian artist. Not all people who live In Aswan speak Nubian dialect, only some regions do, the majority speak Egyptian dialect.this is another cheerful Nubian song @mheredge

There is something traditional there, The residents there keep crocodile as a pet.once the crocodile's egg crack they bring it into their home and feed and care it until it grows up and its size becomes bigger, then they release it in the Nile. If the crocodile dies at residents' home they take its skin and hang it their home's entrance because they believe this its skin will protect them from envy or any bad thing.
    It is very interesting that they raise crocodiles like this. I wonder if this is helping or hindering conservation. Do you know what the situation is with these crocodiles there @taghried?
    I don't understand what do you mean by saying that ( I wonder if this is helping or hindering conservation) @mheredge
    I am interested in the crocodiles @taghried. They are an endangered species in most place where they live. So if the local people rear crocodiles like you say, I wonder if this is helping. On the other hand, if the survival rate of the eggs that people collect in this way is low, then it could be seen to do more harm than good.

I read here that they are a tourist attraction, and they are tamed for visitors to take selfies. In this case, they are not being released back into the wild. However with the reduction of tourism, it also appears poaching is booming.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/egypts-nubians-tame-crocodiles-for-selfie-snapping-tourists/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/06/crocodiles-illegal-hunting-egypt-nile/

edited April 7
    There is a famous place there called (crocodile house) @mheredge , the landlord has many of them with different ages, He hadn't mentioned the mechanism he followed to bring the crocodile's egg, he keeps them mainly to attract tourism and consider them as their children. he assured us that he release them. I think not all houses there hunting them illegally. By the way, It's sad to know that there are some houses hunting them in that way.
    Take a Free Virtual Tour of Five Egyptian Heritage Sites

The sites include the 5,000-year-old tomb of Meresankh III, the Red Monastery and the Mosque-Madrassa of Sultan Barquq. The 3D site explores these beautiful ancient sites.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/virtually-tour-five-egyptian-landmarks-180974696/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200417-daily-responsive&spMailingID=42294051&spUserID=NTAwNzI1NjkzMDcwS0&spJobID=1741894912&spReportId=MTc0MTg5NDkxMgS2
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My country full of pretty places like my city Mansourah and I feek beautywhen i look to Nile It's looks like you see your historic at the mirror.I remember when I just little boy I had been visted small zoo so pretty and musuem releted to dar ibn loqman and captured to luis eighteen
    Khalied said:

My country full of pretty places like my city Mansourah and I feek beauty when i look to Nile It's looks like you see your historic at the mirror.I remember when I was just a little boy, I had been visited a small zoo that was so pretty and a musuem related to dar ibn loqman and captured to luis eighteen

I'm not sure what you mean about 'captured to luis eighteen.'

@Khalied you cannot feel beauty but maybe you mean that you feel very good, or happy when you look at the Nile.

It looks like you see your history in a mirror.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge Thank you and I think you are from france
    https://www.ciah.biz/content/dar-ibn-luqman
    @Khalied Napoleon got around! I remember visiting Mexico and being surprised he'd left his traces there too.
    edited May 2
    mheredge said:

Take a Free Virtual Tour of Five Egyptian Heritage Sites

The sites include the 5,000-year-old tomb of Meresankh III, the Red Monastery and the Mosque-Madrassa of Sultan Barquq. The 3D site explores these beautiful ancient sites.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/virtually-tour-five-egyptian-landmarks-180974696/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200417-daily-responsive&spMailingID=42294051&spUserID=NTAwNzI1NjkzMDcwS0&spJobID=1741894912&spReportId=MTc0MTg5NDkxMgS2

Your site @mheredge reminded me a situation that happened before while ago, I rode a microbus and met a tourist who was sitting adjacent me and asked how can I go to the red monster, I showed him how to use the google maps app rather than asking people because I supposed that there aren't so many would know this place, including me :D . The tourist's age was old so he had a little problem with technology. I astonished at that time that he was alone because tourists always prefer being in a group or at least with someone.

Another Island in Aswan it called (Philae Island) it is in the middle of Nile I went there by felucca as any island there, where the only way to go by boat. Since the Aswan dam built, the river was surrounded by the (Philae Island) so they moved the temples to another island called (Agilica island) to rescue temples from drowning. In (Philae Island) there Is a sound and light show It helds in the evening by different languages, the narrator displays the stories of ancient Egyptian like (Goddess Isis and God Osiris) with music. It was an impressive show.

Your site @mheredge reminded me of a situation that happened a while ago. I was riding in a microbus and met a tourist who was sitting adjacent to me and asked how can I go to the red monster. I showed him how to use the google maps app rather than asking people because I supposed that there aren't so many who would know this place, including me :D . The tourist's was old so he had a little problem with technology. I was astonished at that time that he was alone because tourists always prefer being in a group or at least with someone.

Another Island in Aswan is called Philae Island. It is in the middle of the Nile. I went there by felucca as with any island there, the only way to go is by boat. Since the Aswan dam was built, the river has surrounded Philae Island, so they moved the temples to another island called Agilica island to rescue them from drowning. On Philae Island there Is a sound and light show. It is held in the evening in different languages. The narrator tells the stories of ancient Egypt like Goddess Isis and God Osiris with music. It was an impressive show.

I never saw the sound and light show but I remember going around the island and taking a felucca @taghried.

I'm curious. What is the Red Monster that the old man was looking for? You're right, sometimes local people don't always know about places that tourists are looking for.
    Sorry @mheredge ,I had written(red monster) wrongly. I meant (Red Monastery).

The tourist wasn't alone. I wrote it wrongly as well, I meant by himself.
    The sound and light show Is a spacious place with plenty of monuments, and each one has its own story. once the light turns on the monument, a person starts to narrative. In my case, the speaker was an actor. The actor's voice was kind of raspy.

It is incredible @taghried. When you think that they had none of the tools of today, to create such a beautiful monument like the Sphinx.

The music to this video is a bit OTT though!
  • verom_gonzalezverom_gonzalez Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you, @mheredge, about those fascinating constructions of the ancient Egyptians. I remember hearing that they didn't know metals. Therefore, they must have had a great knowledge of engineering, apart from the other areas they mastered.

By the way, I didn't understand your comment about the sound. What OTT means?
    OTT means Over The Top @verom_gonzalez.
  • verom_gonzalezverom_gonzalez Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, thanks @mheredge!
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭✭
    taghried said:

There is something traditional there, The residents there keep crocodile as a pet.

Can you really pet a crocodile? I mean building a sort of emotional relationship with one in the way you can do with a cat or a dog?
    I think people like taking selfies to show off how brave they were to get so close to a dangerous animal @Practical_Severard. But some people like reptiles as pets. I suppose they like the detachment and lack of affection.